So it has happened......

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Astroman
Orange Expert

Post by Astroman » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:07 pm

The AD30R is gone....and after a 5 day stint with a Deluxe Reverb RI, I am now finally the proud owner of a Marshall 2061X (and cab).

In the store I was actually also considering a JTM45 (with cab) which did sound great, but when I blew I tube (I think) in the practice room I think faith helped me decide in favour of the 2061. Also, it would have been a lesser match for what I was looking for, but you know.....
Lars

Astroman
Orange Expert

Post by Astroman » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:18 pm

Now I realize I need to change my Sig
Lars

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:51 pm

Congratulations on the 2061. Those are fantastic amps. (Cab should be good too.) I'm not normally a huge Marshall fan, but those amps are a definite exception. That is what a REAL amp should sound like IMO. :D

So enjoy, and please do report back on it Lars.

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

Aslan
Orange Master

Post by Aslan » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:13 pm

Hope the new amp works out for you!

Gear:
Retro 50 & PPC212
RV50H & PPC212
65Amps Royal Albert
65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS David Grissom
PRS Prism
PRS Santana MD
PRS 305
PRS Hollowbody II single cut
PRS Sunburst 22

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:21 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Astroman</i>
<br />Now I realize I need to change my Sig
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
I look forward to that..
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Astroman
Orange Expert

Post by Astroman » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:15 pm

Thanks guys

Now I need to spend some time with my new baby and I will definitely report back on progress.

Ironically, it seems my christening as an "Orange expert" will occur in conjunction with a departure from the brand (who knows, I may be back soon).
Lars

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:19 am

Hey congrats. I love the marshall sound, just had to get back to it.
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:37 am

Congrats Lars. You gotta go with the amp that's best for you. Hope you enjoy it! :D

After playing a vintage modern today, I gotta say I'm quite impressed with them too.
Although it's quite hard to judge these things properly in a noisy Guitar Center, I really liked it!
Played the 50W 2x12 combo.
Chris
PRS CU22
Present: TT, PPC 112 (Heritage G12M)
Past: AD15
Image Image

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:43 am

Hey Chris, what did you think of the combo? I have considered one, the head needs a brother.
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:45 am

There is nothing like a great Marshall.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:47 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bluz57</i>
<br />There is nothing like a great Marshall.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"><u></u>You can say that over again.

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:04 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by feider</i>
<br />Hey Chris, what did you think of the combo? I have considered one, the head needs a brother.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Scott, I really liked it. Didn't have too much chance to test it out properly but it had a nice rich sound, IMO perfect for bluesy rock ala Gary Moore et al. I also found it quite easy to dial in Thin Lizzy tones.
I'm sure it could do a lot more but that's what jumped out at me when I plugged in.

I found that I quite liked the mid boost on it too as well as the dynamic range settings - There's a lot more flexibility with them than I had appreciated.
I only played it with a LP studio (similar to yours actually Scott) which I also liked.
Would like to try it with a strat too at some point.

I think the speakers were also a contributing factor, nice warm, early breakup sound. Think they were greenbacks.

Definitely worth checking out if you get the chance. Is it the 100w head you have?
Chris
PRS CU22
Image Image

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:12 am

Hey Chris, great review. My head is the 50 watt version. I played the 100watter, and it didnt sound near as good as this one did.
I am really impressed, marshall did a great job on this model.
Hey, did you lift that combo up by chance? I was wondering about the weight.

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:16 am

No sorry Scott, imagine it's quite heavy though.
You're right, Marshall have definitely come good with it. It was so much warmer and fuller than I was expecting, but still with a great presence to the sound. Right up my street! I am now gassing for one!

Just checked Marshall's site. They say its 30kg so roughly 65lbs or so.
Chris
PRS CU22
Image Image

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:20 am

Hey Chris, they really remind me of the old school heavy sounds. The vintage modern definetly has a thump to it. It doesnt seem to rip your ears out like the older ones did.
I really like mine the more I play on it.