ad200b question!!! :)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

boroman
Tiny Terror

Post by boroman » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:29 pm

Hello
I've got ad200b mk3 today!!! It looks awesome and i am very shocked how well this baby is built.

My questions: i have ampeg 810e (4ohms), can i just plug it to "4ohm" output of the amp (it has on the back: 4ohm | 4ohm | 8ohm outputs)? what brand are the tubes? they look very cheap and weak. what will be in the sound change when i replace it with kt88's?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:42 pm

Yes you can plug one 4 ohm cab into one of the 4 ohm outputs. You can't ever plug two 4 ohm cabs in though...

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:43 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by boroman</i>
<br />what brand are the tubes? they look very cheap and weak.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Let your ears decide.... play it for a bit and see how it sounds. "Looking" cheap and weak isn't the best way to tell how tubes will sound....

boroman
Tiny Terror

Post by boroman » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:53 pm

ok thanks. BTW that;s strange but i got manual of Rockreverb inside the box ;)

There was a thing with speaker outputs 8/8/16 and they tell not to connect two 8ohm cabs into two 8ohm speaker outs (you can put two 16 ohm cabinets into two 8ohm spekaerouts, one 8ohm cabinet to one 8ohm out or one 16ohm cab to one 16ohm out)

So, bclaire, can I really connect two 4 ohm cabs into two 4ohm spk. outputs in ad200b???

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:00 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">can I really connect two 4 ohm cabs into two 4ohm spk. outputs in ad200b???<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
No, you can either use one or two 8 ohm cabs or only one 4 ohm cab.
<br />
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">what will be in the sound change when i replace it with kt88's?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
Go for some NOS KT88's, that will bring out the best tone out of that amp. Even though they're expensive, they will not only sound really good, but last you a decade or two!
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:14 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by boroman</i>
<br />ok thanks. BTW that;s strange but i got manual of Rockreverb inside the box ;)

There was a thing with speaker outputs 8/8/16 and they tell not to connect two 8ohm cabs into two 8ohm speaker outs (you can put two 16 ohm cabinets into two 8ohm spekaerouts, one 8ohm cabinet to one 8ohm out or one 16ohm cab to one 16ohm out)

So, bclaire, can I really connect two 4 ohm cabs into two 4ohm spk. outputs in ad200b???

no no no no- I said you CAN'T connect two 4 ohm cabs. That would be a total of 2 ohms and your amp goes 'boom.'

paulb
Orange Expert

Post by paulb » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:56 pm

Wow! You got a manual with your amp?!?! Sure it's the wrong one but...Wow!

Kidding aside and seeing as none of us want to see you blow up your new Orange try this:

Output options - 8ohms 4ohms 4ohms

Speakers - one 8ohms cab into 8ohm output
two 4ohms cabs into both 4ohms outputs
one 4ohms cab into one 4ohms output

Now go annoy your neighbours. 8)

Oranges are sweet!

Heartsndspades
Orange Master

Post by Heartsndspades » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:00 am

awesome man!! good luck with the nos kt88's though, the prices on those things (if you can find them) are insane. new ones supposedly dont even compare either. ge 6550's would prob be your best/cheapest bet.
Bass: orange-ad200b, obc4x10, obc1x15/ ampeg b-15/ fender Jazz/ 74' gibson grabber/ peterson stobeostomp/ ehx deluxe memory man/ malekko b:assmaster/ voodoo labs pedal power 2+/ monster bass cables
Guitar: Fender 69' Tele Thinline/ Ampeg B-15
*korey*

boroman
Tiny Terror

Post by boroman » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:04 am

thanks

OK now, what's the difference in 220 or 240v switch on the back? i think i have 230 in my country, so what setting will be better for amp?

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:07 pm

Beware of fake NOS tubes. They're all over the place as the prices continue to go up (most are relabeled Chinese on ebay). Only deal with reputable dealers. Western Electric is making exact reproduction Gold Lion KT88's just as they have for the 300B's (the latter have received excellent reviews). They're not quite as expensive and certainly easier to find than the originals. They run about the same per quartet as GE 6550A's. I'm seriously tempted myself. These were still under development when I last retubed. These are actual high end repros and are supposedly much better than the New Sensor version so only go from one of the official dealers: [url]http://www.westernelectric.com/dealers.asp[/url Unfortunately I do not have anyone to recommend in Europe for NOS tubes, but if you're lo.

As far as the voltage setting, I'd check with someone knowledgeable about the exact voltage standard for your country and if it is 230V set it to 240V.
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact

boroman
Tiny Terror

Post by boroman » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:52 am

Thanks

BTW, the last one: how can i bias my orange ad200b-mk3 amp (when changineg to new tubes?) - it has no bias and test points on the back?

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:31 pm

The test points are on the board itself. Discharge your caps or take it to a tech.
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:35 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by paulb</i>
<br />Wow! You got a manual with your amp?!?! Sure it's the wrong one but...Wow!

Kidding aside and seeing as none of us want to see you blow up your new Orange try this:

did you mean 2 8ohm's into both 4 ohm outputs?..
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:36 pm

I wanted to correct some of the info in my previous post. Apparently the Western Electric reissue KT88's are being held up but not by production problems. They had wanted to use the Genalex/Gold Lion brand name but they lost a lawsuit to New Sensor Corp. who are making their own reissues in Russia. The Russian ones are probably not as good as what Western Electric would have released, but then again, the Russian Gold Lions are about $250 USD per quartet and Western Electric has theirs priced at $1700 per quartet on their site, which is about what you'd pay for the real deal. Even considering that they're made in Alabama, and have been in development for years, that's a lot of money for new tubes.
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method

paulb
Orange Expert

Post by paulb » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:24 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mr_william</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by paulb</i>
<br />Wow! You got a manual with your amp?!?! Sure it's the wrong one but...Wow!

did you mean 2 8ohm's into both 4 ohm outputs?..

Yes - whoops - that should have read 2 x 8ohms into each of the 4 ohms outputs. Thanks for catching that!

Oranges are sweet!