Rackmount processors?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

sheedbg
Tiny Terror

Post by sheedbg » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:06 pm

Whose got some suggestions for decent rackmount processors for a new guy in the rackmount world - particularly one that works with the Rockerverb 50's FX loop? I seem to see a lot TC Electronic G Major systems, looking for what everyone has. Thanks !
Rockerverb 50
PPC 2X12
Parker Nitefly Mojo

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:20 pm

Few chaps have that one here, and like it as I recall.

What are you looking for, effects wise? No point getting a rack just for the sake of it!
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

sheedbg
Tiny Terror

Post by sheedbg » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:35 pm

Really hoping someone would give some feedback on their G major system or other rackmount processor, for modulation effects nothing to negate the pre-amp of the Orange. Doesn't look like this thread's gonna work ;(
Rockerverb 50
PPC 2X12
Parker Nitefly Mojo

bgarrett_uk
Orange Master

Post by bgarrett_uk » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:02 pm

I use a Rocktron Xpression in the FX loop of the RV50 head. Primarily for various and subtle delays.
It's hooked up via a GCX switcher (Now Voodoo Labs) and everything controlled via a Ground Control Pro (now Voodoo Labs) - step on one switch to do everything... easy. This switching unit is a doddle to use on stage (thanks Billy and Leon, great advice and recommendation).
The switcher takes the Rocktron out of circuit completely when I'm not using it. However, the Xpression can route the analog dry signal out to avoid any residual "processed" sound degrading the tone.
Cheers
Brian

orangenoise
Orange Expert

Post by orangenoise » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:10 pm

I use both a TC G-System and a Fractal Audio Axe-FX in the loop of my RV50. Both sound superb!

If I were to give a recommendation though, it would be the Axe-FX. That thing is probably the best rack unit out right now. Some say better than Eventide. Not too expensive either; but there's a wait list. Just a heads up that the advertised price at fractalaudio.com is $400 more than what you actually pay when you recieve the "go-ahead-and-buy" email.

rob
-<font color="orange"><b>orangenoise</b></font id="orange">

http://www.myspace.com/orangenoise

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:45 pm

Hi Brian,

Long time no speak. I've tried a few Brook guitars in your absence - here was the last installment of my acoustic hunt:

http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... uitar,hunt

Found a Patrick Eggle guitar which slams everything i've played so far.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

6pack595

Post by 6pack595 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:59 pm

I have an ad30r and an ad15/12. I use a boss gt-6 for effects, and an ernie ball volume pedal for solo's. I do not use any preset patches. I wanted to keep my amp sounding ORANGE. I put in some serious owners manual time and hands on tweeking to squeeze the tones I get out of my gt-6, but it was well worth it. Its nice not to wory about knobs getting moved out of place, and it,s conveniant to move around!

"...if I had a dollar for every beer I drank, I'd spend it on more beer!"

Even

Post by Even » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:59 am

I use an Eventide 7500. The loop you refer to is not in stereo. Most processors can blend outputs for you, but no matter it'll never be stereo. FX loops are for stomp boxes.

If you want to get into stereo effects, this is a nice step, handy during recording, but live use they tend to discolor the signal. Most prefer a wet/dry/wet setup and keep the dry channel perfectly analog clean and the wet channels amp'd separately.

Just to keep it from getting messy. With a Hot Plate or similar attenuator you can capture ANY amp signal and add fx, while not disturbing it's dry tone. It's not as simple as an fx loop, but...
-Jim
ADA MP-1<ART Multiverb=Eventide 7500>Orange AD30HTC=Eminence Texas Heat/Jensen P10R

Even

Post by Even » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:20 am

This shows all the equipment I use, and if it were all plugged together at the same time, it would cable this way. But honestly, it's common to remove the MP-1, the FX, even the hotplate at times. Down the center is the dry signal, loaded it's red. The blue paths are line level and recordable, processible. Then reamp'd, sep. cabs.

I like alot of different tones, sometimes the MP-1 is at max gain, feeding back, screaming. But other times it's completely removed because I love the clean repeats. Funny, the Orange is only 1 block of the diagram, all the rest of that I consider equally as valued, together it's a rig.
-Jim
ADA MP-1<ART Multiverb=Eventide 7500>Orange AD30HTC=Eminence Texas Heat/Jensen P10R