Musician's earplugs

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

half_deaf
Orange Master

Post by half_deaf » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:37 am

Thanks Bill. I think I will pick up a set of those soon. The write ups seem impressive.
Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior !

Retired from the forum because of the intolerance of supposed "tolerant" people.... good night

dirtythief
Orange Hero

Post by dirtythief » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:46 am

i've said it before and i'll say it again:
Musicians Ears are a great investment.

i've had a pair for about 4 years now and am glad i picked em up.
Dirty Dude Done Dirt Cheap
Jesse

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:27 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by half_deaf</i>
<br />Thanks Bill. I think I will pick up a set of those soon. The write ups seem impressive.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

My pleasure, Heath. Everyone who has tried these seems to swear by them. The funny thing is that three guys on here pointed to basically the same product. The Etymotic that Leon suggested and the German brand that Joe suggested are all basically the same design. in fact, they even have the same model numbers (ER20). I'd bet that they are a product licensed by one to the others. The Hearos seem to be the most affordable at about $14 for the pair and they may be the originals. They were the first that I was made aware of. if you check their website, you'll see that they also have a set called Rock something or the other which are black in color. They offer greater noise reduction but don't have quite the same wide range of frequency as do the Hi-Fi plugs. You might try those for other applications (such as the band that goes on before you ;-). These are cheap enough. You can't buy new ears at any price.
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rabies
Orange Master

Post by rabies » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:24 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TheOrangeJuicer</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rabies</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jacco428</i>
<br />I've got them too. takes some getting used to, <b>especially when singing,</b> but besides that it's great and really saves your hearring.
i bought some fairly nice earplugs for about $15 bucks off the bay, and i found they worked great...until i started singing, it felt super weird, almost to the point where i just couldn't do it, although i somehow managed to lose them somewhere

if i was simply a guitar player, i'd definitely invest in some, but unfortunately its my job to do vocals as well, so i've gotta pass for now:(

No you don't. You can't afford to. Try these out:

They are affordable and just reduce level, they don't completely block the highs that you need to hear. They don't reduce level nearly as much as some other types either, so it's not perfect but it may be the best compromise in your case. Losing your ability to discern those frequencies even without ear plugs is a compromise you should not be willing to make.

those are actually the exact ones i bought off ebay!
and yes, they did work great, but i couldn't sing while i had them in..
i ended up losing them anyway though

NiallB
Orange Master

Post by NiallB » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:39 am

Thats odd I find i sing better with them in!
Fender Mexican Telecaster with seymour duncan pickups.
<br />Keeley Compressor:Ernie Ball Volume:Crowther Hotcake:Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive:Ibanez TS-808 Reissue:Boss DM2:Boss DD6
<br />
Orange AD30TC Combo

PopnFresh
Orange Master

Post by PopnFresh » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:53 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by irish_admiral</i>
<br />I just use these if I find volume too loud.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ultratech_er20.htm

[img]Niangelo, that's some serious stage volume. I'm surprised your pastor - let alone PA crew - let's you get away with that! Might be worth thinking if you can bring it down somehow. Ear plugs are all very well, but that sort of bombardment can hurt other guys in the congregation too...

+1 to that, unless you have an arena sized building!

Were lucky to hit 60db, we do do some really loud stuff, but not on a normal sunday!

Queequeg
Orange Hero

Post by Queequeg » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:20 am

I work in a shipyard, we have boxes after boxes of different earplugs. Looking at these earplugs, they seem expensive. Different earplugs will block out different levels of sound, to pay excessively for something that has "musician" on teh packaging is just a ploy to suck the uneducated in, surely?

I am not keen on the ones that screw in, they create a vacuum in your ear and sometimes hurt trying to get em out.
Gibson SG Standard Silverburst
Gibson SG Special Natural
Fender Jaguar HH Special Baritone
Yamaha AES 420 Baritone
Ibanez EDR 470
Ibanez Talman
Orange 2007 RV50H
Orange 1972 4 x 12"

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:33 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Queequeg</i>
<br />I work in a shipyard, we have boxes after boxes of different earplugs. Looking at these earplugs, they seem expensive. Different earplugs will block out different levels of sound, to pay excessively for something that has "musician" on teh packaging is just a ploy to suck the uneducated in, surely?

I am not keen on the ones that screw in, they create a vacuum in your ear and sometimes hurt trying to get em out.

No, that's not it. Surely, these companies as well as others make plugs that have different levels of attenuation, but that's not what these are about. They are about a different level of attenuation at different frequencies. The typical industrial, foam plug (like the ubiquidous, yellow ones that you roll thin and insert in your ear for them to re-expand) blocks all sound with a broad range of frequencies. That's great at the airport, factory, and shipyard. When you are listening to music however, you need to hear higher frequencies and without the special design of these plugs, you can't hear them. If you take some time to look at the attenuation vs frequency charts that they have prepared for their different plugs, you'll get the idea. They make different models for different uses.
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

55gibby
Tiny Terror

Post by 55gibby » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:37 pm

I just stick my fingers in my ears while I'm gigging.

I've been told sticking my fingers in my ears helps my playing