Fender USA Telecaster v Highway one telecaster

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:08 am

Im thinking of buying one of the above telecasters can anyone tell me the pros and cons of each , maybe you ve compared or have owned both - which is your favorite . No need to mention the difference in price .
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:04 am

I think with two Teles this similar it really comes down to personal preference. No doubt you've looked at all the specs... all you need to do now is pick them both up and see which you feel happier playing.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

SRV

Post by SRV » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:36 am

I agree. It all comes down to preference now. They are both great sounding teles, and you just have to play them each and decide based on feel. If you're curious, I would take the USA, but it's solid preference.

Controlo
Orange Expert

Post by Controlo » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:27 pm

i think the highway 1's are great guitars but personally, i'm gonna get one of the new american standards. after seeing the new tinted necks, i can't go back to the pale looking necks anymore. i also like the new bridge a lot better than the old american standards. either way you can't go wrong though. i've played both guitars numerous times and they're great .

breakfast
Orange Hero

Post by breakfast » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:54 pm

I believe that the Highway One for the majority of the production is made in Mexico and then they manage to do enough work back in the US for it to be called "American".

Also, the hardware is superior in the USA tele.

I looked at these a year or 2 ago but I can't confirm for 100% that this is still true.

howdy-doo
Orange Master

Post by howdy-doo » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:15 pm

im not sure whether it was just the strat highway one, but i read a review of a h-1 in a magazine and it said that the bridge is slightly off centre, so id check that before buying one
Liam

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:58 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by breakfast</i>
<br />I believe that the Highway One for the majority of the production is made in Mexico and then they manage to do enough work back in the US for it to be called "American".

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

They literally come up the Highway from Mexico to US. I believe they polish the frets and some other finishing touches here in the States.
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:54 pm

The only thing I don't like about the Hwy Ones is the finish.Other than that they are a real bargain .
Paint it blue 4 soul.

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Post by neonrust » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:00 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bluz57</i>
<br />The only thing I don't like about the Hwy Ones is the finish.Other than that they are a real bargain .

I don't mind it, I actually like it, but if you press your fingernail into it it will leave a mark.....it's very fragile and not for everyone.:)
((((((((((((((((((((((((Andy))))))))))))))))))))

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:01 pm

I don't think that's the case, Jimi. The guitars are made in the USA, Corona facility AFAIK. In fact, even the bodies and necks for the Standard series, which are Mexican made, are made in the USA facility.

In the case of the Mexican made, Standard Series guitars, the parts are finished and then assembled there in Mexico. They make the majority of the electronics in Mexico.

In the case of the USA made, Highway One Series guitars, the USA facility does everything involving the neck and body. They save some money by using faster drying, lower cost, satin paint. They also save some by using cheaper electronics, which are made in the Mexican facility and perhaps the bridge is as well (although the tremolo block on my Hwy 1 Strat seemed heavier than that on a Mexican). Finally, they ship the guitars with gig bags as they do the Mexican guitars.

The American Serires guitars are all USA made and include all USA made parts, from what I can tell. I suppose they could source fret wire or even the tuning machines from another country, but they are of a higher quality than used on the Mexican or Korean guitars from the feel of them. More attention to detail for the design and higher quality woods are used for the bodies of the USA guitars. The American, Hwy 1, and Mexican necks are all made from the same maple blanks but I would assume that the Custom Shop gets its pick of them and the USA models next. Lastly, the USA models and some special addition guitars come with hard shell cases and typically a strap, cord, and some polish.
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:05 pm

The thing I have noticed about the MIM Fenders , is they are heavy.Usually a lesser grade of wood on most of them.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

greyvents
Orange Expert

Post by greyvents » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:12 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by howdy-doo</i>
<br />im not sure whether it was just the strat highway one, but i read a review of a h-1 in a magazine and it said that the bridge is slightly off centre, so id check that before buying one

i recall that being said...believe you're right that it was regarding the rosewood h1 strat they were reviewing. guess its a QC control issue.
Mark

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster
Fender Classic Player 50s Strat
Orange TT, PPC 112
Cornford Roadhouse 30 Combo

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Post by neonrust » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:15 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by greyvents</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by howdy-doo</i>
<br />im not sure whether it was just the strat highway one, but i read a review of a h-1 in a magazine and it said that the bridge is slightly off centre, so id check that before buying one

i recall that being said...believe you're right that it was regarding the rosewood h1 strat they were reviewing. guess its a QC control issue.

Hmmmm.....I have 2 and they are fine...I think?haha!

Any Idea where this article might be located?

howdy-doo
Orange Master

Post by howdy-doo » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:18 pm

im not sure which issue but i think it was in one of the guitarist magazine reviews
Liam

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Post by neonrust » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:20 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by howdy-doo</i>
<br />im not sure which issue but i think it was in one of the guitarist magazine reviews

Thanks HD....I'll do some research and see what I can find.:)