EMMA ReezaFRATzitz

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Ale
Rocker

Post by Ale » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:42 pm

Hey Wired!since you owned the Emma can you give me more info about the sound of the pedal?thank you
Music is the best lover...

GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO

MARTIN DC 16E PREMIUM PLUS

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:58 pm

The Emma has a pretty wide tonal spectrum, and it's quite heavy in tone. I liked its thicker bodied tones a lot more than the more brittle tones that it's capable of. But it's a versatile pedal that should not be ignored.

What I liked about it was that it retained it's clarity without being muddy or overly bright. The process of me testing pedals involved me playing on the neck pickup of my Les Paul and playing a few open chords with the gain levels I'm trying to fill. Think playing 'House of the Rising Sun' but without picking the notes... more rock and rollish. 8) If the pedal has clairty and is still beefy...without being muddy, farty, overly bright, or just generally sucking, then its a win. The Emma won that test very easily! The OCD however got too bright and hurt my ears.

I love the warmth of midrange, and I'm always like to have a well balanced midrange tone, so the low-mids and high-mids have to stay intact throughout the settings and playing styles I use. The Emma has a great thick, punchy, low mids, with a clear sheen of high-mids that while a little bright, is very smooth and pleasant. The OCD on the other hand has a very lose low-mids that get flubby, with a very strong and happy mid range, but brittle mid-highs that ruin it for me.

I was using this pedal for 'emoesque' like music through an AC30, and with my 335 it was fantastic! I sold the pedal when I got my BB Preamp, Les Paul, and Rocker 30 (which does the same job, but no where near as good in the low end!) The pedal went to my good buddy who plays in a Reggae band. She gets Sanatna like tones out of the box while playing a PRS Satin 22 20th anniversary through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. The two of us convinced her buddy to get one as well...and he uses it in a metal cover band (seether, system of a down, metalica, etc.) and it works incredible with his SG/Deluxe combo.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Ale
Rocker

Post by Ale » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:06 pm

So the pedal should work well with alice in chains tone or guns n roses tone...the bb is another pedal that i'm considering..

GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:27 pm

It will work excelent with those tones. Especially Alice in Chains 'Bones'. It pulls that tone off terrifically!

myspace.com/rolodexrock
listen to Long Way Home and Trebuchet. Long Way Home was recorded with a Fender Bassman, Vox AC30 running stereo, with a Emma Reezafratzitz providing the drive, and a Gretsch Firejet for guitar. Trebuchet was the same amps/pedal, but with an 1983 Telcaster top strung bridge. Rhythm tones are mine, lead tones are a JCM800/Tonemaster combo. The solo at the end of Trebuchet is also mine..using the rhythm setups.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Ale
Rocker

Post by Ale » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:54 am

[quote]<i>Originally posted by Wired</i>
<br />It will work excelent with those tones. Especially Alice in Chains 'Bones'. It pulls that tone off terrifically!

I'm looking for that tone..WOW!
and what's your opinion about the bb preamp?

THANK YOU

GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:25 pm

The BB is good, it's like a smooth high gain overdrive. it's very meaty. It just works... takes your original tones and beefs it up.
-LK

Ale
Rocker

Post by Ale » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:04 pm

OH my god!i'm really undecided..at this point i only have to try the pedals and then make my decision..wish me good luck! :)

Thank you guys!!i will let you know

GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO

billynightingale
Orange Master

Post by billynightingale » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:36 pm

I've owned the ocd and the emma. The emma is capable of getting more gain than the ocd, and sounds much more natural. To me the ocd just sounded completely unnatural. The emma is a great sounding pedal no matter whether you're using all the gain available or very little. It's sound is very tweakable as well with the bias and tone knobs. It's an awesome pedal, and if I needed any high gain sounds, it is definitely what would be on my board.
Bad Cat Hot Cat 30
Bad Cat 2x12

Jazzmaster, Telecaster, Stratocaster

Korg Pitchblack , MXR EVH Phase 90, Creation Audio mk 4.23 boost, Danelectro CC Fuzz, Ibanez de-7, boss cs-3, boss dc-2, Dr. Scientist Reverberator, TC Nova Delay

Ale
Rocker

Post by Ale » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:05 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by billynightingale</i>
<br />I've owned the ocd and the emma. The emma is capable of getting more gain than the ocd, and sounds much more natural. To me the ocd just sounded completely unnatural. The emma is a great sounding pedal no matter whether you're using all the gain available or very little. It's sound is very tweakable as well with the bias and tone knobs. It's an awesome pedal, and if I needed any high gain sounds, it is definitely what would be on my board.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

thank you!probably i will choose the emma or,another idea, bb preamp + ac booster

GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:44 pm

for what you want the Emma is more suited to the tones. the BB is great, as is the AC, but I think you'll be happier with the emma
-LK

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:48 pm

I've had/have all of the mentioned pedals, well I've been waiting on my Emma Reeza from MF for a while now (got it on sale for $159.00). I researched it enough to know that's it's gonna be a keeper and will be my hi-gain pedal.

I do, however, really like the OCDv3 as well. I've owned/plugged into over 50 overdrive pedals in my 15 yrs of playing and the OCD ranks in the top 10. I don't hear it as being fizzy with my setup nor unnatural. I see OCD's on many a pro pedalboards as well. In fact, I just picked up a Jetter Gain Stage Purple which is supposed to be Brad's best pedal yet, but I just don't dig it as mucu as the OCD. All the Gain Stage pedals are hyped to be very, very good but I'm not impressed so far.

My RV50 is my standard tone, and I look for pedals that are different yet amp-like and natural sounding. Many, many od pedals fall into the TS, Marshall wanna-be camp and sound the same, but most failed to sound as good or better than the RV50. Different flavors is the name of the game.

The BB Preamp would be a good blues pedal for a strat, totally different animal than the Emma Reeza.

Currently Have on Order:
Emma Reeza, Psionic Audio 3.14, Wampler PlexiDrive

On the Short List:
Zvex Box of Rock, Crowther Hot Cake, Lovepedal 200lb, Catalinbread SCOD, MJM London Fuzz, Jetter Blue, Red, Black possibly.

I've owned/own:
- Barber LTD Black, Silver and SR, Small Fry, Direct Drive, DD w/Mod Board
- Menatone Red Snapper, Blue Collar, Foxy Brown
- G2D Creamtone, Custom Overdrive
- Fulltone OCDv3, OCDv4, FDII, FDII Mosfet
- Catalinbread Silver Kiss MkII
- Jetter Gain Stage Purple
- Hermida Zendrive
- Paul C. Tim, Timmy
- Xotic RC, AC, BB
- MJM Blues Devil
- Maxon OD9 Pro +, SD-0, OD-820
- Boss MT-2, SD-1, BD-2
- DOD Distrotion Pro
- MI Audio Crunch Box
- Lovekraft MojoDrive x 2
- Monte Allums SD-1
- Keeley TS9, BD-2, Rat
- Marshall GV-2
- Digitech Bad Monkey
- Radial Classic Overdrive
- Line 6 (Gold Unit)
- Rat 2
- Analogman SunFace
- BJFE EGD, DRD
- Sure I'm forgetting some.

Ale
Rocker

Post by Ale » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:08 pm

I know that the EMMA is different than the bb but since i really like the marshall hi-gain sound i think that the bb boosted with the ac or my amp boosted with bb or ac could fit my needs but it's just an idea since i have not tried them

GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:24 pm

Honestly man, I would go for the Emma. The AC is good, but next to the Barber LTD's, Timmy and Silver Kiss it's dull. I have an AC for sale though if you still want to buy one. I have my BB and RC still too.

billynightingale
Orange Master

Post by billynightingale » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:51 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jamison162</i>
<br />I've had/have all of the mentioned pedals, well I've been waiting on my Emma Reeza from MF for a while now (got it on sale for $159.00). I researched it enough to know that's it's gonna be a keeper and will be my hi-gain pedal.

I do, however, really like the OCDv3 as well. I've owned/plugged into over 50 overdrive pedals in my 15 yrs of playing and the OCD ranks in the top 10. I don't hear it as being fizzy with my setup nor unnatural. I see OCD's on many a pro pedalboards as well. In fact, I just picked up a Jetter Gain Stage Purple which is supposed to be Brad's best pedal yet, but I just don't dig it as mucu as the OCD. All the Gain Stage pedals are hyped to be very, very good but I'm not impressed so far.

My RV50 is my standard tone, and I look for pedals that are different yet amp-like and natural sounding. Many, many od pedals fall into the TS, Marshall wanna-be camp and sound the same, but most failed to sound as good or better than the RV50. Different flavors is the name of the game.

The BB Preamp would be a good blues pedal for a strat, totally different animal than the Emma Reeza.

Currently Have on Order:
Emma Reeza, Psionic Audio 3.14, Wampler PlexiDrive

On the Short List:
Zvex Box of Rock, Crowther Hot Cake, Lovepedal 200lb, Catalinbread SCOD, MJM London Fuzz, Jetter Blue, Red, Black possibly.

I've owned/own:
- Barber LTD Black, Silver and SR, Small Fry, Direct Drive, DD w/Mod Board
- Menatone Red Snapper, Blue Collar, Foxy Brown
- G2D Creamtone, Custom Overdrive
- Fulltone OCDv3, OCDv4, FDII, FDII Mosfet
- Catalinbread Silver Kiss MkII
- Jetter Gain Stage Purple
- Hermida Zendrive
- Paul C. Tim, Timmy
- Xotic RC, AC, BB
- MJM Blues Devil
- Maxon OD9 Pro +, SD-0, OD-820
- Boss MT-2, SD-1, BD-2
- DOD Distrotion Pro
- MI Audio Crunch Box
- Lovekraft MojoDrive x 2
- Monte Allums SD-1
- Keeley TS9, BD-2, Rat
- Marshall GV-2
- Digitech Bad Monkey
- Radial Classic Overdrive
- Line 6 (Gold Unit)
- Rat 2
- Analogman SunFace
- BJFE EGD, DRD
- Sure I'm forgetting some.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

You should try out the jetter gold. It's a pretty darn cool pedal. wasn't exactly what I was looking for though so I sold it.
Bad Cat Hot Cat 30
Bad Cat 2x12

Jazzmaster, Telecaster, Stratocaster

Korg Pitchblack , MXR EVH Phase 90, Creation Audio mk 4.23 boost, Danelectro CC Fuzz, Ibanez de-7, boss cs-3, boss dc-2, Dr. Scientist Reverberator, TC Nova Delay

hero
Tiny Terror

Post by hero » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:13 am

yeah i own the emma... without a doubt it's my favorite pedal of all time... sometimes i stop playing any distorted guitar for a while, and kinda forget about the emma, and everytime i plug it in again, it blows me away.. seriously get this pedal, there's no way that you will regret it!
Jason Turner.