orange vs. vox

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

elliotperk

Post by elliotperk » Thu Dec 19, 2002 11:16 am

i´m thinking abauot buying an AD30R, but i´m not shure...Would you get the orange or the vox AC30? The truth is i´v never tried the orange but i´ve read a lot about it and looks... perfect, becouse it has the Gain knob which the vox doesn´t. The thing is that i think the vox needs toooo much volume to sound properlly with my tele, and that´s too loud for me.
I´ve allready read the article on orange´s page but still...
Could anyone give me some advice on the matter.
Thank you!

yumyum1667

Post by yumyum1667 » Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:27 am

I have an AC-30 and it really is a loud mother. I also looked at the AD30R and did not think it was loud enough for a 2nd amp. I bought the Orange AD12/15 and totally love it. It is 15 watts and plenty loud.

The AD30R is a beautiful amp though. I just did not like its tone compared to the AC-30.

Greg

ayoldguy1

Post by ayoldguy1 » Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:33 pm

Are you using the amp for indoor, 'house' use? I got an AD15-12 and its PLENTY loud, even clean. I also went through the same choice and decided on 15 watts for one, but also liked the Orange for the seperate gain & master. The versatility is greater, and with the ad15's active eq, you can dial in more tones than you'd expect. ditto for the ad30r. the Orange tone tends to be a bit warmer, beefier than the vox, though. Definitely try one out tho, and check out harmonycentral.com's reviews.

-Alan

Last Lion

Post by Last Lion » Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:44 pm

Hi everyone,

i had the same problem - should i buy the AC-30 (a reliable amp that is well-known by everyone) or a AD30 twin-channel. So i went to the shop (Music Store Cologne,Germany) and tried : a fender hotrod (forget about that - tin can sound ;-) ), a AC-30 (greenbacks)loud but without a gain knob !!!, a Marsahll tsl combo (what should i say it's a Marshall :-) ) and the AD30 !!!
The Orange amp was better than any other amp i played on !!! The sound is warm, powerfull and LOUD !!! The AD30 has a terrific clean (bluesy) channel (i even play acoustic guitar on it) and a kickass, boosted crunchy channel !

if you want to buy an amp buy the AD 30, you won't be dissapointed, believe in me !!! (but unfortunately the orange amps are VERY expensive in the USA)

cheers

Markus

joplinbaby

Post by joplinbaby » Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:18 pm