Important thing to remember to do when retubing...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Terrible_one49
Tiny Terror

Post by Terrible_one49 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:46 pm

So, I just had to swap out the tubes in my Matchless pedal with some new 12ax7 tubes, and after getting it done and starting to play, you could hear the sound of the guitar...but you could also hear a underlying static scratchy noise in the background, really separate from the guitar sound.

I removed the tubes, sprayed on some contact cleaner, put them back in...and the scratchy sound was gone.

So, just wanted to remind people...when changing tubes, always use contact spray cleaner.
Matchless Clubman 35 w/ Orange 4x12 cab. Gibson Jr. w/ BKP-92.

mpisarcik
Orange Master

Post by mpisarcik » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:47 pm

By contact cleaner, do you mean De-oxit? Thanks-

Terrible_one49
Tiny Terror

Post by Terrible_one49 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:56 pm

It's just something I found at the local hardware stored called "Electronic Cleaner" made by CRC. "Cleans and protects sensitive electronic equipment. Helps prevent contact failure"

I was suggested by the guy that sold me the tubes to ALWAYS use the stuff. Well, I just thought...ehhh, won't make that much of a difference. Well, it does. Also, he said it will make the tubes last longer, and it's the number one reason why people are constantly having to change their tubes out all the time because they keep going bad.

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:08 am

I bought some at Home Depot called "Contact Cleaner" you get in the electrical section of the store. You're supposed to insert and remove the tubes a few times and it scrapes in a new groove and better contact.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:08 am

By the way, what exactly does that Matchless pedal do?

Terrible_one49
Tiny Terror

Post by Terrible_one49 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:24 am

The Matchless Hotbox is a preamp tube (two 12ax7's) overdrive pedal. Sounds amazing.

...and yes, you should always stick them in and pull them out a few times also.

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:36 am

Damn.... I looked up the Hotbox and it's expensive!!! I'm sure it sounds amazing though. Can you create volume increase with the pedal? That's really what I need since I have no FX loop I can't really use a volume boost for leads.

Terrible_one49
Tiny Terror

Post by Terrible_one49 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:29 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bandeapart</i>
<br />Damn.... I looked up the Hotbox and it's expensive!!! I'm sure it sounds amazing though. Can you create volume increase with the pedal? That's really what I need since I have no FX loop I can't really use a volume boost for leads.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Tons. Both on the gain channel, and also the clean channel, since the clean channel is not a true bypass. Matchless made a Dirtbox that has a true clean bypass, but I prefer the Matchless cleans over the Orange. Add's just abit of clarity and sparkle to the sound. It's not like when you turn up the volume on a digital distortion pedal either, and it screws with your tone. It sounds like your turning up the volume on the amp, but without altering the gain and tone very much. It usually sells around 400.

Bad Cat also makes a similar pedal that I think use a lot of the same parts and even the same body. It's about 1/2 the price. The only difference I noticed was the knobs were really touchy on the Bad Cat. You turn the gain a hair and it goes from clean to metal distortion, and hard to dial in anything between. Anything over 10pm I found unusable, even for heavy death metal sound. Maybe if the pot was changed it would be better. Or maybe I just was playing one that was funky.

GuitarMD
Orange Master

Post by GuitarMD » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:48 am

Yeah, lots of guys swap the 12AX7s out of their Badcat Extreme tone pedals and put in 12AY7s.
The knobs are really sensitive. The tube swap also gives you less "noise" more tone.

I wish I had the pennies for one of the BadCat 2 Tones...
~GuitarMD~
Fender MIA Strat with: KTS Titanium saddles, Fralin Blues Specials and Unbucker.
Orange AD30 --> stacked PPC112 (1 V30, 1H30)
Fender Blues Deluxe (modded JJ6V6s) + Extn Cab.

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:53 am

Anyone like the EHX English Muff'n? Completely different league from matchless, I know, but still, any good?

GuitarMD
Orange Master

Post by GuitarMD » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:04 am

Different tone but it is still an amazing pedal.
Have you had a chance to demo one?
It is great. It is the best JCM800-in-a-pedal I have ever heard.
It is by FAR my favorite Electro Harmonix pedal.
I am not a fan of electro harmonic pedals in general (Most sound way too Lo-fi for me)...
However, I have demo'd it over and over and it just sounds much bigger and of a better quality than their other pedals, IMHO.

~GuitarMD~
Fender MIA Strat with: KTS Titanium saddles, Fralin Blues Specials and Unbucker.

Pacemaker
Orange Expert

Post by Pacemaker » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:06 am

Stick it in and pull it out a few times... hehehehe.

Sorry, that's the perkoset talking (I have what they call a "wry neck" right now).

GuitarMD
Orange Master

Post by GuitarMD » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:41 am

Ahhh, good ole' torticollis.
Do you have inflammatory or traumatic torticollis?
Oh, nevermind. I am sure it is traumatic otherwise you would be taking something other than oxycodone and acetaminophen.

~GuitarMD~

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Post by ESBlonde » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:16 am

Old skool..

I was told to put vaseline (Petrolium jelly) on the prongs and insert them a few times. For what it's worth my 68 plexi head gives no trouble on retubes which its had a bucketfull since I got it about 1979 and used this technique. Just remember not to much just a light coating. Remove all excess.
Here we go; three, four...

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:26 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ESBlonde</i>
<br />Old skool..

I was told to put vaseline (Petrolium jelly) on the prongs and insert them a few times. For what it's worth my 68 plexi head gives no trouble on retubes which its had a bucketfull since I got it about 1979 and used this technique. Just remember not to much just a light coating. Remove all excess.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Jings crivens... <b>what?</b>

I can see how that might prevent tarnishing, but I've never heard that one. Not about to try it myself - sorry!

When grabbing a can of electrical contact cleaner, be sure to get a type that doesn't have a lubricant, so doesn't leave any residue. ('Tuner' cleaner has lube, is great for pots and switches, but would gunk up your valve sockets and may lead to arcing.)

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.