are orange tubes any good?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

benjamin hyland

Post by benjamin hyland » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:32 am

my tiny terror came with orange brand tubes and i was wondering if any knows how they are in comparison with other tubes?

MSP
Orange Master

Post by MSP » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:06 am

I think... someone correct me if I'm wrong, they're just JJ tubes with Orange labels.
http://www.myspace.com/sleuthband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Post by neonrust » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:09 am

Yup....they are relabled tubes....not sure what brand though.

The TT I had did have JJ's though.
((((((((((((((((((((((((Andy))))))))))))))))))))

AMO.Nick
Rocker

Post by AMO.Nick » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:15 am

Ya I am 90 percent sure they are JJs I preferred those over my Mullard RIs that I put in my Rocker30.
Gear::

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Strat
Fender MusicMaster Bass
Rocker 30 Combo
PPC212

My Electronic Music::

www.algebraicsatellite.com/home.html

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:50 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AMO.Nick</i>
<br />Ya I am 90 percent sure they are JJs I preferred those over my Mullard RIs that I put in my Rocker30.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
I'm 99,9% sure that the relabeled tubes in my RV was <b>not</b> JJ's, because they sounded like crap.
I think actually alot of forum members here agree with me too that they do, as well as agreeing that JJ tubes are good tubes..
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:31 pm

I think the valves they use in the TT are Chinese. Could be wrong.

The valves they chuck in most of the other amps now are pretty decent for current production ones - Electro Harmonix EH and JJ. My R.30 came with EH 6CA7 (EL34 alike) power valves, and JJ preamps. Better than they were fitting a couple of years back Then we were getting a lot more complaints about problems with new amps most of which turned out to be duff valves.

David you got your RV a while back before they started putting such good valves in, so indeed they probably weren't JJs.

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

firebird1999us
Duke of Orange

Post by firebird1999us » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:36 pm

JJs? I was under the impression they were re-branded Electro Harmonix tubes???

Chris

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:39 pm

do you people realize that when you look at the wave form difference between a mullard, a JJ, and a Groove Tube, or even a sovtek that the waveform barley changes? were talking sucha small differenace you should't be able to hear it.

I think it's in our heads. and I can hear it. so I am admiting to being crazy
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

chrismathewsjr
Orange Master

Post by chrismathewsjr » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:48 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wired</i>
<br />do you people realize that when you look at the wave form difference between a mullard, a JJ, and a Groove Tube, or even a sovtek that the waveform barley changes? were talking sucha small differenace you should't be able to hear it.

Groove Tubes just rebrands and matches tubes, if I am not mistaken.

My AD30HTC new, came with Orange-rebranded Electro-Harmonix tubes.

There is most certainly a difference in switching between JJ, Sovtek, Mullard, and EH tubes.
'74 Orange OR120 w/Contemporary Avatar 4x12 V30s
'04 Orange AD30 w/Traditional Avatar 2x12 w/G12H30s

http://www.jooniorstudios.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/chrismathewsjr/

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:52 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chrismathewsjr</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wired</i>
<br />do you people realize that when you look at the wave form difference between a mullard, a JJ, and a Groove Tube, or even a sovtek that the waveform barley changes? were talking sucha small differenace you should't be able to hear it.

There is most certainly a difference in switching between JJ, Sovtek, Mullard, and EH tubes.

EH, Sovtek sound the same too me. JJ's seem richer in the mid range, have not tried Mullards. But I'm happy with the EHX and Sovtek tubes. the change isn't HUGE enough for me to care. But I do notice.

It's just that every electronics tech in this city has stated that the difference in the wave form should't create an audible difference and that all us guitar players are just nuts and it's in our heads.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

krogers
Rocker

Post by krogers » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:59 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wired</i>

I too am crazy because I popped some OLD Mullards into my TT and I have yet to get my feet back on the ground. I falsely perceive an enormous difference in tone.
<b>tune it or die</b>

chrismathewsjr
Orange Master

Post by chrismathewsjr » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:08 pm

<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chrismathewsjr</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wired</i>

EH, Sovtek sound the same too me. JJ's seem richer in the mid range, have not tried Mullards. But I'm happy with the EHX and Sovtek tubes. the change isn't HUGE enough for me to care. But I do notice.

It's just that every electronics tech in this city has stated that the difference in the wave form should't create an audible difference and that all us guitar players are just nuts and it's in our heads.

What kind of wave form are they looking at? The kind where they throw a signal generator into the amp and bias the amp for least crossover distortion or whathaveyou? Or a guitar signal? I would argue that looking at waveform on a scope isn't going to show you the behavioral and audible characteristics between tubes.
'74 Orange OR120 w/Contemporary Avatar 4x12 V30s
'04 Orange AD30 w/Traditional Avatar 2x12 w/G12H30s

http://www.jooniorstudios.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/chrismathewsjr/

Mudder1310
Rocker

Post by Mudder1310 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:21 pm

IMHO the NewSensor Mullard and Tung Sol reissues aren't anything to shout about. There are other tubes I'd pick first.

Typically I'd call Doug at Dougs Tubes, or the guys at KCANos for their recommendations. Bob at Eurotubes is good too, all they sell are JJs.

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:25 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by firebird1999us</i>
<br />JJs? I was under the impression they were re-branded Electro Harmonix tubes???

Chris
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Nope, very much not!

JJs are made in a factory in Cadca, in the Slovak Republic - an old Tesla factory.
EH valves are manufactured in the former Reflector plant in Saratov, Russia.

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

kittenface
Orange Master

Post by kittenface » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:05 pm

whatever tubes came stock with my now 6 year old AD30 is the sound I fell in love with