Improving Rocker 30 clean channel

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

upinflames

Post by upinflames » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:52 pm

I just purchased a Rocker 30 head with a matching Orange 2x12 cabinet, and while I love love love the dirty channel the clean is defiantly lacking. I was wondering if I could some recommendations on improving it, probably different tubes? If that's the case, what sockets in the Rocker 30 are for the clean channel?

Aslan
Orange Master

Post by Aslan » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:58 pm

I have a friend who has a R30 and he uses a Visual
Sound Route 66 pedal with the amp. The route 66 has a OD & compressor built into the same box, he leaves the compressor on all the time at a low level and uses the tone control to vary the sound of the clean channel and then uses the OD side as a boost when needed with either channel. It gives the R30 alot more versatility.

Gear:
Retro 50 & PPC212
RV50H & PPC212
65Amps Royal Albert
65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS David Grissom
PRS Prism
PRS Santana MD
PRS 305
PRS Hollowbody II single cut
PRS Sunburst 22

goldpony
Orange Hero

Post by goldpony » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:45 pm

As I mentioned in a post before I use A MXR DynaComp to improve both the clean and dirty channels on my Rocker 30.
If you run the pedal through the front of the amp on a low setting and leave it on all the time it boosts the volume and bass of the clean channel while adding a good amount of sustain to your dirty channel! I'd never use the amp without this pedal again!
Hope you try it dude! :)
Yamaha CV820WB Signature
Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster
Gretch Jet Electro
Gibson Les Paul Jr
Ibanez Hollow AF105-SM
ESP LTD EC1000
Washburn EA18 Acoustic
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange PPCOB 2X12
Epiphone Valve Jnr

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:01 pm

what guitar are you using with the r30?.. what about the sound do you think is "lacking?"

if ur using hb's u might be losing some high end sparkle thats causing it to sound lifeless?
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

upinflames

Post by upinflames » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:11 pm

I use an American Telecaster, Rickenbacker 330, and a vintage Epiphone Emperor. It's really hard to describe tone with words, but I doesn't have any character. It sounds like a guitar running through a DI box. Well, it doesn't sound as bad as that does, but I guess I would like a little sparkle or brightness. Jangle even.

screamingdaisy
Orange Master

Post by screamingdaisy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:57 pm

The R30 I bought came with garbage tubes in it. Seriously. I swapped everything out and went to JJs (ECC803 and E34L). If you're finding the clean channel a bit dark I'd suggest the reissue Telefunkin or an EHX.
Les Paul -> Wah -> Amp
Electric Amp 120w MV - Orange 4x12 + Electric 4x12

BrianFantana
Orange Master

Post by BrianFantana » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:00 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by upinflames</i>
<br />I just purchased a Rocker 30 head with a matching Orange 2x12 cabinet, and while I love love love the dirty channel the clean is defiantly lacking. I was wondering if I could some recommendations on improving it, probably different tubes? If that's the case, what sockets in the Rocker 30 are for the clean channel?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Buy a Fender Twin Reverb if you want "clean." :D

airforce_brian
Orange Master

Post by airforce_brian » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:03 am

I would try maybe some type of trebel booster or something, or even a eq pedal to dial in the sound you want.
PRS Custom 24
American Vintage 62 Jazzmaster
Orange AD140
Orange PPC 412
http://www.myspace.com/brianellismusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

notagain

Post by notagain » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:11 am

I personally loved the clean channel on my old Rocker. try a Xotic RC boost.
It will add clean boost plus tone controls, and a 20DB clean boost.

vintage30
Orange Expert

Post by vintage30 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:18 am

That telecaster should be quite a dynamic input signal.
Look no further than a strat.
ImageImage

upinflames

Post by upinflames » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:37 am

I think I'll try a simple tube change in the clean channel, and maybe some sort of compressor in the near future. I have a Deluxe Reverb for Fender clean.

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:45 am

Mine came with JJ tubes, which are quite dark sounding. I replaced the input of the dirty channel with a Shuguang to give it a bit more neutral tone or sparkle capability, if you will. The clean channel, I liked as it was as I didn't want a Fender clean sound and it was very clear and dynamic as it was, just with a bit of syrup as well. The clean channel input tube is the first preamp tube, nearest the input jack. If you have JJ's in there and you replace it with a Sovtek 12AX7LPS, you'll have a right sparkly clean going on.
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

starfly59
Rocker

Post by starfly59 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:29 am

I'm telling you, get a BBE SonicStomp (Sonic Maximizer) and run it through the amp all the time. It turns the clean channel into a real thing of beauty. Also, change the tubes. I tried 3-4 different (new stock) tubes and ended up loving only Electro Harmonix - huge difference in tone and adds sparkle to the tone to my ears.
Amp: Divided by 13 JRT 9/15 combo
Guitars: Gibson LP, Fender Tele, Fender Strat.
Lots of pedals: Zvex Box of Rock, Fuzz Factory, Fulltone Fulldrive 2, Keeley Compressor, EHX Micro POG, Boss DD20, Line 6 DL4, etc, etc.

half_deaf
Orange Master

Post by half_deaf » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:36 am

+1 for The Juicer. I just replaced the 1st 12ax7 (JJ) with a Sovtek and it really added some sparkle. Very nice change and cheap. Made a difference in both channels. I was running a HBE Germania44 in the front for every guitar except my Tele. That box is no longer needed.
A nice Eq might work well for you also.
Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior !

Retired from the forum because of the intolerance of supposed "tolerant" people.... good night

bower
Orange Expert

Post by bower » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:45 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by upinflames</i>
<br />I use an American Telecaster, Rickenbacker 330, and a vintage Epiphone Emperor. It's really hard to describe tone with words, but I doesn't have any character. It sounds like a guitar running through a DI box. Well, it doesn't sound as bad as that does, but I guess I would like a little sparkle or brightness. Jangle even.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

no jangle ? how loud are you playing it, loud enough for power-amp breakup ?

G&L Legacy, Brian Moore i2000, Orange AD30R :D