Valve replacement...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

lamone

Post by lamone » Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:30 pm

Hi,

I'm Tony from Portsmouth & I just joined the forum...hello to you all!

I'm thinking it's time to change the valves in my AD30 combo...any suggestions on variations for improved tone\performance etc.? Those nice chaps at MM Music in Southampton stuck some mesa boogie valves (I think) in my AC30 as part of a recent overhaul & it now sounds loads better...louder too. Wondering if anyone's done anything similar with the AD30?

My joining the forum has also been prompted by a big mistake at the weekend, picking up a Fender Deville offered at a great price...had one before the AD30 I liked it for Strat\Tele stuff, however at rehearsal it sound bloody awful...harsh & un-musical. I'm afraid it's going back in exchange for, hopefully, the twin channel Orange head...keep the faith is obviously the message.

Best regards,
Tony.

lamone

Post by lamone » Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:09 pm

Thanks Sooner...I'll check out voxtalks tho' I'll be out of my depth in seconds I expect...will forward any interesting replies to my local orange dealer.

Glad you enjoyed your briefy time in Pompey...the novelty wears off quick I can assure you :)

Regards, Tony.

gearnut
Tiny Terror

Post by gearnut » Sat Nov 09, 2002 1:09 pm

Here's my tube experience with AD30tc.

Preamps: NOS GE 5751's, warm and round, thick sounding, not harsh at all. It tames the amp a bit. JJ 12ax7's were too dark for my taste. GT 12at7's also mellow it out a bit, but sound decent.

Output El84's: JJ's too dark, Ei's nice and bright, EH's very buzzy, the worst of the lot, Sylvania's decent, kinda unremarkable. Of the relabled brands, Groove Tube stuff is a mixed bag it seems, Ruby's are decent if tamed by preamp, and i tried some mesa tubes and thought they were lifeless.

Right now, i'm using 5751's and the Ei's, i play mostly indie rock and I get an awesome punchy sound wiht lots of clarity and a moderate amount of gain. Very sweet sounding.

reggieisadork

Post by reggieisadork » Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:12 pm

Gearnut, know any stores online with good prices on those Ei's? I recently found an old Altec amp at my church full of RCA's. I found an RCA and an Amperex 5751, two RCA 6CG7s (brit) and an RCA 5U4 rectifier (usa). Think these are any good?

~Reggie
~Reggie

thirstyboy4

Post by thirstyboy4 » Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:16 am

Hi,

My name is Tim and I work for a music shop in Portsmouth, we offer great technical assistance for Orange amps aswell as others, we have guitar technicians on hand to rectify any problems. They are extremely qualified and tour extensively around with many bands inc. THIRST, RED LETTER DAY and with a few PA companies!

Regards

Tj x