Using Two amps

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

JJMellow
Rocker

Post by JJMellow » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:12 am

Since ive got my rv50 combo ive decided to try and pair it up with my hot rod deville, planing on using the deville for cleans and very little distorted cleans, i think it sounds so sweet, so my question is anyone run two amps at a time, or does anyone know what i need to buy, i know i need some kinda of a switch but i was curious as wat brand or model, thanks again.

naranja
Tiny Terror

Post by naranja » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:29 am

you need a aby pedal I am going to buy one of these once I get my uberschall or rv100, they are from what I hear good pedals at a good price, they also have one with a tuner out for silent tuning, and so the tuning pedal won't suck your tone (boss tuning pedal suck major tone)
http://www.loop-master.com/product_info ... ucts_id=40
Forgot to mention aby pedal lets you use either one amp or the other, or both at the same time, if you dont want to spend that much money get the ab pedal, it only lets you switch between amps and not run them together
Les Paul Studio, Orange AD140 TC, Tiny Terror and a PPc2x12, and more on the way

JJMellow
Rocker

Post by JJMellow » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:36 am

y would you run both amps at the same time

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:39 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJMellow</i>
<br />y would you run both amps at the same time
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

delay pedal left and right out... additional layers of sound to get something really awesome sounding...
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

GuitarMD
Orange Master

Post by GuitarMD » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:34 am

Loop-master
or
http://www.startouchpedals.com/Merchant ... ouchpedals
Anything built ruggedly that is true bypass, in my opinion ought to do the trick.

I would also recommend in investing in something like this to avoid a ground loop.
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--EBTHUMX

~GuitarMD~
Fender MIA Strat with: KTS Titanium saddles, Fralin Blues Specials and Unbucker.
Orange AD30 --> stacked PPC112 (1 V30, 1H30)
Fender Blues Deluxe (modded JJ6V6s) + Extn Cab.

Mudder1310
Rocker

Post by Mudder1310 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:10 am

Check out the Bytchn Swytch from Homebrew Electronics. Really a great product built by good people.

buscemi
Orange Expert

Post by buscemi » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:23 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJMellow</i>
I get a great sound running my two amps together. Very thick sound.

I use a Startouch ABY
- Peter
ImageImage
We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four

Satanic_Versus
Orange Master

Post by Satanic_Versus » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:52 am

why would YOU just run one?

Jon

Snitz User
Orange Master

Post by Snitz User » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:07 am

I haven't run a single amp set up for over 15 years live unless its a very small show or rehearsal I have just become to accustomed to the fatness and the fullness of the tone even at lower volumes.I always run one amp dirty and the other a little cleaner to balance out the sound I just run them through my trusty vintage AD-9 delay pedal.

JJMellow
Rocker

Post by JJMellow » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:45 am

so running them both at the same time u keep one on dirty and one on cleans for a fuller sound, or u could just use one for cleans, and the other on dirty, and use the a/b switch to switch channels, thanks for the help so far guys, this forum is great for learning.

Aslan
Orange Master

Post by Aslan » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:34 pm

I use the Radial Switchbone pedal and it works very well, has a ground lift so you won't get ground loops, has some built in EQ if needed and has a boost switch and a tuner out. Very nice pedal, don't buy a cheap pedal unless you try it out, I went through 3-4 pedals before I found the Radial. A ground loop will cause a hum that drives you crazy and kills your tone.

[img][img]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa18 ... 040012.jpg[/img][/img]

Gear:
Retro 50 & PPC212
RV50H & PPC212
65Amps Royal Albert
65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS David Grissom
PRS Prism
PRS Santana MD
PRS 305
PRS Hollowbody II single cut
PRS Sunburst 22

tristan
Rocker

Post by tristan » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:00 pm

I have a related question: I've been playing with my Marshall 50 watt linked to my RV50, is there anything wrong with patching into the RV50 using the bottom channel 1 input of the 50 watt, while having my guitar plugged into the top channel 1 input? I figured that it's effectively the same as patching from bottom channel 1 to top channel 2 except that it's another amp.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:14 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tristan</i>
<br />I have a related question: I've been playing with my Marshall 50 watt linked to my RV50, is there anything wrong with patching into the RV50 using the bottom channel 1 input of the 50 watt, while having my guitar plugged into the top channel 1 input? I figured that it's effectively the same as patching from bottom channel 1 to top channel 2 except that it's another amp.
I do it with my AC30... :)

Actually if we look at the AC30 like this

1 3 5
2 4 6

inputs 1 & 2 are for Top Boost, 3 & 4 normal, 5 and 6 trem.

guitar plugged into input 1, lil jump from 2 to 5, and then a patch from 6 to my Rocker 30.

Sounds pretty killer :)

its a fun way to get this huge killer sound...but my fav is just sending L/R outs of my AD999 into the two amps. Not only can get wicked ass stereo effects going on, but the sound is HUGE, full, and incredible. Best tone I've had in years.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

vchizzle
Rocker

Post by vchizzle » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:56 pm

lesser known AWESOME A/B/Y pedals:
http://www.loooper.com/
I have the ABY with tuner mute...I'm not sure, but I think they are under $100 new. I paid $70 used. It's awesome - no bleed, popping, noise or hum. I had a Lehle($200+) a few years back - also awesome- but for the money I'd take the Loooper in a heartbeat...IMO its every bit as good quality, construction and tone(no coloration). you can get even less expensive than what I have too.

These blow away Morley crap, which in my experience hummed badly with multiple higher gian heads and bled like a stuck pig.

defrag
Orange Expert

Post by defrag » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:08 am

I use a Radial Engineering Headbone to switch between my Blackheart (cleans) & TT (dirty). You can see it there at the bottom right in the pic in my sig. It actually lets me use the Orange PPC112 when the Blackheart is running while actually using the Blackheart's own 12" & vice versa so either amp I running at the time, sound comes out of BOTH 1x12 speakers. Nice setup; I don't think I've heard of anyone else doing it.
Mesa Roadster, Egnater Rebel, Orange Terror, Blackheart Giant • Ric 360MG, Schecter C1, Martin OMC15, Moog Phatty/6 Foogers, Korg microXL/Electribe MX • Alesis, Boss, Mackie, Peterson, Radial ( o )==#
http://gamefreaks.net/defrag/personal/music.html ♪♫