marshall jcm800 models.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Controlo
Orange Expert

Post by Controlo » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:50 am

hey guys. i've been gassing for a jcm800 but i have no idea which one i should be looking for. i've played a few heads that sounded awesome but didn't pay enough attention to know the exact model and i know there are a lot of different ones out there. i'd rather get a combo if possible. there are a few on ebay now that are pretty clean. is it sorta the same deal with the heads... look for the verticle inputs? thanks!

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:34 am

Why do you say you'd prefer a combo if possible? Have you considered a head and a 2x12? At least that way if you decide you don't like the sound of the 2x12 you can get a 4x12 :)

...and let's face it - if you want a Marshall, at least a part of you wants the Spinal Tap-esque kudos of at least a half stack behind you ;D
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

timi
Rocker

Post by timi » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:19 pm

I find it strange that people want advice about Marshalls on the Orange forum....

Anyway, as you know theres lots of JCM800s. There were even solid state ones but I don't know anything about them.

1959 and 1987: Non master volume "plexi" heads in JCM800 cosmetics. Two channels (normal and bright) but not channel switching, you can patch the channels together though. To get any overdrive you need to crank it or use a pedal. My personal favourite of the JCM800's.

1992 and 1996: Single channel bass heads with parametric mids. I would love to try one of these.

2203 and 2204: Master volume heads. Single channel amps that can get overdrive at low volume. The 2203 is the JCM800 that Marshall make a reissue of. Very cool amps, the high and low inputs allow for lots of different tones especially when using overdrive pedals. Some have vertical inputs and others horizontal, I don't know anything about a difference in sound between them though, maybe someone else can help.

2210 and 2205: Channel switching heads, has a clean channel with bass and treble controls and an overdrive channel with the standard Marshall 4 band eq. Considered by many to be the "worst 800", but very popular probably due to guitarists obsessions with channel switching amps. I think these are a bit buzzy similar to the JCM900's.

Theres combo versions of the 2203, 2204, 2210 and 2205 (they all have different numbers though, I think they start in 4), but I'm not sure if there are 1987 and 1959 combo versions. I highly assume there are no bass combos.

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Post by neonrust » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:20 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Chat Noir</i>
<br />Why do you say you'd prefer a combo if possible? Have you considered a head and a 2x12? At least that way if you decide you don't like the sound of the 2x12 you can get a 4x12 :)

...and let's face it - if you want a Marshall, at least a part of you wants the Spinal Tap-esque kudos of at least a half stack behind you ;D
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

<font size="3">+1</font id="size3">Get the head/cab and turn the knob till it stops at 11!:D8)

((((((((((((((((((((((((Andy))))))))))))))))))))

Controlo
Orange Expert

Post by Controlo » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:32 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by timi</i>
<br />I find it strange that people want advice about Marshalls on the Orange forum....

Anyway, as you know theres lots of JCM800s. There were even solid state ones but I don't know anything about them.

1959 and 1987: Non master volume "plexi" heads in JCM800 cosmetics. Two channels (normal and bright) but not channel switching, you can patch the channels together though. To get any overdrive you need to crank it or use a pedal. My personal favourite of the JCM800's.

1992 and 1996: Single channel bass heads with parametric mids. I would love to try one of these.

2203 and 2204: Master volume heads. Single channel amps that can get overdrive at low volume. The 2203 is the JCM800 that Marshall make a reissue of. Very cool amps, the high and low inputs allow for lots of different tones especially when using overdrive pedals. Some have vertical inputs and others horizontal, I don't know anything about a difference in sound between them though, maybe someone else can help.

2210 and 2205: Channel switching heads, has a clean channel with bass and treble controls and an overdrive channel with the standard Marshall 4 band eq. Considered by many to be the "worst 800", but very popular probably due to guitarists obsessions with channel switching amps. I think these are a bit buzzy similar to the JCM900's.

Theres combo versions of the 2203, 2204, 2210 and 2205 (they all have different numbers though, I think they start in 4), but I'm not sure if there are 1987 and 1959 combo versions. I highly assume there are no bass combos.

i don't see why it's strange... i already own an ad30htc and a jcm800 head is about half the price of any other orange head. i wouldn't mind getting the head i guess, i just don't wanna have to buy a marshall cab to go along with it. the only marshall cab i've ever liked was the 1965a/b 4x10 cabs.

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Post by neonrust » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:42 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Controlo</i>
<br />i wouldn't mind getting the head i guess, i just don't wanna have to buy a marshall cab to go along with it. the only marshall cab i've ever liked was the 1965a/b 4x10 cabs.

I have 2 marshall heads with 2 different brand cabs(Orange212 & Traynor 412). No need to match.;)8) I don't like the build of "M" cabs anywho(plastic handles).

BTW....The Traynor 412 is the best 412 I have played through...;)

Jaws Theme Swimming
Orange Master

Post by Jaws Theme Swimming » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:48 pm

agree, ditch the marshall cab. i have a 1960 jcm800 cab with celestion 75's that makes my JMP sound like nothing special. i decided to run it through my crate cab with v30's and it blew me away. i forgot about that traynor cab you got andy... i take it you have the traynor in your posession now?

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Post by neonrust » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:55 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jaws Theme Swimming</i>
<br />i forgot about that traynor cab you got andy... i take it you have the traynor in your posession now?

Yeah Tyler....in my possesion and it is love in the form of a cabinet.;)8)....I may get another at some point.

Jaws Theme Swimming
Orange Master

Post by Jaws Theme Swimming » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:03 pm

warning: temporary hijack... i've been thinking about getting the avatar cabinet that's modeled after the orange cabinets. i assume it'd take a little bit off the highs and maybe add even a little more thump.

as for the jcm800, i'd suggest get a 2203(100 watts) or 2204(50 watts) as long as you can deal with just one channel. also, look for one from the early 80's on ebay or craigslist with vertical inputs. these are point to point wired amplifiers, some say they sound better, they will definitely hold their value better and are probably in general a better quality than the later pc board amps. the early ones also won't have the diode clipping which brings an element of solid state tone and technology.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:06 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by timi</i>
<br />

I own a 1992 and love it! Great for guitar, and that perfect Lemmy clangy tone for bass. Very Plexi-esque for guitar. I got the head and matching Bass Series 4x12 cab for 600 quid about a year ago. Saw one in perfect condition, also with cab, end on Ebay yesterday, collection only from Nottingham for 550, nobody bidded. If I hadn't got one already I'd have made the 7 or 8 hour round trip to pick that up, for sure.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC