Favorite distortion pedal with Rockerverb 50

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

trpullen
Tiny Terror

Post by trpullen » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:54 am

OK, I love the Dirty channel. I am thinking something to use with the clean side in a quasi-3 channel rig. What is your favorite pedal for those situations?
Thomas R. Pullen
<font size="1"><font color="blue">proud player of <font color="orange">Orange</font id="orange"> Rockerverb 50 Head and 212PPC</font id="blue"></font id="size1">

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:21 am

Well I don't have the RV50, but what I do with my AD amp, I play channel 1 super clean, and channel 2 pretty distorted for a harder punch when needed... then, I kick in the Big Muff Pi on channel 1 for a sweet fuzz, and kick it in on Channel 2 for a super gritty fuzz. I've basically got 4 options there.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

Zen Arcade

Post by Zen Arcade » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:56 am

I use a big muff as well but only on the distortion channel. With my Les Paul Standard I use a very particular EQ setting : reverb at 10 o'clock, highs at 7 o'clock (yes, zero level), mids and bass at max level, gain : 1 o'clock, volume knob guitar 60%, .
Big Muff : vol 100%,tone : totally open, sustain at 9 o'clock.
Works perfectly with the distortion chanel, great boost for heavy stuff or soloing but totally crap when combined with the clean channel. It gives me 3 options in total. I use this combination already for 2 years with great satisfaction.
Also, not compatible with single coils.

www.myspace.com/recyclingcolumbia

Aslan
Orange Master

Post by Aslan » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:33 pm

I also love the distortion channel on my RV50H, but I use a three pedal chain in front of the amp: Guitar - Fulltone Wah - Cream Tone - Rat (Keeley mod) - RV50. With this set up it gives me three sounds in each channel. With six tones I can play just about anything from jazz to blues to rock. I also run a a MXR microamp and a Visual sound liquid chorus in the effects loop, the mxr is a nice transparent boost and the liquid chorus gives delay or chorus (I don't use chorus very much) if needed.

I play in a three piece band (drums, keyboard, and guitar)that covers alot of different styles.
One night we may play jazz on the patio of a local pub, the next night we may be at the local Hyatt playing vintage rock for a convention of baby boomers. Actually one of my favorite places is a large Botanical Garden in the middle of our parks here, the sound has a natural echo & ambience there that is amazing.
[img][img]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa18 ... 040012.jpg[/img][/img]

Gear:
Retro 50 & PPC212
RV50H & PPC212
65Amps Royal Albert
65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS David Grissom
PRS Prism
PRS Santana MD
PRS 305
PRS Hollowbody II single cut
PRS Sunburst 22

Allardson
Orange Hero

Post by Allardson » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:20 pm

Well
I'm not that a guitar tech so i may be mistaking
But I know my guitarist has a great pedal but I don't know if that's a distortion one
This is an Ibanez TS9
And for his rocker 30
Makes a really cool sound

Zen Arcade

Post by Zen Arcade » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:49 pm

I own a TS9 also but it doesn't work at all with my Rockerverb 50H combined with a Les Paul. Not on the clean and neither on the dirty chanel. It sounds very harsh and not natural.

The same is true for the Jeckyl & Hyde pedal of which one chanel is a TS9 clone.

It may work with single coils, I don't know!

Mondayeyes
Orange Expert

Post by Mondayeyes » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:54 pm

I would check out the Fulltone OCD or an MI Audio Crunchbox
-andy

Bad Cat Hot Cat 2x12
US Telecaster
72' Telecaster Deluxe
Epiphone Sheraton II
Various Pedals used in moderation
----------------

Band
www.myspace.com/hushhushcommotion

trpullen
Tiny Terror

Post by trpullen » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:24 am

I am going to play with the BBE Green Screamer. I have had great luck with the MindBender Chorus and BoostaGrande. If it sounds decent, cool. IF not, then I have a good list of stuff to try.

Thanks for the list.
Thomas R. Pullen
<font size="1"><font color="blue">proud player of <font color="orange">Orange</font id="orange"> Rockerverb 50 Head and 212PPC</font id="blue"></font id="size1">

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:22 am

Xotic BB Preamp. Really natural overdrive, works well with every amp I've put it in front of. Use it with my Rocker 30 and I can get thick smooth rhythm tones, and abrasive saturation when combined with the dirty channel.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:29 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bandeapart</i>
<br />Well I don't have the RV50, but what I do with my AD amp, I play channel 1 super clean, and channel 2 pretty distorted for a harder punch when needed... then, I kick in the Big Muff Pi on channel 1 for a sweet fuzz, and kick it in on Channel 2 for a super gritty fuzz. I've basically got 4 options there.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I have a Big Muff (the US reissue) and I simply can't get it to sound good on my AD30 :( It has that horrible 'thrrrp' noise with no definition to notes and also sounds too scooped in the midrange to my ear... wish I could get it to sound good, as I'm generally a fan of big fat fuzzy sounds!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:56 pm

The best distortion pedal for the RV50 is this one:

Greg

notagain

Post by notagain » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:02 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Norrin Radd</i>
<br />The best distortion pedal for the RV50 is this one:

Good One, Greg! ;)

trpullen
Tiny Terror

Post by trpullen » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:34 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Norrin Radd</i>
<br />The best distortion pedal for the RV50 is this one:

True there. I have that one already.
Thomas R. Pullen

BListic
Orange Master

Post by BListic » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:51 am

IVE BEEN USING A ZVEX BOX OF ROCK, AND A ROUTE 66 DISTORTION/COMPRESSION PEDAL AND THEY HAVE BEEN WORKING PRETTY WELL.

IM THINKING ABOUT GETTINGA BIG MUFF AND TRYING THAT OUT.
Bryan
Southern California
=====================
That's the most powerful trank gun on the market!
=====================

damienwatt_au
Orange Master

Post by damienwatt_au » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:58 am

i cant seem to tame the big muff with th ad140