Low Wattage Recording Amp

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Secondhand Dan
Orange Master

Post by Secondhand Dan » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:55 pm

What company makes the best mid gain low wattage recording amp?

I've been looking at the matamp little rock, THD univalve, a dr. z mini z or maz 18, and a bad cat mini cat
'65 Guild Starfire III--Custom 52 HR Tele--Custom Hollow Strat--BYOC Phaser--ZVex Box of Rock--EB VP Jr--Oler ABY--Malekko 616--Tech 21 Boost RVB--AD30r--Orange TT

professor plum
Orange Master

Post by professor plum » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:59 pm

MATAMP MATAMP MATAMP! thell make it and voice it to your specs (plus color ect...) for i think less than the bad cat
valve.(((J0HN)))Resident village idiot
and some tech helper type said, "Gee, Mr Atkins, that guitar sure sounds fabulous!" Chet put the guitar on it's stand and said, "Well, how does it sound now?"

JXG
Orange Master

Post by JXG » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:14 pm

Yep, my money would be on a Matamp, either a Little Rock or Minimat, version 2 of which is out soon I think, which is customisable, the Little Rock isn't. If your looking up to 18 watters there's also the 20 watt Two Rock Jet which I would expect to be amazing given the huge price tag [:0]
http://two-rock.com/products/jet
Don't overlook Fender though, the Deluxe reissues are pretty sweet
What sort of price are you looking at?
John

Secondhand Dan
Orange Master

Post by Secondhand Dan » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:43 pm

the less the better. haha

But i think we all are willing to sacrifice limbs and organs for tone
'65 Guild Starfire III--Custom 52 HR Tele--Custom Hollow Strat--BYOC Phaser--ZVex Box of Rock--EB VP Jr--Oler ABY--Malekko 616--Tech 21 Boost RVB--AD30r--Orange TT

the orangewizard
Orange Master

Post by the orangewizard » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:00 pm

I'll add the Reeves Custom 6,and 12.
Hugh

Secondhand Dan
Orange Master

Post by Secondhand Dan » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:18 am

I want something that is voiced to my specs though. something just like the ad30 but like 5 watts. I like the univalve because I can put el84s in it and whatever preamps I want to get it voiced to what i want. That reeves looks good in orange though :D

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:04 am

Check out the new Fender princeton recording amp.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=483714

I need to check one out myself.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

cassiopamusic
Orange Expert

Post by cassiopamusic » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:15 am

the vox ac-15 is sweet...but that thing gets a little loud.
zac
RF

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:32 am

The Bad Cat Mini Cat may fit that bill. You'd have to try one out to know if it does the trick for you for sure of course, but it sounds like that description in a small combo. It's quite rich but very clean on low gain and then gets a nice crunch anywhere near noon before achieving a pretty gnarly grind at settings beyond. Very basic controls though as most amps of that size and power have, so it'll never be as versatile as the AD30HTC. It will work great at home and be way easier to carry for tiny spaces or for micing up and of course for the studio.
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:28 am

I have a Tech 21 Trademark 10, which uses the Sans Amp analogue amp modeling circuits. It's not tube, but is has lots of versitility, an effects loop, and the XLR output to go directly into the board. I usually put it through a tube pre-amp first. It sounds a lot better than the digital modelers.

The bad news is that they stopped making them. New they ran for $300 and were hard to get at the time.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the orangewizard
Orange Master

Post by the orangewizard » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:19 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Secondhand Dan</i>
<br />I want something that is voiced to my specs though. something just like the ad30 but like 5 watts. I like the univalve because I can put el84s in it and whatever preamps I want to get it voiced to what i want. That reeves looks good in orange though :D
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Did you listen to the clips???
Hugh

Secondhand Dan
Orange Master

Post by Secondhand Dan » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:49 am

yeah it was brilliant. Especially the single coil ones. After those clips i am leaning hard on that one

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:08 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by professor plum</i>
<br />MATAMP MATAMP MATAMP! thell make it and voice it to your specs (plus color ect...) for i think less than the bad cat
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
Well, though I agree with you that Dan should get a little rock, you're wrong with that Matamp would customize the amp for you. The little rock is their only model that comes in original spec. only.

Read more on that here:
http://www.matamp.co.uk/littlerock.htm
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Meole
Orange Master

Post by Meole » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:18 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Orphin</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by professor plum</i>
<br />MATAMP MATAMP MATAMP! thell make it and voice it to your specs (plus color ect...) for i think less than the bad cat
<br />
Well, though I agree with you that Dan should get a little rock, you're wrong with that Matamp would customize the amp for you. The little rock is their only model that comes in original spec. only.

Read more on that here:
http://www.matamp.co.uk/littlerock.htm

This can be customized , maybe he meant this amp: http://www.matamp.co.uk/minimat.htm

Blainy
Orange Master

Post by Blainy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:41 pm

Tiny Tyrannosaurus doesn't record badly.