pedals that make you cringe

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

shindigmachine
Orange Master

Post by shindigmachine » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:07 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wendigo</i>
<br />Haha! I am so happy nobody mentioned this one yet, so that I get to do it:

<font size="4"><b>DOD!</b></font id="size4"> Anything by them is compltete crap, but especially the distortions are the worst pedals ever. I actually do cringe at the thought of DOD pedals. Just horrible! Like the DOD metal X....just abysmal.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

the only DOD i've heard that i liked was the Juice Box. they got so lucky with that pedal, but even then, it's just a boost, so it still shows that they can't make a straight up distortion.
Hi. I'm Brad. i play a Gibson Melody Maker RI through a...

Orange RV100H &
Mesa Lone Star 410 w/2 Celestion G10s and 2 Weber Thames 10s

pedals; Barber Tone Press, Robert Keeley BD-2, EHX Micro POG, SIB Mr. Vibromatic, Line6 Echo Park, AKAI Headrush E2, and a custom loopmaster pedal. all on a furman SPB-8.

this band is done but a new one is in the works;
myspace.com/morninggrey734

widowmaker88
Rocker

Post by widowmaker88 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:46 pm

Oh, the Digitech Whammy, I cannot stand that thing, and I have no idea why!

shindigmachine
Orange Master

Post by shindigmachine » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:58 pm

somebody is going to hate me over this, but i cringe when i hear...

MXR Phase 90. i've given it a chance twice before, and the second one was a badass 80s model with the good chip, and still it was just too stupid sounding to be usable. i've had enough of phasers.

Boss OC-2. also given it a chance twice. it even became a big part of my setup until recently, but it's just too glitchy. you have to play DEAD ON single note lines for it to sound right. i want a micro POG.

Boss PS-5. it's supposed to be able to harmonize in key, but it doesn't. it's really annoying. it's a damn machine, it's not supposed to screw up that badly. i wanted a harmonizer so bad for a while but i just gave up because none of them actually harmonize in key.

auto wahs, heavy metal pedals, the grunge, anything involving boss getting into the wide world of effects modeling.

Orange RV100H &

pedals; Barber Tone Press, Robert Keeley BD-2, EHX Micro POG, SIB Mr. Vibromatic, Line6 Echo Park, AKAI Headrush E2, and a custom loopmaster pedal. all on a furman SPB-8.

ICEisNice
Tiny Terror

Post by ICEisNice » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:09 pm

any multieffect thingy....
"Don't think....just listen"

buscemi
Orange Expert

Post by buscemi » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:52 pm

whichever pedal a sh!tty player is using...
- Peter
ImageImage
We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four

Snitz User
Orange Master

Post by Snitz User » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:38 pm

I cant honestly say that there are any pedals that really make me cringe I have heard some people use many varied and different pedals with certain amounts of success or failure depending upon your own views of the intended result.I am not really a pedal guy as far as using a lot but I have owned quite a lot over the years from most of the major players as well as several from boutique builders,as Buscemi states above even the best rig in the world can suffer at the hands of a crap player.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:56 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by shindigmachine</i>
<br />somebody is going to hate me over this, but i cringe when i hear...

MXR Phase 90. i've given it a chance twice before, and the second one was a badass 80s model with the good chip, and still it was just too stupid sounding to be usable. i've had enough of phasers.

Boss OC-2. also given it a chance twice. it even became a big part of my setup until recently, but it's just too glitchy. you have to play DEAD ON single note lines for it to sound right. i want a micro POG.

Boss PS-5. it's supposed to be able to harmonize in key, but it doesn't. it's really annoying. it's a damn machine, it's not supposed to screw up that badly. i wanted a harmonizer so bad for a while but i just gave up because none of them actually harmonize in key.

auto wahs, heavy metal pedals, the grunge, anything involving boss getting into the wide world of effects modeling.

I like the phase 90, on VERY low settings... the rest of those...yea dibs out.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

sleejay
Orange Expert

Post by sleejay » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:47 am

What about Behringer??

I used to think that they make decent (never expected anything "good") products for incredible prices, but after buying their

DIGITAL REVERB DR100 - wanted a cheap reverb pedal just for fun

and

V-TONE ACOUSTIC ADI21 - wanted an acoustic DI for a cheap price

I realized their products (effects boxes, at least) are a waste of money. They didn't even live up to thier cheap prices. No wonder they package these boxes in plastic so you can't test them at the store:evil:

I don't know about their mixers and such, but NEVER buy their effect boxes!!
-Dai

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:39 am

its not just FX boxes...guitar amps, mixers, rack FX... it's all bad
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

sleejay
Orange Expert

Post by sleejay » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:19 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wired</i>
<br />its not just FX boxes...guitar amps, mixers, rack FX... it's all bad

oh no:( and they've got so much stuff...:?
-Dai

sleejay
Orange Expert

Post by sleejay » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:30 am

Call me stupid, but for some reason the lyrics to the song "Hurt" by the Nine Inch Nails popped up in my head when I was talking about how crappy Behringer gears are...

<i>
What have I become? / My sweetest friend / Everyone I know / Goes away in the end
You could have it all / My empire of dirt / I will let you down / I will make you hurt
</i>

Seems like what the president of Behringer would be saying when he's taken too many downers or something...lol [:p]
-Dai

Queequeg
Orange Hero

Post by Queequeg » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:27 am

My Van Halen Phaser makes everyone cringe, until they hear it. They they shut up.
Gibson SG Standard Silverburst
Gibson SG Special Natural
Fender Jaguar HH Special Baritone
Yamaha AES 420 Baritone
Ibanez EDR 470
Ibanez Talman
Orange 2007 RV50H
Orange 1972 4 x 12"

shindigmachine
Orange Master

Post by shindigmachine » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:54 pm

behringer = empire of dirt.

HEY!!!! behringer should make an amp to compete with crate's new 600 watter! and call it the EMPIRE OF DIRT!!! hahah

Orange RV100H &

cassiopamusic
Orange Expert

Post by cassiopamusic » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:20 pm

the TIBORANGE :D
zac
RF

timi
Rocker

Post by timi » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:40 am

Lots of Digitech hate, which I can almost agree with, except that the Bad Monkey is one of the coolest overdrive pedals for bass I have ever tried, and the speaker sim output is super useful since everyone expects bassists to DI....

Anytime I hear the words "Zoom", "Multi FX" or "Flanger" I cringe, but at the end of the day its the person playing that makes me cringe more than the gear itself.