Going nuts on stage!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Dr. Orange
Orange Expert

Post by Dr. Orange » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:57 am

OK, I know it looks cool to have a seizure on stage and do double back flips off the PA but people need to watch themselves. My friend was going nuts and he smashed his cheap ass bass right into the neck of my Gibson Gothic SG and effed it up. Not trying to be a wine O but has anything similar ever happened to any of you guys? What do you say to something like that? :?
My Oranges got extra pulp son!

zeppelin450
Orange Expert

Post by zeppelin450 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:01 am

Irony!

My bass player did a similar thing at practice, he smashed one of his tuners into the body of my few month old ash strat. I was so pissed. He played the "it's just cosmetics" card, but still, anyone would be pissed if their axe got dented...

He's crazy and not careful AT ALL.

Dr. Orange
Orange Expert

Post by Dr. Orange » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:02 am

Do we have the same bass player? My bass player is the type o guy that puts 40's on top of his amp! WTF!<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zeppelin450</i>
<br />Irony!

My bass player did a similar thing at practice, he smashed one of his tuners into the body of my few month old ash strat. I was so pissed. He played the "it's just cosmetics" card, but still, anyone would be pissed if their axe got dented...

He's crazy and not careful AT ALL.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:16 am

I was 1/2 inch from taking out the other guitarists eye with the headstock of my SG last new years eve.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

mre1208
Orange Expert

Post by mre1208 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:39 am

a good friend of mine bought an american strat and played his first show where he decided to go crazy and spin it and reduced his headstock to splinters.

Flatline
Tiny Terror

Post by Flatline » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:36 am

the bass player in my band was going crazy, and I was on one knee trying to dial in a good tone (you know...after the sound guy effs your settings up with the "turn it down" bullcrap) so long story short bass player knocks the drummers crash/ride over and it slashed right down to the wood of my BLACK SG... to this day it angers me

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone Sheraton II
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Yamaha Acoustic
Vox AC30CC Head
2x12 avatar with V30's
59 Fender Bassman
Random Pedals for tonage.

Dr. Orange
Orange Expert

Post by Dr. Orange » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:05 am

Bass player are all nutz in my honest opinion.:D

timi
Rocker

Post by timi » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:23 am

Don't be in bands with alcoholics and you will be fine ;)

Tibor
Orange Hero

Post by Tibor » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:12 am

a few months back... i became "dizzy" on the stage and were falling backward with the help of a twisted cable around my legs....

i managed not to knock down my fullstack...and flew right onto the 24" Crashride of our drummer... but i managed to play the solo to the end...

after the show someone came to the stage and said "cool show...it was looking like in the old days with The WHO?"... i was a bit embarred but i didn't mention it was an accident...:D

the other day our drummer managed to hit my new ESP, by allowing a racktom to fall from his storrage board 6ft directly on the cutaway... now there is a nice dent 1Inch long and a 1/4inch deep... COOL... i dont like scars!:(

rabies
Orange Master

Post by rabies » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:24 am

haha wow, it does seem like bassists are the clumsy ones so far!
in fact, i've felt my bassists headstock whizz by my head a couple times so far, one show we knocked headstocks but luckily it wasn't bad enough to even make us go out of tune, and another time he almost fell over right into my amp...i think he might have even came close to falling over at the gig tonight..

Gaius Marius
Tiny Terror

Post by Gaius Marius » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:57 am

I played bass in a metal band, but at least I only wrecked my own instruments. I did the apparently obligatory for bassists jump off the drums platform and pretty much splintered the body of my brand new ESP bass that I`d had for only 5 days... I`ve also broken a couple of necks - Instrument necks, that is.

Oh and I`ve placed a bottle of beer on top of my amp, which obviously fell over and spilled down through the cooling grill and onto the tubes... BAM!!!

Comments unneccesary. I AM an idiot.

danbond
Orange Expert

Post by danbond » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:55 am

I much prefer to see people going nuts on stage, and if that means the band play less expensive instruments as a sacrifice (and therefore have slightly less brilliant sound) then i dont care, i'd rather see/hear that, than see people trying to protect their gear on stage.

Maybe its worth playing cheaper guitars when playing shows if the stage is cramped? Of course a squier or epiphone might not feel as fun to play, but you'd thank your self if any of the above happened, and you might even enjoy paying the show more as you could forget about worrying for your gear.

Sir Boof
Orange Hero

Post by Sir Boof » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:20 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by danbond</i>
<br />I much prefer to see people going nuts on stage, and if that means the band play less expensive instruments as a sacrifice (and therefore have slightly less brilliant sound) then i dont care, i'd rather see/hear that, than see people trying to protect their gear on stage.

Maybe its worth playing cheaper guitars when playing shows if the stage is cramped? Of course a squier or epiphone might not feel as fun to play, but you'd thank your self if any of the above happened, and you might even enjoy paying the show more as you could forget about worrying for your gear.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

sound first, showmanship second. i love a lively show as much as the next guy and goin crazy is great but at the expence of sound ill take the sound. although seeing flea go crazy is one of the best things ive ever seen, hes got about 10'x20' to go crazy so he can do a gymnastics sceen and not bother john or anthony

riffmonster
Orange Master

Post by riffmonster » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:18 pm

I've a few chunks outta my LP thanks to cymbols, bass, mic stands etc.

I can't see the point of not using the LP - so it stays in showroom condition. The only dings I get annoyed about are stupid stuff like falling off the guitar stand...
:D
Mark

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:34 pm

Being a bass player I can attest to being clumsy at times. But when a show's kicking I usually just dance around and stuff. My bass is way too heavy for any Flea maneuvers and I'd definitely mortally wound someone in the process most likely myself. And we play a lot of dock bars in the summer so I'd prefer not to fall into the Chesapeake.:D
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact