Daisy chain question

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

paulb
Orange Expert

Post by paulb » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:16 pm

I'm up on matching ohms and such but I'm wondering about using the daisy chain set up for bass cabs.

I usually run my AD200B into my 410 and 115 using two speaker cables connected to the two 4 ohm outputs. What I'd like to try is taking advantage of the speakon connectors on the back of the cabinets and daisy chain the two.

Question:?:- Do I connect the single speaker cable to one of the 4 ohm outputs on the amp? Each cab is, of course, 8 ohms.

Any comments on if this changes anything with the sound or volume? I'll be using my speakon cable from the last SVT I had.

Oranges are sweet!

hero
Tiny Terror

Post by hero » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:28 am

im pretty sure thats right. andy says that with the tt youd go from one 8ohm output into two 16ohm cabs, so i guess with your ad200b it would work the same.

http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?t=18724
Jason Turner.

Snave
Tiny Terror

Post by Snave » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:46 am

I'm going to have to disagree...

If you're running the cabs in series (daisy-chaining), a 16 ohm out would be a correct match for two 8 ohm cabs.

Now, if you were running in parallel, two 16 ohm cabs would be correctly matched with one 8 ohm output.
VHT Deliverance 60->Soldano Snakeskin 4x12/Mesa/Boogie Roadster 2x12/

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:43 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by paulb</i>
<br />I'm up on matching ohms and such but I'm wondering about using the daisy chain set up for bass cabs.

I usually run my AD200B into my 410 and 115 using two speaker cables connected to the two 4 ohm outputs. What I'd like to try is taking advantage of the speakon connectors on the back of the cabinets and daisy chain the two.

Question:?:- Do I connect the single speaker cable to one of the 4 ohm outputs on the amp? Each cab is, of course, 8 ohms.

Any comments on if this changes anything with the sound or volume? I'll be using my speakon cable from the last SVT I had.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">You've got it right there paulb. :)

While Orange guitar cabs are normally 16 ohms, the bass cabs are normally 8 ohms.

I believe there can be some (slight) tonal differences between the daisy chaining and linking from the two amp outputs. I'll try to dig into that later though 'cos right now I'm just off to bed after a night shift...

Snave, while daisy chaining may physically look like a <u>series</u> connection, ie one cab 'after the other', in fact it normally wires them <i>electrically</i> in <u>parallel</u>, ie 'one beside the other'. With parallel connections the overall impedance always goes down.

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

doombass
Tiny Terror

Post by doombass » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:29 pm

All input jacks on the Orange bass cabs are wired in parallell. Using good speaker cable (ie sufficient gauge wire) will likely not do anything to your sound when daisychaining. Only difference is the cable from amp to first cab has to provide both cabs. When daisychaining two 8 ohms cabs just use one of the 4 ohms outputs (these are also parallell like the cabs) and you'll be fine.

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:00 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by doombass</i>
<br />All input jacks on the Orange bass cabs are wired in parallell. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Most cabinets are parallel. If they were in Series, they would not work alone. The last speaker in line would have to be a standard wired jack as otherwise the circuit would be "Open" and none would work.

The other thing is that your amplifier output jacks would have to be re-wired in Series. The Positive lead to one jack and the Negative to the other. Your speakers would need two jacks each for this as well to complete the loop.
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------