Cab for tiny terror and other quiestions

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

nerd
Orange Expert

Post by nerd » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:27 am

Hi all.

Ive been researching and learned that tube amps are the s**t. But because i live in a condo, i cant crank a regular tube amp, its just silly. I also jam with some friends but nothing that serious, just to have fun, so basically i want a tube amp sound without annoying any neighbours.

So I always thought that a low watt tube amp is my solution, and i've always had my eyes on a marshall DSL401 combo, then I read about the TT.

So, here are the questions, consider im on a tight budget:

1. what cab (1x12 or 2x12) would be good enough for the TT? I need something cheap and decent.
2. will the TT cleap up enough with just rolling down the guitar volume? (les paul)
3. what kind of distortion do you get with the gain on max?

Thanks in advance.

gibson59er
Tiny Terror

Post by gibson59er » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:35 am

thats a hard one to answer because cheap and decent are'nt useally the same, amy goof 1x12 will rock. a tt can be really clean up if you want it to, it can have a great chimey sound to . on max you will get that great brit sound it is known for. if you want really high gain throw a pedal in front of it, the tt loves pedals

gibson59er
Tiny Terror

Post by gibson59er » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:36 am

sorry bad typeing i meant any good 1x12

Honeycomb-Hideout
Tiny Terror

Post by Honeycomb-Hideout » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:37 am

#1. People here seem to love Avatar cabs. They are pretty inexpensive if you can't afford an Orange.

#2. Yes. The Amp is fairly dynamic in terms of touch sensitivity on the strings as well as rolling back the volume knob on the guitar. Unless of course you're looking to go from full-on distorted to clean....It's a single channel Amp, that isn't gonna happen without a pedal in front.

#3. Check this out. Just the Amp with a boost pedal in front. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MpZoWsFlJQ

SimpleTone
Rocker

Post by SimpleTone » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:56 am

You can still annoy the neighbourd with TT. Pretty cool.

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:42 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SimpleTone</i>
<br />You can still annoy the neighbourd with TT. Pretty cool.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Yeah, 15 watts may sound like it should mean a low powered amp, but no way will you get it anything like cranked in a flat even in 7 watt mode. Clean you'll be fine, but for proper cranked sounds at neighbour friendly volumes you need a <i>much</i> smaller valve amp - milliwatts not watts. 500mW (1/2W) would still be more than loud enough - really!!! [:0]

(Just so you know!) :)

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

DoctorJay
Orange Expert

Post by DoctorJay » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:25 am

I really like the TT cleans, they are'nt super loud though (although more than loud enough for where I play). They aren't crystalline, but they are warm and very slightly fuzzy. That's much nicer anyway.
Jarret
Duesenberg Starplayer TV, American Special Tele (white)
Alvarez AJ60 12-string Jumbo acoustic, Takamine EF340
TT, 410 Cabinet, H&K Tubemeister 18 combo
Meinl Pickup Cajon

wkturn2008
Orange Expert

Post by wkturn2008 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:42 pm

I really looked into the cab situation for my TT. I ended up buying the Blackheart 112. It was less than the Avatar or the Lopo and over half as much as the Orange ppc112. It's not here yet but I heard from someone else that likes it and I heard a youtube video with a TT thru a Blackheart cab.

Will
Will Turner
http://wildwillyturner.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ok here's my gear:

Jackson Dinky
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall half stack
Kustom the Defender
Micro Terror on PPC108
Orange Blaster
much more

wkturn2008
Orange Expert

Post by wkturn2008 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:43 pm

Here's the link to the TT thru 2 inexpensive cabinets. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bng-zXiZfMY&feature=user
Will Turner
http://wildwillyturner.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ok here's my gear:

Jackson Dinky
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall half stack
Kustom the Defender
Micro Terror on PPC108
Orange Blaster
much more

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:29 pm

i used a tt through the orange 2x12 and it sounded awesome but only had the tt for a coupla weeks as my rv100 was getting fixed (faulty preamp tube) but essentially it kicks ass the cleans are beautiful (i was putting a emg loaded strat and a vintage reissue tele through it)so single coils in my mind sound really nice on clean but when i brought it out to my mates house we plugged it into a hughes and kettner 4x12 and had a emg loaded LP thought it and i was amazed at the range in tones clean and overdrive, i dunno mate the thing is phenomenal in terms of power for size and versatility in sound as well as that im sure u've noticed nearly everybody on this forum has one and im prob gonna get one in the next couple of months. i'd recommend a 2x12 regardless if your jammin with mates or even playing small gigs 1x12 just never cut it for me in those situations.

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

55gibby
Tiny Terror

Post by 55gibby » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:58 pm

If you want to get the best cleans and not give up the roar, I would suggest a speaker that has a high SPL rating IMHO. I use a closed back 1 x 12 earcandy cab with a Eminence Swamp Thang in it. I like a 1 x 12 for 2 reasons:

1) I'm old and dragging a lot of gear around is murder on my back (I also can bring in all my stuff in one trip)
2) I have very limited space to leave it set up in my music room (4 amps, 13 guitars, 1 PA, various and sundry pedals and a computer)

When I play larger gigs I ABY my TT with a Fender Twin Reverb II (pure sonic bliss). I am thinking that in the future I'll pair up my TT with a 2 x 12, but for now I'll stick with what I've got. I use the Twin for very cleans

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Post by ESBlonde » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:00 pm

The TT has had some levels of flak in respect of its cleans. (do a search) but there are ways around it to a degree but you will never get clean plexi tone from it, if you want for that or fender cleans this is not the amp. But it can and does sound great in and of itself.

Cranked or cleaned up, it's still fairly versatile but its forte is overdrive.

For a cabinet I rolled my own and loaded it with a 10" 60w celestion vintage in an open backed box. No shortage of power handling, fat sound that cuts through too.

I must upload a pic of the box for you all to see.
Here we go; three, four...

scottdavis
Rocker

Post by scottdavis » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:07 pm

And you also have to consider that when you're ready to gig you don't want to have to buy a new amp. Get a terror and look to the day you get to strut your stuff in front of a crowd - it has pretty much everything you'll need.
scott
ttclub32

hamer25

Post by hamer25 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:26 pm

I play mine through a handwired Marshall 2061cx handwired cab with Celestion G12-H30 speakers and it sounds awesome but I also use a much cheaper Marshall 1x12 cab with a Celestion Sidewinder and it's great too (much easier to carry around!).

I love the clean tones of the TT, which is very similar in terms of circuit design to a VOX AC15.

buscemi
Orange Expert

Post by buscemi » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:30 pm

Yeah it sounds pretty damn good through anything I've played it through too. I have a cheap Bugera 4x12 that was too good a deal from someone on Craigslist to pass up (like 1/3rd retail and barely used) and it sounds great through one side of that. Blues Junior in the other side and bam there's a quick setup. Sounds great through my Avatar with 2 V30s and the Avatar 1x12 with a G12H30 as well. Would probably sound good pumped through a speaker like was in Brian May's "Deacy" as far as I'm concerned.
- Peter
ImageImage
We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four