Fulltone Fulldrive 2, OCD - what do you think?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

d.vid
Tiny Terror

Post by d.vid » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:41 pm

Im thinking about getting a Fulldrive 2 and possibly an OCD. what is the difference in gain and sound between the two?
i was thinking of using the OCD for a lighter overdrive, and the Fulldrive 2 for the harder stuff (and also combining them. has anyone tried this? what do you think?

also, i've heard that the first Fulldrive 2(Non-Mosfet)sounds smoother/better than the Mosfet version. what are you opinions on that?

and! let me know if you have any other overdrive/distortion pedals you recommend! :)
-David

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Both are awesome. I gave the Fulldrive to a friend, and another friend gave me the OCD.

I like them both. The Fulldrive is perfect for a Single channel amp like the 2203. You basically like the gain sound of the amp but need a little more for other songs. Then there is the boost section that kicks it over the top for solos.

It is like having two channels plus boost.

The OCD is every bit as Mean, but you kick it in when you want it. You adjust it for more or even more!
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

d.vid
Tiny Terror

Post by d.vid » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:02 pm

oh! and what about Zvex's Box of Rock?

I heard it is an absolutely amazing pedal that sound just like a JTM45. is this true?
-David

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

ECWeagles
Orange Master

Post by ECWeagles » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:06 pm

I hear nothing but good things about the box of Rock, but I would take the OCD over the fulldrive any time.
Jeremy

Many guitars, many pedals.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in him." John Piper

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:23 pm

I like the OCD better than the Fulldrive.I like the G2D Creamtone way better than either one.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:25 pm

I have the newer 'Mosfet' version and love it. I actually prefer the Mosfet setting to the normal setting. To my ears it's a bit more aggressive and sounds and has a crunch tone that I prefer. It works well with my TT and with the AD15. The boost function is also very useful as is the ability to turn it off with one click, rather than two.

I haven't played the others so can't comment although the OCD gets good reviews on here.
Chris
PRS CU22
Present: TT, PPC 112 (Heritage G12M)
Past: AD15
Image Image

dylan
Orange Master

Post by dylan » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:29 pm

i will be replacing my ds2 with a ocd as soon as i find some money from somewhere:?8) i have heard very good things about them!
~Ian~

Gigady, Gigady, Gigady!

vinny1218

Post by vinny1218 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:48 pm

I have the Original FD2.. Not the Mosfet and I love it!! I play it through my AD30Htc and sounds awesome!!! The OCD is nice but limited.... Both are nice though... Go to a shop and play them both and trust your ears and your taste..... Also I have heard great things from the ZVEX box of Rock... I have a fuzz factory and Ooh wah 2 and I love them both... I LOVE ZVEX... All I can say is fun!!! But I have not tried the box of Rock..
Good luck

stratplayer1997
Tiny Terror

Post by stratplayer1997 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:56 pm

I think the OCD is really a distortion pedal where the FD2 is an overdrive. I have the newest versions of both. Since I got my Rocker30 I really don't use either anymore. The Mosfet is switchable and I prefer it in the "standard" setting as it is smoother. When I need a little kick in drive, i hit the FD2. If I want an extremely overdriven Marshall sound, I hit the OCD. I run my Rocker settings on the Dirty channel right at the point where it starts to sound like its distorting (individual notes are clear, a strum gets some mild distortion).

Edited to add: there is something special sounding about an OCD into a Deluxe Reverb! The sound is just huge!

Janglin_Jack
Orange Hero

Post by Janglin_Jack » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:28 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bluz57</i>
<br />I like the OCD better than the Fulldrive.I like the G2D Creamtone way better than either one.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I liked my OCD for Marshall tones. I had an older Fulldrive 2 that I thought was great, but thought a separate boost would be more flexible than a two in one.

Since then I got a BOR. Killer Marshall tones. Not a flexible as say an OCD, but if you want Marshall JTM45, this get its. The boost is great too, as it is independent of the drive. I also just received my G2D Cream Tone. I love it!!!

BoR and Creme Tone. Done. Marshall and Fender - Rock to Blues. Lead boost on both.

Jack
"...weak with evil and broken by the world."

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:34 pm

I've owned 2 different versions of the OCD...my fav being V1. I've also had the Fulldrive 2, and the Fulldrive 2 10th Anniversary Mosfet (still hand done, not his new surface mount junky). Box of Rock has also entered my collection

Amps? AC30, Rocker 30, JCM900, and Fender Twin are the usual amps of rockupation at this villa.

so....
OCD's: Through the AC30 it was a great little box, but VERY compressed, but had a very soft release. Thick bottom, but very weak mid highs. A lil shrill and brittle in the high end. The end result was a pedal that I got rid of after brining it into the studio because of its lack of firm mid-highs. The 18v mode was the only way to run it! And I don't know what it was, but I didn't get a useable sound at all through the Rocker 30. it's best match was the AC30.

Fulldrives: The Mosfet was definatly a better pedal, hands down! It was warmer, and didn't have the high-end harshness and low range flub that I thinkof whenver someone mentions Mike Fuller and his product line. In fact, I think the Mosfet10th would be the only product from Mr. Fuller I'd buy again. Its very tube-screamerish, but a little more refined. I still think there are better tools for the job (Crowther Hot Cake, Dr. Scientist Woofer Wailer), and I don't think I'd rebuy the 10th a thrid time because of the 'collectors value' of it... Ultimatley, through the Rocker 30, I was disapointed with this box!

Box of Rock is the only box I still have outa the ones in this topic. It's MEATY, and has a nice clear, but not shrill high end. The bottom end is full, but the notes stay intact, getting rid of any flub. Through the Rocker 30 I find it a lil weak in the mid range, but through the AC30 I find it the ultimate pedal next to the Hot Cake. My major complaint is of a huge basshump that goes on as the gain gets cranked. The Box of Rock dosn't make any amp sound like a JTM45...while that would be an amazing feature, it's not what it does. It's just recomended that you use with the JTM because thats how Mr. Vex designed it. The end result is actually the 'everything on 11' tone of whatever your amp is... which is why I LOVE this with the AC30.

In the end, I think that Mr. Fuller's stuff works much better with Fender guitars an amps...because through them I rarely have complaints. But through Orange I think the battle can get a little indecent at times as the amp is a little more finiky than others on what pedals it likes and what it dosn't... in fact MOST of the pedals I use with my AC30 don't like the Orange very much...and few like both. The Hot Cake and Box of Rock are testiment to that.

Don't get me wrong about Fulltone, I think he MADE great product...his earlier versions of his boxes had less of the stuff I don't like, but the stuff I do like has changed a bit.. (ie V1 OCD to V3 OCD there is a huge gain in lowmids...but the midhigh became more brittle)

P.S. if you get both Fulltone pedals... I'd reverse their roles. The Fulldrive dosn't have the gain your looking for... as Obiwan would say 'these are not the OD's you are looking for.... move along'
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:57 pm

I had the OCD and a Fulldrive equivalent (Banzai Fireball II). I like them both equally, but for different things.

Someone said the FD2 was more of an overdrive. ie. more of the same and then boost - which I agree with - and that the OCD was more of a distortion, which I also agree with. I think the OCD had a good tone, but it was a bit fizzy, and was hard to dial out that fizziness at any level.

As a stand alone crunch pedal on a clean amp, I think it worked really well.

However, i've since sold the Fireball, and the OCD is on eBay at the moment.

My main dirtbox is currently a Blackstone Mosfet, which i've found to be a very natural sounding overdrive (I have to record some clips of that and my Matamp side by side and see if anyone can tell the difference) with plenty of gain on tap.

It depends what you are looking for, but i'd strongly recommend trying one of those if you're thinking about laying out some cash on a dirtbox.

Finally, try lots of different ones. Everyone has a favourite, and what suits you might not suit someone else. If you trade through used pedals on eBay, you can sell on the ones you don't like, and shouldn't lose any money on them.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:00 pm

Joe,
here here! I've gone though so many dirt boxes I cannot remember how many...but I'm currently down to 6, and only use 2 of them on a regular basis.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

starfly59
Rocker

Post by starfly59 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:15 pm

I've had all three, and I still own the FD2 and BoR. The Fulldrive is a tubescreamer with a boost essentially. I love what it does at higher volumes and really makes you stand out in the mix (due to the typical tubescreamer midrange hump). At lower volumes it's a pretty weak tone to my ears. Used it through an AC30 and Rocker 30 for a couple years. Better with the AC30, OK for the Rocker 30. The OCD sounded better through the Rocker 30 to my ears. I only sold the OCD because I liked the BoR better with it's fantastic boost feature.

Now, just my opinion, but the BoR does sound very much like a JTM45 through most amps I've plugged it into, but more than that, it feels like one with this nice sagging quality. It sounds good through both my AC30's, Rocker 30, and Divided by 13 running either EL84 or 6V6 tubes. It's my favorite pedal I've ever played! It cleans up amazingly with your guitar's volume knob, has this great, thick, sagging low end (not modern at all - very vintage in feel), sounds great at any volume, and has much less mids than a tubescreamer type pedal (FD2). It won't poke out in the mix as much, but sounds huge nonetheless. Seriously, it can make a 1x12 sound like a 2x12 or maybe a 4x12 cabinet.
Amp: Divided by 13 JRT 9/15 combo
Guitars: Gibson LP, Fender Tele, Fender Strat.
Lots of pedals: Zvex Box of Rock, Fuzz Factory, Fulltone Fulldrive 2, Keeley Compressor, EHX Micro POG, Boss DD20, Line 6 DL4, etc, etc.

d.vid
Tiny Terror

Post by d.vid » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:23 pm

which version of the OCD do you guys like the best? V1, V2, or V3? (i think there is three?)
-David

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage