The best Fender Black Face amp? ( or similar)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:47 am

So I'm bidding on a Pro Reverb amp on ebay, and I'm not sure if it's the best one out there, but it sounds pretty sweet from what I've read.

I'm trying to get a black face clean to run in "stereo" with my rocker to get some really punchy lead tones, so that when I step into a solo, it really stands out. I'll worry about OD or pedals later, but I'm looking between these amps:

Fender Deluxe Reverb
Fender Pro Reverb
Peavey Delta Blues
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

I keep thinking the Deluxe Reverb is what I need. What is your favorite fender black face-type amp?

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:53 am

The best one made now is the Vibroverb 64 .The best one made then?? I would be in serious search for a Vibrolux.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:57 am

Does it nail a good over driven blues tone? I'm aiming for the Deluxe Reverb because of the 22 watts, and the smaller size, as well as the $600 or so price tag.

Shoot. I just sold my strat on ebay. Awesome. $250 for the new amp fund.

d.vid
Tiny Terror

Post by d.vid » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:00 am

I had an original 65 Deluxe Reverb(pic in my quote).. i loved it, but i was always having so many problems with it. so, sadly, i traded it in for my R30 and 2x12 cab (which i love!). but i miss do the heck out of the old Deluxe :(. the good news is that the music shop i traded it at is keeping it with their vintage collection. so i can go in and play it whenever i want. :)
-David

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:02 am

My Vibroverb ,and my retro 50 are the only two amps I really care about in this world.I wish I had the money to buy a few more.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:06 am

I do like the idea of a 15" speaker for jazz and such. I guess the thing is that my Rocker 30 just isn't doing it for me as of late, in the past few weeks. Maybe my ears are off or something, but I want to be able to really step out and solo, and get a really great clean, and the R30 is great, even the clean, but I need something else. Clay, I think the Vibroverb is a little too pricey for me: my wife is having a baby, and I've got to get saving up to bring him/her into the world. :) So I think it might be a Deluxe. Unless I get this Proverb for $450.

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:23 am

The Deluxe is a great amp, just don't go buy a Superchamp, unless you want to go to bed dreaming about those lovely noises that it produces.I am going to burn mine at the stake ,soon. Very soon.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:54 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bluz57</i>
<br />The Deluxe is a great amp, just don't go buy a Superchamp, unless you want to go to bed dreaming about those lovely noises that it produces.I am going to burn mine at the stake ,soon. Very soon.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Haha, I DID buy a super champ, and it only made me want a bigger, less digital black face amp. The super champ can nail some ok tones, but it's a nifty practice amp at best, and I need something better. The Deluxe looks to be a really cool amp, not a toy, and everyone loves them, from rock to blues to country to pop.

Heartsndspades
Orange Master

Post by Heartsndspades » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:54 am

clayy!!! tell me more about your thinline!!! its so pretty. what kind of bridge/saddles do you have on there, should i upgrade my stock ones?
Bass: orange-ad200b, obc4x10, obc1x15/ ampeg b-15/ fender Jazz/ 74' gibson grabber/ peterson stobeostomp/ ehx deluxe memory man/ malekko b:assmaster/ voodoo labs pedal power 2+/ monster bass cables
Guitar: Fender 69' Tele Thinline/ Ampeg B-15
*korey*

anolanbfg
Orange Hero

Post by anolanbfg » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:46 pm

I have the Deluxe and a R30- the cleans/ mild overdrives of the deluxe are absolutely out of this world- beautiful. great with a strat or a les Paul- it is my main amp

I would try it if possible- it will overdrive in a very distinct way, very like vintage BB King live at San Quentin to my ears- it has a kind of raspy quality to it- it may or may not be what you're after. The non vibrato channel has some of the best overdrive I have ever heard- the 2 channels are quite different in how they behave, I have a warmer overdrive pedal for the vibrato channel and a brighter one for the non vibrato channel.

Brilliant price point but mine already broke down after 2 months of moderate use- touch wood it has been going fine since

I would recommend, it's also about a stone lighter than the r30c
Fender Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Taylor 310- Koa
Orange Rocker 30

DoctorJay
Orange Expert

Post by DoctorJay » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:53 pm

Congrats on the imminent arrival Neil. You're going to have to think rationally soon about music and gear, which are by nature irrational subjects. It's hard, but change is.

I can't advise you about the amps though, sorry.
Jarret
Duesenberg Starplayer TV, American Special Tele (white)
Alvarez AJ60 12-string Jumbo acoustic, Takamine EF340
TT, 410 Cabinet, H&K Tubemeister 18 combo
Meinl Pickup Cajon

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:14 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoctorJay</i>
<br />Congrats on the imminent arrival Neil. You're going to have to think rationally soon about music and gear, which are by nature irrational subjects. It's hard, but change is.

I can't advise you about the amps though, sorry.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Haha, thanks DoctorJay, I hear ya. Just makes me keep going through college so I can have the time and money to be with my family and still have some "guilty pleasures", AKA guitars. :)

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:21 pm

I like the SuperSonic Head. Looks like a BF with Cream Tolex and has the Gain you may want later.
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:24 pm

I think I'll be keeping my Rocker 30, perhaps, and if so, I'll not worry about the gain, I just want some light clean stuff that has some punch and guts to it.

corky newman
Orange Master

Post by corky newman » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:33 pm

The vibros were great ...about the best I have played on was a very early blackface deluxe...my old black face Pro reverb was killer after I put green backs in it..played that amp for years...