Question....

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

BillyPilgrim
Rocker

Post by BillyPilgrim » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:14 pm

So it occurred to me the other today that I've never asked if this is different from the way other people see music, but when I listen to or play music I see interlocking (dynamic, moving, pulsing, etc) geometric patterns in my head and that when a song has a boring form or shape I don't like it. Different tone's (timbres) have different three dimensional shapes and physical textures and that different pitches or notes are lines that are orthogonal to my view that have different locations in three dimensions (i.e. some are higher up or farther down, closer or farther away). I don't see colors, or at least not usually, as I'm paying a lot of attention to the shapes, so I don't think it's natural synesthesia. I was wondering if anyone else "saw" / felt / understood music like this and if not how does it work for you?

p.s. I am not on drugs at the moment and this has been happening since long before I tried them. Just so you know.
Byron

The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...

Schecter C-1 Classic, Ibanez GAX75,Rockverb 100

http://www.myspace.com/sweetaddictionrocks

howdy-doo
Orange Master

Post by howdy-doo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:33 pm

i tend to like more interesting music, e.g. dream theater, rush. i find prog rock styles very interesting, but then i also like the simple styles of older rock, like ac/dc etc... and let me guess, u did music at collage??(judging by the fancy lingo:P)
Liam

JXG
Orange Master

Post by JXG » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:38 pm

Hmm, good question... I see shapes and textures in music, but not specific notes.
John

wkturn2008
Orange Expert

Post by wkturn2008 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:41 pm

Thanks for the disclaimer Byron, there are some things I just keep to myself!
Will Turner
http://wildwillyturner.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ok here's my gear:

Jackson Dinky
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall half stack
Kustom the Defender
Micro Terror on PPC108
Orange Blaster
much more

BillyPilgrim
Rocker

Post by BillyPilgrim » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:09 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by howdy-doo</i>
<br />i tend to like more interesting music, e.g. dream theater, rush. i find prog rock styles very interesting, but then i also like the simple styles of older rock, like ac/dc etc... and let me guess, u did music at collage??(judging by the fancy lingo:P)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Actually I'm listed as an electrical engineering and economics major right now, but I'm changing to computer science.
Byron

The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...

Schecter C-1 Classic, Ibanez GAX75,Rockverb 100

http://www.myspace.com/sweetaddictionrocks

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:23 pm

Colors, textures and patterns mostly. Kinda like a 3d waveform. More to tonal characteristics than actual tones/notes too. I have actually noticed my mind going with seasons latley... so a song like Jet's Are you going to be my Girl reminds me of late spring for example. I also relate a lot of orange, yellows, and rippile like textures with it.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:23 pm

I hear you. I try to see how everything fits together myself.
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MSP
Orange Master

Post by MSP » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:31 pm

I see a lot of colours and textures, but I've already kind of confirmed I've got synaesthesia. I see colours for numbers and days of the week, months, years, and I get tastes in my mouth from certain colours and textures I see.

I do think since I started learning guitar the dimensionality of the colours has become more vivid with my own understanding of the individual instrument parts.
http://www.myspace.com/sleuthband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BListic
Orange Master

Post by BListic » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:34 pm

I dont know if this is odd, but i see music completely the opposite in that i dont see anything when i play. I hear and feel the music and make it go where i want from there. I see playing a lead part as a big open black space, infinite in potential moods, sounds, emotions, and pitches, fluctuations in tone, rhythem and speed that can be used or not used at my disposal.

I do see paterns but thats more of a baseline that is just recognized when i listen or play a song.
Bryan
Southern California
=====================
That's the most powerful trank gun on the market!
=====================

corky newman
Orange Master

Post by corky newman » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:37 pm

I tend to go for music with some form of guitar in it...but I also will like a song with any kind of GOOD players or tones..it can be a mexican salsa, as long as some thing sounds good I will listen..I have bought CD's just because I heard a good bass riff, or drum break, or even a nice vocal line...
Most often its the melodys in a song that stops me cold.

MSP
Orange Master

Post by MSP » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:37 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BListic</i>
<br />I dont know if this is odd, but i see music completely the opposite in that i dont see anything when i play. I hear and feel the music and make it go where i want from there. I see playing a lead part as a big open black space, infinite in potential moods, sounds, emotions, and pitches, fluctuations in tone, rhythem and speed that can be used or not used at my disposal.

I do see paterns but thats more of a baseline that is just recognized when i listen or play a song.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I think that's actually more normal.
http://www.myspace.com/sleuthband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blacklight_uk
Orange Master

Post by blacklight_uk » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:48 pm

I don't know whether staring at ProTools screens for the past 4 years has brought this on but i tend to imagine sound waves when i listen to music. It's sort of subconscious though so i don't notice it normally, but when i tune into it it's there.

But...most of the time i don't think about anything in particular when playing, just let my fingers go where they feel is right.
Josh