The AD may be on its way out

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Astroman
Orange Expert

Post by Astroman » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:21 pm

I have had my eye on a Marshall 2061X for some time and I played one again today. Bottom line is that it is just a VERY COOL amp that makes me want it.
Not excactly cheap though - especially if I want the cab that goes with it (which I of course do), so the AD30R might go up for sale.

The funny thing is that I can in no way justify this kind of change/purchase except I just WANT IT, and new things are fun. I love my AD and I may regret getting rid of it but it is just the way things work.

Any thoughts or comments?
Lars

Simon Wicks
Orange Master

Post by Simon Wicks » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:26 pm

Dont buy one, either pay a builder to make you one or buy a kit. Much cheaper than Marshall IMHO. Ceriatone is a good bet. The 2061x is basically a SS rectifer version of the 1974x. You could have Nik build you one for much less than you'd pay for a Marshall. Or, order a kit from someone like GDS or Trinity amps in the USA.

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:48 pm

Hi Lars.......I have that very amp and dedicated cab.
I'm lucky in that my friends own a store so I get things at cost....it does help.
It's a great sound, a bit bright but you can adjust that by chaining the channels and balancing the volumes.
When I brought it home to try out in the studio it put a huge grin on my face! I kept playing all the old classics and I couldn't stop smiling! However..because I had quite a bit of credit with the store I returned it and decided to also take home a Cornford MK50 mk2 head and cab home to try. I had the idea of using up the credit to get the more expensive amp.
No matter how I tried to eq it I hated it. I mean Really hated it!
It was harsh and brittle and the lead sound was so compressed, even with low gain and high master...awful as far as I was concerned.I called the factory 3 times to get advice on the amp but they never returned my call. I had the original MK50 head and cab for about 18 months and that was so much better. (just so you know I am not downing Cornford)
I couldn't wait to take it back and take back the 2061x..never looked back!
I am seriously considering trading in a Fender amp I have for the 1974x combo that they have sitting around....yup!
Brian
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Astroman
Orange Expert

Post by Astroman » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:09 pm

So Brian

It sounds like what you are saying is....go for it.
I really liked the fact that it seems 'crankable' (if that is a word), yet it is still a full amp with big classic sound.

Simon
I see your argument. I feel , however, that the potential financial benefits by doing what you are saying seldom tend to be that great in the end. It would be one thing if I ended up paying 30-40% of the price but I gather it is more like 70-80% and then you have no warranty and it becomes difficult to sell, etc.
Lars

corky newman
Orange Master

Post by corky newman » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:16 pm

Brian thats how I felt when I played the MKII 50..
But when I heard the Hellcat I was floored. Had to have it..
I also just played a cornford 50H..very much the same thick sounds of the Hellcat, only my hellcat can go into the VOX area where the 50H cant...

I am so pleased with my Hellcat, the cleans, crunch, leads, all have the perfect sounds I need for my band..If I miss the American tones, i am gonna buy a Tophat and keep em both..

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:17 pm

Lars......
Only you can decide if it is worth trading your Orange for....all I am saying is that it does have a great sound.
It is almost a one trick pony but it does have "that" sound. It really cleans up from the volume pot on your guitar...........clean to crunch to solo at the flick of the wrist.
I don't normally use any pedals so I don't have a lot around but it does push in to solo made with a pedal.
The amp is LOUD...don't let 20 watts fool you!
I really like the 1974x combo too......I like the valve rectifier sag..instant Clapton/Kossof that you can really "feel" as you play.
I think I have to make that trade!
Brian
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Secondhand Dan
Orange Master

Post by Secondhand Dan » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:18 pm

If you werent in sweden i would be interested in buying that amp haha
'65 Guild Starfire III--Custom 52 HR Tele--Custom Hollow Strat--BYOC Phaser--ZVex Box of Rock--EB VP Jr--Oler ABY--Malekko 616--Tech 21 Boost RVB--AD30r--Orange TT

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:26 pm

Corky......I am so glad it wasn't just ME!!

I am so glad you posted that!

My pals at the store thought it MUST be me.....but they had never cranked it in the store...always preamp hi and master lo!
I had the original and it had great cleans and a great fat solo sound....the only let down for me was that the clean didn't stay clean loud enough with humbuckers for what we were doing in the band.
The Mk2 was supposed to address that issue...and the cleans are better and louder.......but the gain channel is really thin and raspy!
I'm not trying to down them.....just telling it as I found it.
I have always wanted to try the Hellcat as almost everyone who has tried it raves about it.
Brian
BrianGT

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:29 pm

By the way......

I also took the TT home with me and A/B'd it with the 2061x....and although they have a different mid voice the TT held it's own!
It was 90% of the way there for a third of the price....and some would have definately prefered the TT.
Brian
BrianGT

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:31 am

I would trade for the marshall in a minute.
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bower
Orange Expert

Post by bower » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:57 am

no way man keep your AD30R!!

G&L Legacy, Brian Moore i2000, Orange AD30R :D

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:14 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Astroman</i>
<br />I have had my eye on a Marshall 2061X for some time and I played one again today. Bottom line is that it is just a VERY COOL amp that makes me want it.
Not excactly cheap though - especially if I want the cab that goes with it (which I of course do), so the AD30R might go up for sale.

The funny thing is that I can in no way justify this kind of change/purchase except I just WANT IT, and new things are fun. I love my AD and I may regret getting rid of it but it is just the way things work.

Any thoughts or comments?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
A very very good amp if you ask me, though it's a one-trick pony. It doesn't do much much than to rock your socks off. But it does it as good as the Marshall name is known for.
Plus, this amp is also Made from scratch in the UK, unlike many many other brittish amps..

So basically I'm all plus one for feider!
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

songwriter07
Orange Expert

Post by songwriter07 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:19 pm

I dunno... It does seem like a sweet little amp, but you may very well regret it. I guess if you aren't in love with your AD you might as well go for it.

I know if I did it I would have a sick feeling in my stomach for quite a while.

Tough choice, good luck.
Blake

sig... maybe later

damienwatt_au
Orange Master

Post by damienwatt_au » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:25 pm

the devil told me if you sell ur AD30 he will claim your soul for 2 thousand years,im not joking DONT SELL IT

bower
Orange Expert

Post by bower » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:26 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by damienwatt_au</i>
<br />the devil told me if you sell ur AD30 he will claim your soul for 2 thousand years,im not joking DONT SELL IT
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:twisted:

G&L Legacy, Brian Moore i2000, Orange AD30R :D