15" Speaker recommendations...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

BayofPigs
Orange Hero

Post by BayofPigs » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:26 am

I am thinking of adding a 1x15 extension cabinet to my arsenal and was wondering if anyone knows of any good 15" speakers that work well with guitar.

I was thinking about getting a an Orange 1x15 cab, but the speaker is 8 ohm and don't know if it is possible to run a 16 ohm 4x12 and a 8 ohm 1x15 cab at the same time. Would the stock Eminence Kappa sound good with guitar? Maybe I can change out the speaker for a 16 ohm speaker, but Jensen and one by Eminence were the only 16 ohm 15s I could find.
Orange OR120
Matamp Legend 120
Matamp 4x12
Fender Jazzmaster
www.myspace.com/tommyjarvisband

Amoun
Orange Expert

Post by Amoun » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:22 am

fane made some 15 inch guitar speakers in the seventies/eighties, they pop up from time to time on the bay, i picked up two for around £20 and another two for around £80

they are all 8 ohm tho, but if you have 2 and wire them in series you have 16 :D

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:07 am

You could always rewire your 4x12 to be 8 ohm.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:31 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Chat Noir</i>
<br />You could always rewire your 4x12 to be 8 ohm.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">You can't rewire a 16 ohm 4x12 to 8 ohms. To 4 ohms maybe, but to 8 ohms - sorry nope!

Wouldn't go with a 1x15 bass cab for guitar anyway. Better with a guitar cab. They are less stiff and resonate much better for guitar. You need the opposite for bass, but they usually sound kind of sterile for guitar IMO.

Cheap and pretty cheerful: Peavey used to do a 'tweed' 1x15 guitar cab - 50 watts I think. Sounded great to me, and I really wish I'd bought one. Lots of sparkle as well as great mids and lows - just sweet!

Keep an eye out for any old Celestion 'Sidewinder' 15" bass drivers. (Or the 12" guitar ones!) Great powerful clean sounds, and very efficient too.
(If you don't like them you can always send them to me! ;))

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

Amoun
Orange Expert

Post by Amoun » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:48 pm

here is a nice 1x15 guitar cab 8)

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:15 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Andy H.</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Chat Noir</i>
<br />You could always rewire your 4x12 to be 8 ohm.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">You can't rewire a 16 ohm 4x12 to 8 ohms. To 4 ohms maybe, but to 8 ohms - sorry nope!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

oops, sorry, you're quite right - I wasn't thinking! I haven't eaten today and my head hurts ;)
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:22 pm

I love the 1X15". I have a Weber (JBL copy) It is called the California series.Great speaker replacement in my Fender Vibroverb amp.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

Controlo
Orange Expert

Post by Controlo » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:58 pm

i LOVE 15" cabs. peavey made one for the classic series. other than that, i've only really heard of the eminence as far as new production... ?

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:38 pm

The Jensens are really nice for guitar. I put a C15K into a '64 Vibroverb that I restored.

I just finished working on an old Ampeg B-15N and it has an Altec 15 in it. It sounds good with guitar also. You have to EQ it to be flat with guitar by turning the treble about all the way up though. I like the bass at 12 o'clock, but you could cut that a touch and then back off the treble the same amount to get a cleaner and more mid-rich sound with it. I like to pound it with as much gain and input level as possible as it is a low gain amp being designed for bass.
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

delirious131
Orange Hero

Post by delirious131 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:15 pm

I have always wanted to try a 15" speaker with guitar. Try it out with my 2x12 cab.
-Cliff
Orange AD30HTC
Orange Tiny Terror
Gibson Les Paul R8
Gibson ES-335
Fender American Vintage '52 Telecaster
Fender Flamecaster
Gibson Les Paul GECKO!!!
A Bunch of Pedals

BayofPigs
Orange Hero

Post by BayofPigs » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:59 pm

What do you think about getting the Orange 1x15 and swapping the speaker out with a Jensen Mod15(120 or 200 watt) and running that in conjunction with my Matamp 4x12. Would I be better off getting a 120 or 200 watt speaker? My Matamp currently has 2 Hot 100s in it and 2 V30s, so I am trying to figure out the actual wattage I would have if I ran the 15 and even what it is now currently with the 4x12.

I would look into Electric, but I do not think they offer 1x15 cabs anymore. Maybe I will try Emperor, they are based in Chicago and are somewhat local to me. Or maybe Amoun could let me borrow... his cab since he has so much great gear:)!!

I came across Lopo cabs on Ebay, but worry about their quality. On the plus side they do offer a bright green tolex that matches my Matamp, just not basketweave, though.
Orange OR120
Matamp Legend 120
Matamp 4x12
Fender Jazzmaster
www.myspace.com/tommyjarvisband

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:21 am

I wouldn't run a 1x15 beside a 4x12, period. If you want a lighter rig for smaller gigs or places that have good PAs for mic'ing, then the 1x15 would be a good idea. It is more easy to get around than the 2x12 and will have a similar warmth if you go with the Jensen Mod speaker. Choose the speaker that has about twice the power handling as your amp and no more if you want the best, full guitar range sound. If you want a heavier, doom type sound, then get the most powerful unit as it was designed more for bass and doom stuff. It'll deliver way more bass output and take a pounding from being radically overdriven.

I'd try the stock speaker out before I got too concerned with replacing it already though. Not having heard it yet, that would be rash.

I bought a Lopo 1x12 and liked it OK. It is good wood used but the joinery is cheap. I just brushed the inside joints heavily with wood glue to cure that. I got an orange tolexed unit and I also replaced the grill with a much more Orange looking cane material. It was the same size as my R30C and made for a cool mini half stack (1/4 stack anyone?). I had planned on having the versatility of using the stack or using the 1x12 for a Tiny Terror but I didn't get along with the TT so much and didn't see much point in the 1/4 stack as my modded R30c sounded sweet on its own, so I sold the 1x12 with the TT.
-Bill

http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:25 am

Does anyone know of a cabnet company that offers a 1X15. I need one bad.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Post by neonrust » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:45 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bluz57</i>
<br />Does anyone know of a cabnet company that offers a 1X15. I need one bad.

Here ya go Clay.....http://www.lopoline.com/home.html
((((((((((((((((((((((((Andy))))))))))))))))))))

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:09 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bluz57</i>
<br />Does anyone know of a cabnet company that offers a 1X15. I need one bad.

Mojo makes one of the best. They use original spec stuff and can build Fender or Marshall style cabs and finish them in custom colors, etc. PM me if you want me to get you a quote on a real dandy.

Most dealers would be willing to order you one, I imagine but I don't know what they would charge. They sell direct as well. Here is the website if you haven't heard of them (whadaya live in a cave?!;-) http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com
-Bill