les paul or explorer?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:47 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by notagain</i>
<br />Les Pauls are great guitars...

Saying a V is a step down is
one of the funniest comments I
have heard here in ages! ;)

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"><u></u>I think it is all a matter of preference. I dont think it is a step down at all. The explorer is an amazing guitar, and I will say a v is top notch too. If you dont have any, and have the money, I would go for the paul. But honestly, any of them are rocking. Many greats use them from allen collins, to albert king, to mike schenker, and so on.
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMO.Nick
Rocker

Post by AMO.Nick » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:50 pm

I have a Gibson Les Paul Classic and my friend has a Explorer Pro. We played them through the same amp with the amp effects and I couldn't tell one bit of difference in sound. I do like the feel of my les paul better though, but I think thats just cause I'm used to it.
Gear::

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Strat
Fender MusicMaster Bass
Rocker 30 Combo
PPC212

My Electronic Music::

www.algebraicsatellite.com/home.html

WALKEN
Tiny Terror

Post by WALKEN » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:47 am

Ha, maybe its my choice of words?

It didn't mean it in a bad way at all. I've been a collector of Gibson Vs for many years and love my Vs. Its a myth they are not comfortable to play sitting down, I think they are perfect if you know how to hold one.

What I meant by a Step Down was, a Les Paul Custom has binding front and back as well as the neck, where as a V is boundless. A V has lesser quality woods and are pieced together in 3 sections, where as a LP is a solid back and 2 piece top or one piece top if you find an older one.

Theres a difference why a LP can cost you $3000 and a V is $1000...

I must stress that I love Gibson Vs and have had some pretty rare ones, I even owned a 1 of 1...

Concerning the Warmoth route, all Warmoths are bolt-on, so theres no set neck work to deal with. If anyone can show me a difference in sustain between a set neck or bolt on, be my guest.. Neck through is a whole different story...

When it all come down to it, its whatever you feel good playing! But there are facts involved and if I was to compare guitars to cars I would say a LP is a Ferrari and a V/Explorer is a camaro.

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:53 am

Oh, I would definetly take a les paul over anything, but I still like the v's too. And I agree, they are comfortable sitting down to play.
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Frank H
Orange Master

Post by Frank H » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:14 am

Before I owned my LP's my Explorer was my main guitar for a few years. Very nice but once I got my first Les Paul the Explorer didn't see much action.

jdavis
Rocker

Post by jdavis » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:48 am

When I bought my explorer in 1985 I didn't intend to actually get one. I just went to the music store and played every guitar they had that was decent and let the sound and playability make my choice. Explorer won hands down. Mine has an ebony fret board and the pup selector switch is below the bridge pup instead of all the way down the horn like most. The action is INCREDIBLE! It seems to practically play itself. I replaced the stock dirty fingers bridge pup with a super distortion becuase the originals had terrible microphonic feedback. I played a friends LP custom at a gig one night and although the sound was good and it played really nice I WOULD NOT want to gig with one on a regular basis. Way too heavy and I had a bruise on the inside of my right forearm from the wrist to elbow from hitting the binding with my arm. Mine was 1100 bucks new so it was as expensive as any LP the store had in 1985. I say Explorer all the way!!
2 tiny terrors,Krank rev jr,pacific woodworks 412, 4 theile ported 112's w/ 25 watt greenbacks, Crate power block, Framptone 3 banger,85 explorer,jackson strat,jay turser semi hollow,custom tele, bad horsie wah, ibanez sound tank delay, member #15 Tiny Terror club

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:27 am

I'd vote for a LP
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

howdy-doo
Orange Master

Post by howdy-doo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:14 pm

i think i might be best suited towards the explorer because it sounds similar to my most used guitar. but i'll have ago on both a few more times and see
Liam

Joey22

Post by Joey22 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:34 pm

Les Paul