Jeff Healey dies at 41.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jacco428
Orange Master

Post by Jacco428 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:41 am

Legendary blues and jazz guitarist Jeff Healey has died, his publicist said Sunday. The Canadian musician had battled cancer his entire life.

"It was something he fought with considerable bravery," his publicist, Richard Flohil, told Newsnet late Sunday.

Healey, 41, had lost his eyesight to a rare form of the disease, Retinoblastoma, at the age of one.

The musician had performed with such acclaimed guitar players as B. B. King, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Albert Collins and George Harrison.

His full name was Norman Jeffrey Healey and he passed away Sunday in the city of his birth, Toronto, at St. Joseph's Hospital.

Healey first began playing guitar at the age of three and formed his first band while still a teenager, according to his website. He played with a very distinctive style, laying his guitar on his lap.

"Visually, Jeff was an intriguing player to watch, because he played guitar -- by any conventional standard -- all wrong, with it flat across his lap," said Flohil. "But he was remarkable, a virtuoso player."

One of his best-known songs, "Angel Eyes," came from the Grammy-nominated album See the Light.

His blues band, simply called the Jeff Healey Band, has sold more than 1 million albums in the United States. But along with rock and blues music, Healey was also an accomplished jazz musician.

In his final years he had hosted a jazz program on Jazz-FM in Toronto, playing rare tracks from his vast collection of more than 30,000 78-rpm records.

He had also been touring with a group called the Jazz Wizards, playing American jazz from the 1920s, 1930s and early 1940s.

They had been planning to perform a series of shows in Britain, German and Holland in April.

Healey leaves behind his wife, Cristie, 13-year-old daughter Rachel and three-year-old son Derek.

chaz
Orange Master

Post by chaz » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:53 am

Dam, thats really sad...the guy was awsome, what a talented player.

the orangewizard
Orange Master

Post by the orangewizard » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:25 am

He battled a disease of that magnitude his entire life,and yet never allowed it to stop him from making something of himself in the field that he loved.I take this as a great lesson in courage,and will be praying for his surviving family.
Goodbye,Mr.Healey...you did good! 8)
Hugh

chaz
Orange Master

Post by chaz » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:34 am

Nice comments Mr Wizzard, plus one on that!!

firebird1999us
Duke of Orange

Post by firebird1999us » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:36 am

I saw him in 1997 with Foghat and the Dooby Brothers and he was incredible!:)

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:45 am

I saw him live too, and it was amazing. He always sat and played, but at one point in the show got up and walked across the stage while playing- then got back to his seat! People flipped out- and what an incredible guitarist!

robertt

Post by robertt » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:17 pm

That's very sad, I didn't know he was so unwell, although I am a big fan of his music and his guitar playing. One of the best gigs I was ever at was when he played at the Garage in Glasgow, a reasonably intimate venue and I was right at the front. I had heard his music before and went along expecting to enjoy the gig but his playing was much more amazing than I expected. My eyebrows were raised and I was really impressed. I first saw him in the film Roadhouse playing behind the chicken wire! He achieved much even without taking into account his blindness. I'm still working on learning a few of his songs. Sad day for rock and blues.:(

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:41 pm

RIP and a big fat thank you. Jeff Healey got me into the blues when I was a teenager and first started playing.
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact

Frank H
Orange Master

Post by Frank H » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:52 pm

Very sad indeed. I'll never forget the greatest line ever in "Roadhouse" when he said with a smirk, "Hey Dalton, good to see ya".

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:22 pm

Truely is a Shame. Another Roadhouse Jem:

Dalton: You play pretty good for a blind boy.
Cody, Band Singer at Double Deuce: And I thought you'd be bigger!
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

half_deaf
Orange Master

Post by half_deaf » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:24 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bassdrop</i>
<br />RIP and a big fat thank you. Jeff Healey got me into the blues when I was a teenager and first started playing.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

+1...That is sad news for me. Mr. Healey introduced me to the blues I love so dearly. I can pinpoint my introduction to blues to him. Thanks Jeff..you will be missed.

I dont think I will ever forget the way he could make that strat SCREAM for mercy:(
Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior !

Retired from the forum because of the intolerance of supposed "tolerant" people.... good night

Mudder1310
Rocker

Post by Mudder1310 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:51 pm

That sucks.

I recently saw a concert of his on hdnet and he primarily played jazz numbers, including playing the trumpet on a great jam piece. A true talent.

Asphalt Jungle
Rocker

Post by Asphalt Jungle » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:55 pm

NOOOO!!

My wife walked down the aisle to "Angel Eyes".

<sniffle>

What a sad day. :-(

"This cat rocks!"

corky newman
Orange Master

Post by corky newman » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:27 pm

I saw that concert as well..it was very very cool...man I really loved him back in the day..he was a big user of Evans pickups..noiseless single coils, very good sounding pickups..
He tore it up every time I did catch a show. I also saw him one time with Sayce on 2nd guitar..that kid tore it up as well, and Jeff gave him all the room in the world to reach out to the people. I am very bummed he has pasted on...

enigma
Orange Hero

Post by enigma » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:51 pm

RIP Jeff!!! May you keep on playing in heaven. Best wishes to his wife and the kids.
PRS McCarty Rosewood
ESP 400 Series Strat
ESP Custom Tele 1987
Egnater Renegade
Fender Blues Jr. Fuchs Mod
Orange-less for the moment!