Xotic AC Booster ?s

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

JJMellow
Rocker

Post by JJMellow » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:10 am

Im looking for a pedal that when playing like acdc crunch, and i come to a solo that will give me not only a boost in volume but some gain as well, from doing lots of research ive come to conlude this might be a great pedal for me, any input? thanks.

mrhappy
Tiny Terror

Post by mrhappy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:07 am

Kinda depends on your amp and how you're using it but from the minimal info that you posted... You might be better off with the RC Booster or the BB preamp.
MH

JJMellow
Rocker

Post by JJMellow » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:09 am

im using the rv50 with settings of the british crunch sound, just looking to spice it up for leads,

notagain

Post by notagain » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:28 am

Check corky's thread earlier today about the AC boost.
If you are going to take anyone's advise, he is one of
the best, by far!

http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?t=25947

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:30 am

I like the AC too. Sounds great on the RV50 clean channel. Great pedal - all that Xotic stuff is great (except for maybe the newer models - jury is still out, from what I hear).
Greg

hero
Tiny Terror

Post by hero » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:00 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mrhappy</i>
<br />Kinda depends on your amp and how you're using it but from the minimal info that you posted... You might be better off with the RC Booster or the BB preamp.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

i think the RC booster has less gain than the AC booster, the BB preamp has more gain than the AC booster... so you kinda can't suggest both of those pedals, it has to be one way or the other. But personally i think the ac booster would be the right choice... it gives a volume boost and low to medium gain/crunch depending on the settings. the bb preamp will be a bit more versatile so if you might want more gain than the ac booster than its probably a better option. the RC booster will just give you a clean volume boost and little or no crunch at all.
Jason Turner.

sleejay
Orange Expert

Post by sleejay » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:14 am

AC(Yellow) vs Red (BB),
which one is less compressed, and more open??
-Dai

JJMellow
Rocker

Post by JJMellow » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:16 am

i should have mentioned that i plan on using this boost on my distortion channel, because my tube screamer is not doing the job, makes it to nasily. thanks

corky newman
Orange Master

Post by corky newman » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:47 pm

I just played the AC booster on the dirty channel of a RV50 combo last night...keep the gain at 9:oclock and the level at about 1"oclock..and the bass at 11:oclock and the treble at 1:oclock..
the lead tone boost was awesome..very thick with a nice feel behind the notes..kinda made ya wanna play better..hard to explain.
I had trouble in the past with cornfords & pedals..The cornfords can get brittle in the hi end when you push them..the AC really smooths that out...I also got a nice bright snap when I increased the treble on the pedal when playing it on the RV50..
My friend Rich that owns the RV combo is running out today to find a AC booster...hope this helps...

BListic
Orange Master

Post by BListic » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:01 pm

i have read good things about both the Xotic and the BB brand pedals. I dont think you can loose with either of these on the RV50. Basically your just using this for leads? because the plan rv dirt channel easily gets the acdc tone for me. You might want to look at a zvex pedal also, super hard on i heard is a really good pedal.
Bryan
Southern California
=====================
That's the most powerful trank gun on the market!
=====================

naranja
Tiny Terror

Post by naranja » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:38 pm

What is the difference between the ac and rc boost pedals, I am going to use it wuth my TT, and Uberschall when i get it.
Les Paul Studio, Orange AD140 TC, Tiny Terror and a PPc2x12, and more on the way

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:13 pm

AC has much more gain than the RC. The RC is really 'gainless' in a way... it is more of a 'tone tool' than it is a distortion or overdrive.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:24 am

Corky,

My AC sounds rather dark, almost muddy compared to the BB on my RV50 clean channel. I wonder if somethings wrong with it.....?

benlink

Post by benlink » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:28 pm

no there is nothing wrong...
actually the AC has less gain than the BB preamp so , it will sound more open and less compressed if you max the gain on both....and the AC will get a bit muddy in this case... but it's WARM!!!
The BB preamp has also a warm sound, especially in the trebles, but remains really precise even in high gain settings...
Both sound GREAT as boosters, the BB might be more versatile as an overdrive....the rest is a matter of voicing....even if they are close, the BB (which stands for bluesbreaker) is really on the british side....
Hope Ive helped :)