OT: Mic windshields

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Post by ESBlonde » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:45 pm

If you are getting a shock, STOP!

There is no gig on earth worth your life.

None.

Not one.

Get the problem sorted before you go on.

Wet foam pop shields conduct just like bear metal.

Electricity kills and thats one mistake you shouldn't make once!

People wake up here, please.

If it's you're amp, borrow someone elses, bugger your tone and stay safe.

You must take this responsibility yourself.

Always but always have a 3 core earthed lead on your amplifier and get a cheap socket tester from B&Q / Homebase / Whoever (cost about £8.00) it has 3 little lights that must all light correctly before you plug in to show the wall socket/extension lead is safe. Then add an RCD (residual current device) also about £8.00) before the plug. One RCD for all you backline is acceptable as long as you power runs through it.

I am not a qualified electricial engineer, but people have died on stage/reherasals in a not recoverable way. One guitarist I know had his hands and lips badly burnt before a quick witted singer pulled the plug out the wall and saved his life. I never forgot that lesson.
Here we go; three, four...

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:55 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ESBlonde</i>
<br />If you are getting a shock, STOP!

There is no gig on earth worth your life.

None.

Not one.

Get the problem sorted before you go on.

Wet foam pop shields conduct just like bear metal.

Electricity kills and thats one mistake you shouldn't make once!

People wake up here, please.

If it's you're amp, borrow someone elses, bugger your tone and stay safe.

You must take this responsibility yourself.

Always but always have a 3 core earthed lead on your amplifier and get a cheap socket tester from B&Q / Homebase / Whoever (cost about £8.00) it has 3 little lights that must all light correctly before you plug in to show the wall socket/extension lead is safe. Then add an RCD (residual current device) also about £8.00) before the plug. One RCD for all you backline is acceptable as long as you power runs through it.

I am not a qualified electricial engineer, but people have died on stage/reherasals in a not recoverable way. One guitarist I know had his hands and lips badly burnt before a quick witted singer pulled the plug out the wall and saved his life. I never forgot that lesson.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yikes. Not a bad idea at all. Plug maybe it would help my reputation by making me seem more rock star like. Ever heard of Pedro the Lion? That guy's got a lot of "street cred" because there's lots of rumors of him being very temperamental. I don't even know if they're true, but there out there! ;)

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:02 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Neiloler</i>
<br />or did you mean these? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=421331?

I would like to pick some of these up, because playing in a place with faulty wiring sends shocks to my lips, and that really stinks (yes, and it could be deadly).
I like them.

Would be good to have one in your bag if you're somewhere where you have to share mics, I mean ewww, is it just me who thinks community mics smell like wet dog. I know, I know, not very rock 'n' roll, but still ewwwwww!
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:21 pm

No, yeah, mics are gross...I once told a crowd of people that if they came and stood by the stage, I'd like the mic........they came.....they stood..... I licked..... :x

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:25 pm

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww..
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DAVESOUNDS
Rocker

Post by DAVESOUNDS » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:33 pm

Allways use em!
seems to keep my mics looking and sounding like new
allso when the drummer hits one it softens the damage to
the mic head and the diapragms in the PA tweeters!
Heres a gig just before i put the SM 58s out
cheers

DAVESOUNDS

damienwatt_au
Orange Master

Post by damienwatt_au » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:37 pm

i suggest latex lips, its non conductive yet it doesnt mess with ur tone.
i believe robin used a simular aproach when kissing poision ivy in bat man forever, i think one of the later movies anyways

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:25 pm

I once had that issue... my AC30 wasn't grounded because I was a numpty and I we were practicing at home. My mic gave me this incredible shock that almost knocked me flat on my arse. I plugged in my Twin which had a ground plug and got a 3 prong fitted to the AC30 ASAP!
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

hero
Tiny Terror

Post by hero » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:21 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ESBlonde</i>
<br />Wet foam pop shields conduct just like bear metal.

haha i think you mean bare metal...

good point though.
Jason Turner.