The AD may be on its way out

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:47 am

Hi Lars,

Interesting thought. Why do you want to sell your AD? Is it not covering the bases you need it to for your music? If you think the Marshall will do it better, then swap. I've hung onto my AD30 despite getting the Matamp simply as they're different beasts. The AD30 does things that the other doesn't so I like to hang onto it.

If it's just GAS that's getting you, i'd say keep your hands away from your wallet until you've had a good long time trialling the Marshall with your guitar at the store and decide that it's what you need.

If it's not better than the Orange for what you do, leave it be...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Astroman
Orange Expert

Post by Astroman » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:43 pm

Hi Joe
There is nothing in what you say that I would argue with.
The AD covers about everything I need...but, GAS can take different shapes and forms.
For starters, I am not a serious musician who depend on a certain sound. I play i a little band (with a drummer that currently have no drums) which is not dependent on me sounding like this or that. I am the definition of a hobbyist.
I have come to realize, however, that part of my interest in playing is related to gear (as it probably is for most of you hanging on this forum). I just love to get to know different stuff, and I mean 'really' know, like sitting late in the night, moving the mid dial ever so slightly and observing sonic variances. At 39, with small kids and a truly slipping golf game, playing guitar AND doodling with my gear is probably the greatest of my pleasures (outside my family). Going for a new amp is initially fuelled by some kind of 'need' illusion, but in the end it is pretty much about wanting to get to know something else. I will probably miss the AD to some degree AND the Marshall will likely be replaced by something else down the road.
I explained it to my wife as this:
'Let me stop trying to convince you about why I need this or that and accept that I just think it is a lot of fun learning about, buying and trying out different stuff.'
This has a price but so would any hobby (I always threaten her with motorcycles - I tell her I could always pick up that as a hobby). I can afford quality acquisitions but I cannot justify building and arsenal of equipment so keeping the AD while dropping €2000 on the marshall would not go over well - even for myself.

Does this make sense?
Lars