les paul or explorer?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

howdy-doo
Orange Master

Post by howdy-doo » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:51 pm

i managed to have a go on a gibson les paul the other day and loved it but they had no explorers in. does anyone own one that can tell me how they are to play in the meantime?
Liam

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:58 pm

explorers kick ass. firebirds too.
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

Rocksully
Orange Expert

Post by Rocksully » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:17 pm

Explorers do not have a sealed neck, so you feel the frets along the neck. I mean they are just flat across, and so as you slide your hand up and down the neck you feek each individual fret on the edge of the neck. This is a bad description, but I didnt like it. A Les Paul is built much better IMO. I like the 500T Bridge PU in the Explorer, and it looks kick ass, but to me a LP seems to be just an overall better guitar.

Blainy
Orange Master

Post by Blainy » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:32 pm

The Explorer's a bit more of an individualistic option. Being a sheep, I chose Les Paul. As long as you avoid the odd bad one, it's never going to be a bad choice. Never played an explorer, but I'd believe Jimi that they're up to it.

GuitarMD
Orange Master

Post by GuitarMD » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:33 pm

Explorers are EXTREMELY well balanced (weight distribution) guitars.
They are very very comfortable to play standing up (not so much sitting down).
They are a flat top guitar so the have more of the SG type crunch as opposed to the LP ringing. [Don't know how else to explain it...]

~GuitarMD~
Fender MIA Strat with: KTS Titanium saddles, Fralin Blues Specials and Unbucker.
Orange AD30 --> stacked PPC112 (1 V30, 1H30)
Fender Blues Deluxe (modded JJ6V6s) + Extn Cab.

Allardson
Orange Hero

Post by Allardson » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:02 pm

Go les paul

buscemi
Orange Expert

Post by buscemi » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:03 pm

Explorers are up to the task, but Les Pauls are great for many reasons as well. Play both a lot, find which you like more, then buy it and then buy the other down the road :)
- Peter
ImageImage
We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four

notagain

Post by notagain » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:10 pm

While your at it,
throw a Flying V into the mix,
I think you maybe very surprised
at how actually versatile they are.

buscemi
Orange Expert

Post by buscemi » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:18 pm

Right on, Mark. I love the way the Vs sound. I'm not crazy about the shape but the tone is sooooo good.
- Peter
ImageImage
We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four

notagain

Post by notagain » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:34 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by buscemi</i>
<br />Right on, Mark. I love the way the Vs sound. I'm not crazy about the shape but the tone is sooooo good.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I always hated the shape too.
Then I bought my first one back in the 70's.
It grew on me like nothing before it.

That's the first one I've owned in over 15 years,
I will never part with it!

BradW
Tiny Terror

Post by BradW » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:48 pm

I had primarily Les Paul style guitars but recently got an Explorer and it's my primary axe. That being said I think it's crucial that you play the one you are going to buy. Mine is a 2006. Played a 2007 the other day and it felt like crap. All Explorer were not created equal, like many mass manufactured guitars.

I also ditch the Gibson Pick ups immediately on all their guitars. I prefer Rio Grande humbuckers.

WALKEN
Tiny Terror

Post by WALKEN » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:16 pm

Hmmmm, lots of differences.

Wood- Les Pauls commonly have a Maple cap on a Mahogany back. Explorers may be made from Mahogany or ash.

Neck- les pauls Commonly have Mahogany necks. Mine has a Rock maple neck but its very old. Most LP necks are fat and slow compared to a Flying V or Explorer. The neck on an Explorer can be either Mahogany or Maple.

The poster above mentioned a sealed neck. I believe he means that a Explorer neck is not bound? If you get a Explorer with a proper fret job then its smooth as silk.

A Les Paul studio/standard/custom has a figured top. An explorer has a flat top.

Explorers and Flying Vs are great guitars. But my advice would be to go for the Les Paul. Les Pauls are the type of guitar that once you've played one theres really no need to step down. The sound of an LP is one that shines.

If I where in your shoes and played any style of music, I'd get a Custom Shop Les Paul and an American Fender Tele.

Better yet Contact Warmoth and build your own.

buscemi
Orange Expert

Post by buscemi » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:20 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Better yet Contact Warmoth and build your own.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I wouldn't mess around with making a set neck guitar myself, don't even recall if that's an option with Warmoth parts. For an LP, I'd buy a real LP or go to someone who can do the set neck properly.

I have a Warmoth beast that's strat-shaped and that's a good recommendation overall, but I thik I'll still try a "real" Strat someday and probably come to the same realization of just buying the real thing (after playing a bunch of them, like anything).
- Peter
ImageImage

notagain

Post by notagain » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:26 pm

Les Pauls are great guitars...

Saying a V is a step down is
one of the funniest comments I
have heard here in ages! ;)

BradW
Tiny Terror

Post by BradW » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:32 pm

I'll also mention that I have no problems with fret issue that was mentioned. I've played Les Pauls with this proble. I think it's just symptematic of Gibsons inconsistnet fret work.