The best Fender Black Face amp? ( or similar)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

LeonC
Orange Master

Post by LeonC » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:30 am

Thanks Joe.

Yah, can't really go wrong with a decent Super Reverb.

I was at a jam session a few months back. The two other guitarists had SRs, dimed from what I could tell...and I had my VT-40 with me. Crikes, talk about loud!!! Eeeeeeeek!

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:57 am

Haha, sure, I'll just whip one of those up in an afternoon's spare time. :p;)

shindigmachine
Orange Master

Post by shindigmachine » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:20 am

i've always really liked the tone of super reverbs. especially the old ones. 410 is the way to go.

i keep coming back to the idea of selling my orange to buy two SR's and have a stereo rig. hopefully it will be just an idea until i can afford to just buy a super reverb outright. i'd be a fool to get rid of my orange.
Hi. I'm Brad. i play a Gibson Melody Maker RI through a...

Orange RV100H &
Mesa Lone Star 410 w/2 Celestion G10s and 2 Weber Thames 10s

pedals; Barber Tone Press, Robert Keeley BD-2, EHX Micro POG, SIB Mr. Vibromatic, Line6 Echo Park, AKAI Headrush E2, and a custom loopmaster pedal. all on a furman SPB-8.

this band is done but a new one is in the works;
myspace.com/morninggrey734

enigma
Orange Hero

Post by enigma » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:33 am

My 64 Deluxe Reverb! I also love my buddy's vintage Vibrolux.
PRS McCarty Rosewood
ESP 400 Series Strat
ESP Custom Tele 1987
Egnater Renegade
Fender Blues Jr. Fuchs Mod
Orange-less for the moment!

half_deaf
Orange Master

Post by half_deaf » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:51 am

I think the hot rod deluxe and hot rod devilles are great amps. They take a lot of abuse in forum circles though. They have great cleans and take most pedals well. Hard to beat for the $ . That being said, Traynor amps are wonderful as well and are highly under-rated. My favorites are the "blue 50" and the new "custom 50". Try to find a local dealer. Musiciansbuy.com has the best internet pricing for Traynors that I have found.
Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior !

Retired from the forum because of the intolerance of supposed "tolerant" people.... good night

sesroh
Orange Hero

Post by sesroh » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:23 am

I love some of the silverface amps.

ImageImage

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:04 am

I don't know guys, I think Bill might be onto something with the Traynor amps. Lots of good hype surrounding these amps. I think I might need to go to guitar center, drag my Orange, and play away in stereo and figure things out that way. It's killing me because I'm so swamped with the last few weeks of school, and I don't even have the money, but I'm just dying to try these two amps out, the Deluxe Reverb, and the the Traynor YCV40.

fuzz
Orange Expert

Post by fuzz » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:45 pm

Neil, I had a YCV40 with a V30 for a couple of years, it wasn't really anything special, trust me. I bought it new as my first tube amp and I lost almost 300 dollars on resale. It had nice breakup on the clean channel but the Overdrive wasn't too amazing, just pretty..basic?

I tried it with EL34's as well as opposed to the 6l6's and it still wasn't too amazing, I'd say go for the fender.
'86 Gibson SG-62
'83 Jap Squire 70s Strat ala Hendrix
Orange AD30R, DD20, Modded Fuzz Face, Jimi wah, Boss PS-3, RP80

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:07 pm

That's cool to hear Fuzz, I think I just need to buckle down and try 'em out. I've heard mixed things on the Traynors, seems its a try-before-you-buy thing to see which has the sound I'd like. I'm still not sure. This'll have to wait a few weeks till school is done ripping me a new breathing apparatus.

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:18 pm

like one dude ealrier said, i really like the silverface fenders more than blackface ones. a vintage blackface will cost an arm and a leg, and the reissues just don't stand up, tonewise, as far as i'm concerned. you can get a silverface for the same as what a reissue costs in great condition and be fortunate enough to have an amp you might never want to get rid of. i have a '74 super six reverb that'll stay in my collection until i die. best sounding amp i've ever played on. i'm actually trying to get an orange to match it up with to make everything sound louder.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

fuzz
Orange Expert

Post by fuzz » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:59 pm

Yeah, seriously though, if you check out craigslist and local listings you can get a rivera fender for dirt cheap, I really need to retube mine. I hate having no money, and my clean channel not being so clean.
'86 Gibson SG-62
'83 Jap Squire 70s Strat ala Hendrix
Orange AD30R, DD20, Modded Fuzz Face, Jimi wah, Boss PS-3, RP80

professor plum
Orange Master

Post by professor plum » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:02 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chinese fork tie</i>
<br />like one dude ealrier said, i really like the silverface fenders more than blackface ones. a vintage blackface will cost an arm and a leg, and the reissues just don't stand up, tonewise, as far as i'm concerned. you can get a silverface for the same as what a reissue costs in great condition and be fortunate enough to have an amp you might never want to get rid of. i have a '74 super six reverb that'll stay in my collection until i die. best sounding amp i've ever played on. i'm actually trying to get an orange to match it up with to make everything sound louder.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

those super 6's are BOSS! :D:D:D

any pics dude!?
valve.(((J0HN)))Resident village idiot
and some tech helper type said, "Gee, Mr Atkins, that guitar sure sounds fabulous!" Chet put the guitar on it's stand and said, "Well, how does it sound now?"

sesroh
Orange Hero

Post by sesroh » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:29 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by professor plum</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chinese fork tie</i>
<br />like one dude ealrier said, i really like the silverface fenders more than blackface ones. a vintage blackface will cost an arm and a leg, and the reissues just don't stand up, tonewise, as far as i'm concerned. you can get a silverface for the same as what a reissue costs in great condition and be fortunate enough to have an amp you might never want to get rid of. i have a '74 super six reverb that'll stay in my collection until i die. best sounding amp i've ever played on. i'm actually trying to get an orange to match it up with to make everything sound louder.

any pics dude!?

I also want to see pics.

Also, how do you transport or move that thing!? [:p]
I had one offered to me at some point for a decent price. It was in amazing condition too. Just way too big haha. I had a 70s Super Reverb and even that broke my back.
ImageImage

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:48 am

Yeah, those things look awesome, but they're the combo equivalent of a full stack. :) That's why I like the idea of a deluxe: great little power punch!

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:52 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sesroh</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by professor plum</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chinese fork tie</i>

any pics dude!?

I also want to see pics.

Also, how do you transport or move that thing!? [:p]
I had one offered to me at some point for a decent price. It was in amazing condition too. Just way too big haha. I had a 70s Super Reverb and even that broke my back.

only pic that exists of my baby.

as far as transporting that thing, let's just say i'm glad i have a grand cherokee now to move that with my rhodes and everything else. could probably still fit a drumset in that car with my amp, the rhodes and my guitars and pedals.

<b>edit</b>
surprisingly enough, even when i'm wasted, i can move that amp by myself and not break my back. and i'm a small kid.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?