Weirdest dilemma ever...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:49 am

So the Joe Strummer Tele that fat controller posted in his thread ended up on my door yesterday... Gary's Guitars ended up calling me and saying that the other guy backed out. So I jumped on it for that price.

What a great guitar right out of the box! The Strummer's are based on his '66 Telecaster, and the neck profile is perfect. It's totally identical to the profile of my real '66 Stratocaster. I'm amazed at the quality of the build of the neck, and the rest of the guitar is pretty sweet, too. It's very lightweight... but sustains without being plugged into an amp like you wouldn't believe.

But...clean it up? Help!

... I've bought guitars before that were used and in need of care- like rusted saddles, tarnish, etc.- that I've taken apart and done a great job of cleaning up and getting back to as close to original as possible. So here's the dilemma: the tarnish on the metal parts is killing me- I just want to use metal polish and clean up the bridge, saddles, bridge pickup cover, knobs, control plate. What do you do with a relic'd guitar? Do you keep it as close to tarnished? Do you clean it up? Help! This is driving me nuts!

Oh, and it sounds really good, too, although I will eventually replace the bridge pickup with a Fralin.

SimpleTone
Rocker

Post by SimpleTone » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:01 am

Very nice. One thing missing....pics.

Love to see it.

JXG
Orange Master

Post by JXG » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:55 am

I polished off the VOS crap on my R7, but thats a different deal as it's some kind of coating they put on the hardware. I'd probably make sure the screws aren't seized and the heads pretty clean, then use a dry soft cloth on the rest, no polish or anything. Just my opinion of course.
John

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:05 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SimpleTone</i>
<br />Very nice. One thing missing....pics.

Love to see it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
+1
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

NiallB
Orange Master

Post by NiallB » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:27 am

Yeh, we want pic Billy, you can't just tell us about this great guitar............show us!
Fender Mexican Telecaster with seymour duncan pickups.
<br />Keeley Compressor:Ernie Ball Volume:Crowther Hotcake:Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive:Ibanez TS-808 Reissue:Boss DM2:Boss DD6
<br />
Orange AD30TC Combo

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:55 am

Buying a relic and then cleaning it up - what a strange concept, Billy! ;) Surely the rust and such is the 'appeal' of this instrument?

Oh, I was wondering - do they soak it in a mix of liquid tobacco and urine to get the smell authentic too? ;D Now THAT would be punk ;)
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Dopp238
Orange Hero

Post by Dopp238 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:11 am

I think that you need to find that line between "GOOD" tarnish, and "ALL" tarnish... if that makes any sense. You still want that relic look, but you don't want the whole thing rusted out because then it looks like you just didn't take care of it.

I say, clean it up as best you can, but don't break out the big guns... leave a little to keep that relic look.
Daniel.

AD30HTC / PPC412 / PPC212 / 92 Les Paul Studio / 07 Fender Tele

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:25 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dopp238</i>
<br />you don't want the whole thing rusted out because then it looks like you just didn't take care of it.

Isn't that the POINT of a tribute model though? If Joe didn't care for his guitar, cleaning up his tribute model will have him turning in his grave!! ;)
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:40 am

I'll get some pictures in a little while...

I really love the neck, but in answer to the smell and funk, the neck fingerboard has a funky smell, but I think it's whatever stain they must have used to make the fingerboard darker. I'm going to clean and lemon oil it when I restring it...

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:48 am

Congrats Billy! Great guitar! though I can see you dilemma with the tarnish. It would drive me nuts, but it is <i>supposed</i> to look like that. I'd love one, but I would leave it as it is, just 'cause it's Joe's.

Pics!!!!!:D
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Frank H
Orange Master

Post by Frank H » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:06 pm

Hey everyone, I got to play this guitar last night. AWESOME! This is one non Gibson guitar that i would concider getting. GREAT NECK. I wouldn't do a thing to it except give it a bit more of a thrashing. C'Mon Billy, You've got 100 other guitars that you can baby. Let the Joe Strummer tele be a Joe Strummer tele!

Dopp238
Orange Hero

Post by Dopp238 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:19 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Chat Noir</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dopp238</i>
<br />you don't want the whole thing rusted out because then it looks like you just didn't take care of it.

Isn't that the POINT of a tribute model though? If Joe didn't care for his guitar, cleaning up his tribute model will have him turning in his grave!! ;)

Okay okay... I guess when you say it like that ;)

I'm going to be a sheep and go with the crowd, so my new suggestion is this...

1. Take off all your hardware
2. Throw them in the bathtub
3. Take them out and let 'em sit until they're dry
4. Repeat until you can no longer see your reflection

:twisted: I keed, I keed! But I see no problem with just letting it be tarnished, as long as it plays like a dream, that's what matters. Plus it does look like it's been "loved" on for years... which is always sweet looking.
Daniel.

AD30HTC / PPC412 / PPC212 / 92 Les Paul Studio / 07 Fender Tele

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:46 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Frank H</i>
<br />Hey everyone, I got to play this guitar last night. AWESOME! This is one non Gibson guitar that i would concider getting. GREAT NECK. I wouldn't do a thing to it except give it a bit more of a thrashing. C'Mon Billy, You've got 100 other guitars that you can baby. Let the Joe Strummer tele be a Joe Strummer tele!

I really have to agree with Frank here. And please don't swap out the pick up, it's how Joe intended.
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Frank H
Orange Master

Post by Frank H » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:46 pm

It mey be a lost cause Rachel. Out of the million guitars Billy owns, I don't think there's a single one that he hasn't messed with. Will be a shame to mess with this one though. YOU READIN THIS BILL???

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:45 pm