To my fellow British members..

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:13 pm

I grew up in South London, and it was a dump. A lot of you guys are talking about central London...

As with any big capital city, a huge chunk of the people there aren't native! That probably explains the good food... Yes, London can be crazy and hurried, but it's just as welcoming as any other big city. The Brits aren't cold, i'd probably say we're some of the more well-adjusted people in the world with a decent sense of humour. However, there are some British twats as well...

However, I don't really like London as a whole. To enjoy central London, you've got to have money to stay there. To get money, you've got to get a good job, and to get a good job you have to work your nuts off. <i>When</i> you get a good job, you spend most of your time further abusing aforementioned nuts...

But I grew up in a suburb. Comparing that to London would be like comparing a NYC suburb to Manhattan... say the Bronx or Flushing. Completely different. Some places you just don't walk around, others you walk around with your camera and wallet waving everywhere.

I don't mind the city - I grew up there, but I wouldn't choose to live there. I like green spaces.

Beer's good though!
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Blainy
Orange Master

Post by Blainy » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:32 pm

And London is officially the greenest capital in the world. Parks everywhere. Sorry, Joe, I grew up in Enfield and that's a bit of a (albeit middle-class) dump. A lot of South London's not that great. But in a city of 7-8 million people, ordinary people have to live somewhere. And I sure as hell wouldn't choose to live there.

Yes I was talking about Central London. You have to have money to live there, but you don't need to be rich to visit. I've been to a lot of 'world cities' and IMO there's not ONE to beat London. Paris, Rome, Barcelona, Chicago, NYC come closish, but no cigar.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:52 pm

I agree Alisdair - and actually I lived just outside Croydon in south London in one of the nicer areas, and went to a decent grammar school... however, the place was still a dump until you got out into stockbroker country! - just I think all capital cities are overrated. Having lived there, I never see what the draw is for other people. Sure, go visit it, see a few of the sights, but after that - if you want to stay in the middle - well... I wouldn't bother unless you had an ulterior motive.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:56 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tango</i>
<br />I was dead nervous walking around London on the first day of our honeymoon there...And I live over here! :D

Manchester's scary too...it's probably 'cause I live kinda in the sticks.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

WOW I can't believe you said that,and you fellows have all that gun control stuff too eh?My son loves it there at Oxford.He loves the people and friends that he has made there. Thanks Joe, for the contacts you gave. I believe he has made some new friends there because of you!Now don't be P.O.ed Joe. We all know gun control is false security.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:11 am

City centres are fine here... it's some of the poor suburbs near them that are problems, usually only if there are drug gangs around.

Clay - pleased to hear he's settling down!
Joe

G(sus) saves

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:13 am

Yeah, he loves it and is thriving there. Thanks much for the Christian contacts that you gave.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:56 am

I would love to visit london someday.
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:57 am

Well..........when your good lady recovers........it might be a great place to take her away to for a week or so!
Best wishes.
Brian
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

notagain

Post by notagain » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:07 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by feider</i>
<br />I would love to visit london someday.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
So would I...have always wanted to visit
the UK, appears that dream is getting a bit
dimmer and dimmer the older I get.

manwithgun
Tiny Terror

Post by manwithgun » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:19 am

I come from Sheffield, (the North to all you Americans) and to be honest i find it a much more friendly place than London, i do like London when i visit but i couldn't imagine living there......far too busy, people don't give you the time of day in my opinion!

It is a great place to visit though for a few days as there is soooooo much to do and so much history!

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:26 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BrianGT</i>
<br />Well..........when your good lady recovers........it might be a great place to take her away to for a week or so!
Best wishes.
Brian
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"><u></u>Brian, if we can ever get there, I will personally look you up. How is your wife doing?
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:31 am

She is doing fine thank you!
She had a check up today with her Consultant and they are happy with her progress. She still get's very tired easily but all is going well.
I hope your wife is getting there too.......I know how hard chemo is on the body but stick it out as it really does work.
It is a poison......and cancer cells eat 3 times as much as a normal cell......so they eat more poison and die. The trouble is that it poisons the system too....
Best wishes always,
Brian
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

notagain

Post by notagain » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:27 am

<h2>It seems both Brian's and Scott's wives
are making great progress...incredible news!
Best wishes to all of you, your wives are
both hero's in my book!</h2>

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:45 am

All Four deserve <s>Comondations!(sp)</s>

Accommodations.
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:08 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by notagain</i>
<br /><h2>It seems both Brian's and Scott's wives
are making great progress...incredible news!
Best wishes to all of you, your wives are
both hero's in my book!</h2>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"><u></u>Mark, many thanks. I consider you a great friend, even thought we never met in person.