how is the chug-chug?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

fredwesley

Post by fredwesley » Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:35 am

I am considering buying an AD30 HTC because i would rather have a TUBE overdrive/dist. rather than the Rat pedal i have running into my twin reissue w/4x12 cab although i do get a nice low end bassy response with this setup...Is the orange mostly a mid-range type amp or can it be fiddled with on the drive channel to get a big "im the only guitarist in the band and need a big chunky distortion" sound?... if not with the amp eq than maybe changing pre amp tubes or using a good eq pedal? Dont get me wrong,im not some kind of idiotic nu-metaler and i love my warm,clean tones as well (currently using an MXR micro amp with the twin for that) but it would be great if anyone could help,thanks! (some bands i love...At the drive in,Radiohead,Fugazi,Cure,Niel Young,Pixies...just to give you an idea....

spoonman

Post by spoonman » Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:15 pm

My Orange 120 head has no master volume but sounds amazing with a plain old Boss Distortion pedal. I also own a Rat which, while it sounds great with my Marshalls, sounds thin with the Orange. It's all a matter of chemistry. Maybe it helps that the Boss DS-1 is coloured orange! I've only tried the AD-30 single channel head and loved its creamy smooth distortion. Live, nothing beats natural overdrive. But for recording, pedals usually sound bigger and tighter.