AD 200 MkIII - who can give me information?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

paulb
Orange Expert

Post by paulb » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:18 pm

Welcome McBass!

I've owned two Ampeg SVTs, one from the early 70s that I really regret selling, and one from 2000 that I couldn't get rid of fast enough - JUNK!

The AD200 Mklll is by far the best sounding amp I've used in years. I've had Trace Elliot, GK, Marshall, Fender (don't go there) and GB, plus I've used Eden, SWR and MarkBass. I wouldn't trade my Orange for any of them. In MY opinion, the AD200 Mklll gives me the vintage tone I love at a volume that fits my needs.

I've been using mine through my Orange 410 and 115 cabs for more than 300 shows and I've yet to run into a lack-of-power situation.

I must admit that I would love to have a go at a Mesa 400+ for a show just once! If they are good enough for Sir Paul, they must be doing something right!

Oranges are sweet!

McBass

Post by McBass » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:24 am

@ PaulB

Yea, the Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+ sounded really good and even the quality is brilliant!!! :D
But after 14 years of useing that thing I get rid of it. I would like to go back to my roots. And my roots are Orange amplification at 1975!
As I sayed - I still have my old Orange Graphic 120 and it is still going strong but I would like to have a stronger one.
So I was interest in the new AD200 but unfortunately there are PCB's inside. Especially the powertubes seems to be mounted at the PCB. :( I would prefer a piont-to-point wiring because for my opinion that is more stronger for the "road" and much more valuable. Besides the PCB and other things of the AD200 Mk3 seems to produce mainly in China! (?) :(
So I prefer strong British craftmanship with point-to-point wiring as my old Orange is made!!!
Maby I have to look after another amp manufacturer or I can find a very first AD200B, original produced in UK and ptp wiring! (?)

Is anybody out there who sells such a AD200B?:?: ;)

Why do you ask for more power?
My old Orange (120 watts by 4xEL34's) for example is nearly as loud as my 400+ (about 260 watts RMS, 500 watts peak by 12x6L6's)!
So the AD200 (200 watts by 4xKT88's) must be minimum as loud as my 400+!

cheers
THE man behind the BASS

Aslan
Orange Master

Post by Aslan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:23 pm

My AD200 has the best natural bass sound that I've been able to find. You can feel the bass as much as hear it. We play everything from jazz to blues to rock and it works well in large or small places. One thing that I do that is unorthodox is instead of using a direct box I liked the sound of my amp through the speakers as I hear it so I mic the cab with a Sennhiser e609 and it comes out over the PA perfectly.

[img][img]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa18 ... 210007.jpg[/img][/img]

Gear:
Retro 50 & PPC212
RV50H & PPC212
65Amps Royal Albert
65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS David Grissom
PRS Prism
PRS Santana MD
PRS 305
PRS Hollowbody II single cut
PRS Sunburst 22

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:24 pm

I'd like to hear what proof exists that these amps are made in China. Usually such boards have Chinese characters and other tell-tale signs. I also would not blindly assume that simply because the amp is PCB that the quality is therefore deficient. In fact some would argue that a PCB provides for a more consistent and therefore less noise prone circuit layout. Even older Oranges were PCB constructed. The only exception are the original Orange Matamps that were tag board.
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact

Allardson
Orange Hero

Post by Allardson » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:19 pm

Well, i bought this huge head yesterday, it's really awesome, i've never played any mesa, but it' way louder that my former ampeg 400W (valve power as well)
And it sounds really really great
Just go for it

timi
Rocker

Post by timi » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:36 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Allardson</i>
<br />but it' way louder that my former ampeg 400W (valve power as well)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
If your Ampeg is all tube it will be 300 watts.

Strange you find the Orange louder. Ampegs have that really cutting midrange and more power so that should be louder. When was your Ampeg last serviced?

Welcome to the AD200B club, they are great amps!

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:41 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by timi</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Allardson</i>
<br />but it' way louder that my former ampeg 400W (valve power as well)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
If your Ampeg is all tube it will be 300 watts.

Strange you find the Orange louder. Ampegs have that really cutting midrange and more power so that should be louder. When was your Ampeg last serviced?

Welcome to the AD200B club, they are great amps!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
How many 6550 tubes is it in a SVT?
6?
6X35W=210watts??
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

McBass

Post by McBass » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:01 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">How many 6550 tubes is it in a SVT?
6?
6X35W=210watts??<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

How many 6550 tubes are in an <b>Orange</b> AD200?
4?
4x35W= 140watts??

It could not be right!

Whats wrong and whats right:?:

;)
THE man behind the BASS

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:10 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by McBass</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">How many 6550 tubes is it in a SVT?
6?
6X35W=210watts??<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

How many 6550 tubes are in an <b>Orange</b> AD200?
4?
4x35W= 140watts??

It could not be right!

Whats wrong and whats right:?:

;)

<br />
Yes, the AD200 has 4 6550's.
Those shouldn't be able to produce more than 35 watts..
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:19 pm

6550's have an individual plate dissipation of 35 watt but are generally 100 watt per Class AB push pull pair in a fixed bias circuit. So the 3 pair in an SVT is 300 watt while the 2 pair in an AD200 is 200 watt. Check out this original Tung Sol ad from when the 6550 was released:

mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact

screamingdaisy
Orange Master

Post by screamingdaisy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:55 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bassdrop</i>
<br />I would say that Mesa and Orange have similar build quality.

I've owned 3 Mesa amps and 3 Orange amps.... unfortunately Orange is nowhere near the same build quality as Mesa.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by McBass</i>

As good as Orange amps are, I like the point-to-point wirings. It is a shame that they mount the valves to the PCB. :( I get rid of my Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+ and so maby I have to look to Hiwatt amplifications. They still build PTP.:)

MATAMP - You probably already know the Matamp/Orange history - They don't currently list a bass amp, but you may be able to talk to them to see if they could do one anyway. Most of their amps are PTP turret board.

Electric Amp - Used to be the US distributor until he had a big fallout with the current Matamp owners and struck out on his own - One of their amps is a 180w non-master volume KT88 based head. All their amp designs are based off either the 1973 or 1974 MATAMP designs, and are old PTP turret board style amps. LOUD AS F*CK.
Les Paul -> Wah -> Amp
Electric Amp 120w MV - Orange 4x12 + Electric 4x12

doombass
Tiny Terror

Post by doombass » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:53 pm

I have an Orange AD200B MK2 amp and it is by far the best sounding bass amp I've heard. Simple layout with the three eq knobs. You don't need more since it does the work so well. I joined another band 6 months ago and needed another 200W tube amp. I settled for a Mesa Boogie Buster. A nice amp (just not as nice overdrive as the Orange) but I really don't need the graphic EQ and I'm not in need of the DI out, FX loop. Also I prefer a passive tone curcuit. Today I got a used Hiwatt DR201 to replace the Mesa. Will rehearse today and gig it on friday. Should be interesting to compare it to the AD200.

Here's inside pics of a MK1 and a MK3 amp:

Allardson
Orange Hero

Post by Allardson » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:45 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fiveightandten</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by McBass</i>
<br />

@ timi
Are you sure that the tubes are mounted directly to the board?
All the new Oranges are built like this. They are a different breed than the older amps. The only exceptions were the custom shop models that were being built for a while.

The PCB's are good quality, and they are designed fairly well. But in terms of build methods, there's essentially no difference between Oranges and any other PCB wired amp out there...a Peavey for instance. You're paying for the circuit design (Cheers to Ade), and for the Orange tolex. Not for the labor involved with someone hand wiring an amp.

-Nick

Damn it!
What you said almost made me sad
I mean, said so roughly!
Tough to hear