OT: Fresh out of high school....now what?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Heartsndspades
Orange Master

Post by Heartsndspades » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:47 am

i duno man take a couple/few classes that interest you at the cc or a tech school for sure though, try and find stuff you might wanna do.
Bass: orange-ad200b, obc4x10, obc1x15/ ampeg b-15/ fender Jazz/ 74' gibson grabber/ peterson stobeostomp/ ehx deluxe memory man/ malekko b:assmaster/ voodoo labs pedal power 2+/ monster bass cables
Guitar: Fender 69' Tele Thinline/ Ampeg B-15
*korey*

AMO.Nick
Rocker

Post by AMO.Nick » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:12 am

Man, If I were you I would seriously look into a career in Photography. My friend was a Photography major and now he works for the business that does Bill Gates family portraits. If you are even a decent photographer there are a lot in fine paying jobs available out there. My brother and I do photo/video for weddings and we charge way less then we should. For legit photo/video people will pay very well. Up to $3,000 for a weekend of work. Get a good digital SLR(Canon or Nikon) and really start practicing. Look for internships, or low experience photo jobs on Craigslist. They are all over the place. Build up your resume and start shooting some weddings. Start off cheap($500-600) or free for you first wedding. Then start charging more. My brother and I do weddings in the summer and now we are doing family portraits and senior pictures in the spring.

Go do college for photography make it your major or even your minor and major in business. It's really not as hard as people think to make a living with photography. It's just a big commitment. You got to be all for it and you have to love it.
Gear::

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Strat
Fender MusicMaster Bass
Rocker 30 Combo
PPC212

My Electronic Music::

www.algebraicsatellite.com/home.html

PrettyMonster

Post by PrettyMonster » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:51 pm

I heard a saying once - "You only regret the things you never did". So before you get sucked into the world of the 40hr work week, credit card debt, mortgage payments, marriage and kids do yourself a favor:

1)Start a band
2)Write some songs
3)Buy a cheap van
4)TOUR THE WORLD 'TIL THE F*CKING WHEELS FALL OFF!

Hey, you can even take photos along the way!

True, this is probably not the fast lane to financial success but last time I checked money can only buy you things not happiness... unless those things happen to be Orange amps :D

So for my 2 cents - don't worry about college (the majority of US college students are over 30 years old) or getting a good job (there will still be jobs and money a few years down the road if/when you decide its time). Just focus on doing what will make you happy.

onewaycpr
Orange Master

Post by onewaycpr » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:08 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ICEisNice</i>
<br />

I just graduated from my high school here in Chicago, IL...(Lane Tech College Prep) back in June....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

is that anywhere near Prospect Bible Church?

im being a fill in drummer for this band and thats a place we are playing on the tour in Chicago,IL....

AMGOrange
Tiny Terror

Post by AMGOrange » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:42 pm

2 other things you can readily do while attending college:
1) start a band
2) meet lots of girls

it's also a good time to get into the music business as you're young and can live on the cheap. that opens you up to taking on internships and even going on the road as a merch assistant or something similar.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Astroman</i>
<br />Going to university was the absolutely best thing, by a very long shot, that I have ever done. I am not talking about "look where it got me" or "there were great parties and buddies" - It is simply the best time because (roughly in order):
A) Intellectually stimulating
B) Carefree while still productive
C) You are with your friends ALL the time
D) Good parties
E) ALL of the above combined

Also, keep this in mind - it will NEVER be the wrong decision to get higher education. You may want to work with your hands in the end, which is fine. But if you go down that path now you may close a lot of doors in the future

paulb
Orange Expert

Post by paulb » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:44 pm

The one thing to avoid like the plague is debt. If you choose not to go to school right away and work for a while, don't get in debt!! Once you're in... you'll never get out. I used to work in a factory many years ago and it paid really well for a job that anyone breathing could do. These guys were out spending money faster than they could make it, and at the same time as they complained how much they hated working there. In the end, I got out. They didn't. I went back to school eventually once I was ready.

Have fun doing what you WANT to now but be careful not to get trapped by HAVING to work at something you don't like in order to pay your debt. ;)

Oranges are sweet!

chrismathewsjr
Orange Master

Post by chrismathewsjr » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:15 pm

First mistake is coming to a guitar forum for advice. :D
'74 Orange OR120 w/Contemporary Avatar 4x12 V30s
'04 Orange AD30 w/Traditional Avatar 2x12 w/G12H30s

http://www.jooniorstudios.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/chrismathewsjr/

paulb
Orange Expert

Post by paulb » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:30 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chrismathewsjr</i>
<br />First mistake is coming to a guitar forum for advice. :D

Correction sir... this is an Orange AMP forum. Not that it makes us any smarter. ;)

Oranges are sweet!