Ashton Amps

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

lordoflax
Orange Expert

Post by lordoflax » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:34 pm

Today I went into a not-so-good local music shop and noticed of tube amps they had. Made by a company ive never heard of, Ashton. Basically they are a budget all tube amp. Looks cheap and doesn't look like it does the job. But it actually does.

http://www.ashtonmusic.com.au/productVi ... ductID=107

I looked at the 30 watter, Cheaper than a TT and it's a combo. I know it's not as good as a TT but it's interesting. anybody else heard of thesE?

The one I looked at has an effects loop and an included footswitch for channel and reverb. Good for the price I think. There was a deal on at the shop so it's probably cheaper than what it says on the tinterweb.
Danny.

GuitarMD
Orange Master

Post by GuitarMD » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:03 pm

New to me...

~GuitarMD~
Fender MIA Strat with: KTS Titanium saddles, Fralin Blues Specials and Unbucker.
Orange AD30 --> stacked PPC112 (1 V30, 1H30)
Fender Blues Deluxe (modded JJ6V6s) + Extn Cab.

lordoflax
Orange Expert

Post by lordoflax » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:25 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by GuitarMD</i>
<br />New to me...

~GuitarMD~
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Same, they are definately the low end of the market, but I just feel a need to buying any amp with tubes. It's not a bad price but I don't know if it's going to be worth buying something like that. It would probably better if I took the electronics out and used them in a cab of my own.
Danny.

axevictim

Post by axevictim » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:58 pm

ive heard of them there was a review in guitarist mag a while back they are actually made in australia.

lordoflax
Orange Expert

Post by lordoflax » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:03 pm

Can you remember anything it said? I'm just interested in this.

I posted the wrong link, ive changed it now.

it's this one.

http://www.ashtonmusic.com.au/productVi ... ductID=107
Danny.

MartinC
Tiny Terror

Post by MartinC » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:39 am

Made in Australia. They're a budget product ... aimed at the new starter. They make budget guitars too. They don't have a lot of respect, other than as an entry level thing ... although I've never plugged into one.

Don't know what your budget is, but you might be better off with something like a Classic 30 ... second hand maybe ... if you're after a 30 watt tube amp combo that scores highly in the value for money department. Also has effects loop and reverb ... footswitch is extra.

Hope I haven't angered any Ashton owners! Not my intention.

DoctorJay
Orange Expert

Post by DoctorJay » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:18 am

To te best of my knowledge Ashton stuff is chinese made, but australian designed. I've got a foldback speaker they make. It does the job well enough. I've seen reasonably complimentary reviews about the Viper, but they suggest it is not really for low-mid gain, more mid-high.
Jarret
Duesenberg Starplayer TV, American Special Tele (white)
Alvarez AJ60 12-string Jumbo acoustic, Takamine EF340
TT, 410 Cabinet, H&K Tubemeister 18 combo
Meinl Pickup Cajon

MartinC
Tiny Terror

Post by MartinC » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:45 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoctorJay</i>
<br />To te best of my knowledge Ashton stuff is chinese made, but australian designed. I've got a foldback speaker they make. It does the job well enough. I've seen reasonably complimentary reviews about the Viper, but they suggest it is not really for low-mid gain, more mid-high.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

You're probably right about the Chinese build ... I should have said that they are an Australian company ...

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:06 am

"t would probably better if I took the electronics out and used them in a cab of my own."

Don't want to damage your plan, instead of investing in that amp and dropping more money for a better cab and speaker, you might as well have just bought a good amp! It'd be a bit like buying a Squier, then buying a US made Fender body and neck and putting the Squier pickups in it!

The question is: if you want a step up in quality, which is presumably why you want something with valves in... why not save up a bit more and buy quality? You do tend to get what you pay for with amps, to some extent. Don't be fooled into the mentality of thinking that just because a product has valves that it is always good, that's the way of thinking that fools people into buying all those Behringer and Art products where the valve is little more than a glorified power on indicator at best.

Having said that, there are definitely some brands that ARE cheaper and still good quality - I'd hold Traynor up as a great example, they still make their amps in Canada and whenever I've seen them go on Ebay the prices have been stupidly low, particularly here in the UK where the brand isn't well known. One of my favourites currently are Carlsbro, who most people unfairly associate with cheap PA gear these days but who are a great British manufacturer with a good heritage, who built many great valve amps here in the UK up until very recently (their new products are Chinese). They also go for washers on Ebay, because of course everyone wants a 'name' brand.

To sum up... there are bargains to be had, but I wouldn't buy a cheap valve amp without being able to test it first - preferrably back to back with the competition to see if it's really up to the job!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

lordoflax
Orange Expert

Post by lordoflax » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:53 pm

I was just interested really, not really going to buy it just wondering. Ive seen a Marshall Studio 15 that would do me better :D
Danny.

timi
Rocker

Post by timi » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:07 am

Its an Australian brand that are also common in New Zealand. They just made solid state stuff until a few years ago.

When I first saw one of their tube heads in a store I had a go for a laugh. I played it for about 3 mins before it started making strange noises and then just went dead. I don't remember it sounding good, but from memory it wasn't really that bad.

They also have a 300 watt tube bass head.

Snitz User
Orange Master

Post by Snitz User » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:33 am

I live in Australia and all Ashton means to most serious muso's over here is garbage pile stuff right up there with Behringer yeah there cheap but don't be fooled they are always being sold on the bay as people soon realize the mistake they have made.Not much I can add except that they are slowly trying to get a bigger share on the world market there big catch phrase is designed in Australia.

scottdavis
Rocker

Post by scottdavis » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:11 pm

le chat noir is absolutely spot on. never, ever buy cheap gear even if you are only starting off. it should always be a pleasure to play your instrument, you'll return to it more often, practice then becomes a pleasure as opposed to a chore. seriously, get a tiny terror and one of those 4 x 8 cabs that Hartke make for their piggyback - it'll blow your mind.
scott