NEW: Fender Super Champ XD

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

thedavide
Orange Expert

Post by thedavide » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:51 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by notagain</i>
<br />IMHO, I personally have not been impressed with any
of the Fender amps with their DSP...just my 2 cents
worth.

Of course, if you have one and love the DSP, more power
to you, don't let this old guy keep you from checking
one out.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Have you tried a SuperChamp XD?
This amp has been impressing many Fender tube purists as great practice amp. Many are calling it "the" practice/bedroom amp to have.
Apparently the voicings are pretty damn good, although there's not a lot of talk about the digital effects. Fender should have just left the digital effects out and kept the voicings in, my opinion.

notagain

Post by notagain » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:16 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by thedavide</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by notagain</i>
<br />IMHO, I personally have not been impressed with any
of the Fender amps with their DSP...just my 2 cents
worth.

Of course, if you have one and love the DSP, more power
to you, don't let this old guy keep you from checking
one out.

Have you tried a SuperChamp XD?
This amp has been impressing many Fender tube purists as great practice amp. Many are calling it "the" practice/bedroom amp to have.
Apparently the voicings are pretty damn good, although there's not a lot of talk about the digital effects. Fender should have just left the digital effects out and kept the voicings in, my opinion.

Yep, it wasn't bad by any means, just not my cup of tea. You should
try one though, you might like it! If you do, that's all that matters.

I still find all of it too digital sounding, IMHO.

For the price it might be a good option for many!
I would take a Tiny Terror over it any day!
Wish I hadn't sold mine.
[:0]

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:24 pm

I still need to get some place and play one of these things. I'm thinking I'd just mod it to take out the FX all together maybe.

greyvents
Orange Expert

Post by greyvents » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:41 pm

just called up my local shop...they have them in the warehouse but none in store yet. i shld be able to get them to bring one in though.

Neil, im not 100% sure about this, but i dont think you need to have the fx running.
Mark

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster
Fender Classic Player 50s Strat
Orange TT, PPC 112
Cornford Roadhouse 30 Combo

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:43 pm

Well, that's what I was hoping/thinking. If you turn the FX knob down to 0, it should take it out of the circuit, I would hope at least.

It would be cool to try. I keep thinking that it wouldn't be much harder to mod this thing into a regular Tweed Deluxe...

Simon Wicks
Orange Master

Post by Simon Wicks » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:22 pm

Solid state overdrive? Screw that! ;) I'll stick to all tube cheers.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:58 pm

I just want to hear how it sounds. If it sounds really cool, then I might have to pick one up. If not, then i'll still be GASin for a tweed deluxe kit. I still like the idea of a tweed deluxe from Weber, I want the alnico 12" speaker in there as well. But it's twice the price, and if this little combo is a nifty thing that has a great sound, well, maybe, just maybe....

....I'll have to keep wanting it and whine about how much money I don't have. :?:x[:p]:D

greyvents
Orange Expert

Post by greyvents » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:04 pm

thats what im thinking as well. IF it sounds good then it might be an idea to get an aby box to use with my tt.
Mark

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster
Fender Classic Player 50s Strat
Orange TT, PPC 112
Cornford Roadhouse 30 Combo

thedavide
Orange Expert

Post by thedavide » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:54 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by notagain</i>

I would take a Tiny Terror over it any day!

I completely agree with you there. I purchased my Tiny Terror as a practice amp and what a practice amp it is. :)

Snitz User
Orange Master

Post by Snitz User » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:43 am

I hate Fender and now I hate Neil why because now I have to buy another amp for my collection.So next time Neil keep your way too over cool discoveries to yourself,you big gas breeder you.No but really Neil this one flew right under my radar thanx for the heads up dude.I can just see those 2 6V6'S glowing away right now in my studio.

I have a Fender Musicmaster Bass Amp running on 2 6L6'S(stock they run 6V6'S) and I am guessing that a little bit of inspiration for the tube layout and phase inverter came from this very amp.Rather than the Champ itself, as the Musicmaster Bass Amp was the very first Fender amp to use a phase inverter this way instead of using a tube hence the Musicmaster Amps are or were pretty unique.

They also made an EL-84 version of the MM Bass Combo,apparently not quite as good a tone from what other people have told me.This one that I own puts out about 12 watts and tears paint of the walls it is so loud,just stick a good delay pedal in the mix and your good to go.So if your are after a cheaper alternative to vintage Champs or you don't want DSP effects built in then maybe consider the Musicmaster Bass Combo as another option.

The overall tone is kinda tweedy meets blackface with just a hint of silverface only 2 knobs to tweak a volume and a tone.The only downside is that now a whole mod/hotroding cult has sprung up around the MMaster Bass Combo so too have the prices, less than 10 years ago you would have probably picked one up for $50-$100 US bucks ah sometimes things going vintage sucks Bummer.....now I see them at a crazy $450-$550 US bucks but if you shop around I still hear of people getting them for a bargain prices

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:12 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gillyzoom</i>
<br />I hate Fender and now I hate Neil why because now I have to buy another amp for my collection.So next time Neil keep your way too over cool discoveries to yourself,you big gas breeder you.No but really Neil this one flew right under my radar thanx for the heads up dude.I can just see those 2 6V6'S glowing away right now in my studio.

I have a Fender Musicmaster Bass Amp running on 2 6L6'S(stock they run 6V6'S) and I am guessing that a little bit of inspiration for the tube layout and phase inverter came from this very amp.Rather than the Champ itself, as the Musicmaster Bass Amp was the very first Fender amp to use a phase inverter this way instead of using a tube hence the Musicmaster Amps are or were pretty unique.

They also made an EL-84 version of the MM Bass Combo,apparently not quite as good a tone from what other people have told me.This one that I own puts out about 12 watts and tears paint of the walls it is so loud,just stick a good delay pedal in the mix and your good to go.So if your are after a cheaper alternative to vintage Champs or you don't want DSP effects built in then maybe consider the Musicmaster Bass Combo as another option.

The overall tone is kinda tweedy meets blackface with just a hint of silverface only 2 knobs to tweak a volume and a tone.The only downside is that now a whole mod/hotroding cult has sprung up around the MMaster Bass Combo so too have the prices, less than 10 years ago you would have probably picked one up for $50-$100 US bucks ah sometimes things going vintage sucks Bummer.....now I see them at a crazy $450-$550 US bucks but if you shop around I still hear of people getting them for a bargain prices

Haha, I'm glad you thought this one was cool too Gilly. I'm not familiar with the phase inverter set up of this amp, and I was wondering how they did it with only one pre-amp tube.

Is the actual pre-amp signal all solid state, running into a tube phase inverter and then a set of tubes? That could be interesting, almost like using solid state pedals before a tube amp.

Tell me more Gilly!

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Re: NEW: Fender Super Champ XD

Post by nlimbaugh » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:34 pm

Concerning the last post, There isn't any solid state in their I would surely assume (Fender musicmaster bass amp) don't they just use one side on the tube as the driver and the other side as the pi.... kinda like some thing Orange did on their OR80? Now to clarify, the TT uses one preamp v1 as the driver ( I think it's called ) and the other one v2 as the pi.... pretty straightforward.... And to carry on, do those PI parts of the preamp (especially those pulling v1 and half of v2 to the other half of v2 for the pi) get burnt out any quicker than the driver part.... I always thought the V1 went the quickest regardless. Educate me gurus, please and thank you in advance.

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:27 pm

And the winner of zombie thread of the year award goes to.......................................:)
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:24 pm

Digger, please!

Bensnake