QOTSA Live

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jacco428
Orange Master

Post by Jacco428 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:02 pm

I'm going to see Queens Of The Stone Age in a few days. Has anyone seen them live? how are they live?

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:32 pm

They are the balls dude i saw them two weeks ago in dublin and im actually heading to the pinkpop in landgraaf to see em in may. they have a killer sound and they just rock out all the time. gig of the year for me anyway enjoy!!`¬!!

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

riffmonster
Orange Master

Post by riffmonster » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:40 pm

saw them a couple of years ago and was blown away... top band
:D
Mark

Camf
Rocker

Post by Camf » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:01 pm

Saw them a couple of weeks ago... amazing! They played all their best songs, the performance was staggeringly tight and the sound absolutely brilliant. Best guest list I've been on all year! 8)

spoonie g
Orange Master

Post by spoonie g » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:41 pm

Ive seen them twice- once in lollapalooza and once at The Orange Peel in Asheville. At lollapalooza i think they were trashed. Plus I hate outdoor sound. At The Orange Peel, they were bad-ass. Jack white did the sound for little while.

Pacemaker
Orange Expert

Post by Pacemaker » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:38 pm

Saw them during the Songs For The Deaf tour (post-Grohl on drums) in a small club in Ft. Lauderdale, and they were wicked. Enjoy the show!

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:00 pm

Saw them at Reading with Nick Oliveri still in the band - he got butt naked in front of thousands of people on the main stage, crazy guy.

They were really good, but I had to keep covering my eyes as the big screens at the side seemed to be fixed on his schlong slapping against the back of his bass!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

delirious131
Orange Hero

Post by delirious131 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:29 pm

I have seen them a couple times, and they put on a great show. Definitely a great live band
-Cliff
Orange AD30HTC
Orange Tiny Terror
Gibson Les Paul R8
Gibson ES-335
Fender American Vintage '52 Telecaster
Fender Flamecaster
Gibson Les Paul GECKO!!!
A Bunch of Pedals

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:32 pm

I saw them open up for NiN a few years ago...got backstage passes thanks to Yamaha. It was a cool show overall...but I was disapointed with Queens.

They played very well, but I expected a lot more energy live. They just kinda stood there. Reminded me of old higshcool bands just standing and playin. oh well.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

blacklight_uk
Orange Master

Post by blacklight_uk » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:49 pm

Saw them at the Leeds Refectory about 3 weeks ago and they were incredible! They played all the hits which was great but also a lot of early stuff and B sides as well which i didn't expect them to do. Really amazing show. I came out of it absolutely drenched, exhausted, dehydrated and thoroughly thoroughly satisfied!

There's a lot of talk about how mysterious they are over what gear they use. Rightly so too in my opinion as they have a really distinct guitar sound.

Josh
Josh

spoonie g
Orange Master

Post by spoonie g » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:12 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by blacklight_uk</i>
<br />Saw them at the Leeds Refectory about 3 weeks ago and they were incredible! They played all the hits which was great but also a lot of early stuff and B sides as well which i didn't expect them to do. Really amazing show. I came out of it absolutely drenched, exhausted, dehydrated and thoroughly thoroughly satisfied!

There's a lot of talk about how mysterious they are over what gear they use. Rightly so too in my opinion as they have a really distinct guitar sound.

Josh
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

i thought it was well known what they use?

blacklight_uk
Orange Master

Post by blacklight_uk » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:21 pm

Not as far as i've seen? Maybe i'm not looking right! They covered over their amp heads live anyway. Wikipedia has a list of things but who knows how reliable it is...

Josh
Josh

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:51 pm

It's easy to get a sound similar Josh Homme's, this topic has already been covered several times in the past few weeks. Downtuning to C on most guitars and fiddling with your EQ or alternatively running into a bass amp will get you in the right ballpark. He's changed his gear constantly over the years and is notoriously secretive/playful about what he uses. I wouldn't take as gospel anything you've read on the internet about his setup.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

spoonie g
Orange Master

Post by spoonie g » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:54 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by blacklight_uk</i>
<br />Not as far as i've seen? Maybe i'm not looking right! They covered over their amp heads live anyway. Wikipedia has a list of things but who knows how reliable it is...

Josh
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Every time I see him he uses an ampeg v-2/4. The lead guy has used some different stuff (including bad cat, etc.). On songs for the deaf he supposedly used a lot of small amps like fender champs and such.

Satanic_Versus
Orange Master

Post by Satanic_Versus » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:40 pm

i used to LOVE QOTSA but the new stuff is just not the same to me.

i saw them live a couple of years ago, it was amazing, i also saw them play in Newbury Comics record store with no drummer, again it was goose bumps, it was that good.

i have two of these passes, i got this photo online.

josh homme has always been one of my favorite guitaist,, gotta love Kyuss. in-fact iv been playing old Kyuss all week.