high volume top end

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

GIBBO

Post by GIBBO » Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:53 pm

Hi

Hope someone can offer some advice re this (please keep in mind, I am quite new to valve amps). Recently bought an AD30TC combo, and it has the warmth in tone that I was looking for (stunning tone, actually). Problem is, I really struggle to keep this tone at high volume (generally running at app 7-8) - it sounds really bright. I have messed around with the settings, but just can't find the lower volume tone at the higher volume (when I try and compensate, it sounds more muddy). Does anyone have any idea on how to get around this??? Could it be a simple case of experimenting with some different tubes????

thanks

mike
Orange Expert

Post by mike » Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:29 pm

I have the same problem with my old overdrive 120. When you crank up the preamp gain to full blast and turn down the master to the minimum you get very distorted and compressed sound. The more you open up the master the less you compress the sound and it becomes more brittle and dry, with less distortion. (on the OR 120 the fact of turning down the master adds some distortion). The way I resolve the problem : no miracle : I search the right clean sound with just guitar and amp, maybe some crunch, then I make a very fine adjust on my Rat distortion to approximate the sound of the natural distortion of the amp and go...It's a compromise : you get the round and warm sound of the amp with its dynamic and the raging tone of the box...If no, you can try hot plates between amp output and loud speakers but Ihave never tried...