Recording bass amp

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

lordoflax
Orange Expert

Post by lordoflax » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:51 pm

I'm looking to buy an amp for recording bass and for home practice. Not being a bassist, I want something good sound for home use only. Relitively low priced if possible.
Danny.

Snitz User
Orange Master

Post by Snitz User » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:05 pm

Try Hartke they seem to perform pretty well at their given price point even some Laney stuff is good as well

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:58 pm

If you were only doing recording, I'd suggest the Sansamp Bass DI- it sounds fabulous direct for home recording and it's sweet live running into a PA....

lordoflax
Orange Expert

Post by lordoflax » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:04 am

Only thing is, i'm not going to be able to hear it am I, unless I set up up some sort of PA.
Danny.

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Post by neonrust » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:06 am

I have one of these for recording Bass in my lil'studio. It works great.
((((((((((((((((((((((((Andy))))))))))))))))))))

timi
Rocker

Post by timi » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:57 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bclaire</i>
<br />If you were only doing recording, I'd suggest the Sansamp Bass DI- it sounds fabulous direct for home recording and it's sweet live running into a PA....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I highly recommend trying one before you buy. They are horrible little things ;)

MSP
Orange Master

Post by MSP » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:04 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by lordoflax</i>
<br />Only thing is, i'm not going to be able to hear it am I, unless I set up up some sort of PA.
Headphones!
http://www.myspace.com/sleuthband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:17 am

Wow, I remember seeing one of those andy, do you like that one? Tell me what you like about it, and how you use it for bass DI in your recordings, I'm in need of the same bass DI fix.

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Post by neonrust » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:35 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Neiloler</i>
<br />Wow, I remember seeing one of those andy, do you like that one? Tell me what you like about it, and how you use it for bass DI in your recordings, I'm in need of the same bass DI fix.

Hey Neil,
There is certainly nothing like micing a real bass amp, but I like the Hartke DI quite a bit.

For my use, I plug my roadstar bass in and run an XLR cable to my mixer. It takes some tweaking(lot'so knobs), but I like the results it give me(Jazzy/heavy/almost anything). It comes with some recommended settings that are very helpful also.

It is also on the cheap($65).
((((((((((((((((((((((((Andy))))))))))))))))))))

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:38 am

Thanks for the tips Andy. I thought about this because I always seem to have a hard time micing the bass amp. What mic do you guys use to mic bass amps?

lordoflax
Orange Expert

Post by lordoflax » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:39 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Neiloler</i>
<br />Thanks for the tips Andy. I thought about this because I always seem to have a hard time micing the bass amp. What mic do you guys use to mic bass amps?

We use one at college, forgot the name though! It's something like D12 or something along those lines. Like an egg on a stick basically.
Danny.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:40 am

The Audix D6 is meant to be good, and is also an excellent kick drum mic.

However, when you say 'home recording and practice', will you be playing with other people, or will you be happy to sit and play with headphones on?

A lot of purists won't even talk about them, but you could just get a Bass Pod XT or even buy a copy of Guitar Rig (think version 3 is out now), both of which will get you a far better recorded tone than an amp + mic for the same money...

I think it's important in a home recording environment to just admit to yourself that you're not going to get a great recorded Ampeg tubey tone or whatever you're looking for without spending real money on the real deal - and top end studio equipment to do it justice in the recording process to boot. Modelling processors at least get you something approaching a good tone, with only one step, e.g. a USB lead into the computer in the case of the Pod. Certainly far closer to a good tone than a cheap amp, cheap mic, cheap preamp and cheap recording interface, where you will lose quality at every step, especially if you don't really know what you're doing.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:46 am

P.S. I've done a lot of home recordings in my time, and several times I've done tracks with only a Pod XT for guitar, no 'real' amps - and nobody has ever said anything but good things about the tone on those tracks. The old principle of garbage in, garbage out does apply in home recording, but the latest modelling technology is far from garbage when doing home recording - I'd never gig with a Pod, but in the studio they can be much better than you'd think.

Of course, what's most important is your playing and your ability as an engineer/producer, both of which will play a far bigger role in the quality of the sound of the end recording!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

lordoflax
Orange Expert

Post by lordoflax » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:08 pm

i do like the idea of the bass pod! I'm might have to investigate a little more into it!
Danny.

heavium

Post by heavium » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:43 pm

a sansamp bass di is handy little thing, i have the programmable version and you can get lots of good bass sounds out of it, i'm selling it tho, but that's got nothing to do with the thing itself, i just don't need it anymore.

but if you're looking for a good sounding low priced little bass amp i'd say.. check out an Ampeg Blue Rocket (B100R) combo, they're solid state but i love the way mine sounds.
downer is they're kinda heavy and only have one handle..but who cares if it sounds good.
chicken headed raccoon dog

http://www.myspace.com/heavium