Orange 1x12 review...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

BayofPigs
Orange Hero

Post by BayofPigs » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:34 am

Alright so since my bassist has gotten his new job and house, my Matamp 4x12 is at his house in his basement and doesn't get played often due to his new job taking up a lot of his time. My 2x12 was sold a while ago, man do I regret that!

So after practice was cancelled today for the umpteenth time I got frustrated, broke out the ol credit card and went to get a 1x12 so I could play my heads through something, at low volume of course, because an OR120 or Matamp would eat that lil V30 for breakfast! The new Rockververb 50 was able to be cranked a fair bit though.

All in all I give the 1x12 a 6/10. The sound is pretty good, but jesus f'n christ for the money you pay for these things bubbles in the tolex and the cheap Orange logo and crest makes me want to choke somebody. The orange tint is different than the normal Orange tolex, as mentioned by someone else on the forum. I understand that Orange is trying to make things more affordable for the masses, but I almost wish I would have got the Mesa 1x12 the store had in stock.

Now don't get me wrong I am a happy customer, but expected a little more from a brand that I have been loyal to and obsessed over for the past five years.

Sometimes I really worry about the current direction of the Orange line and hope that quality does not get sacrificed in order to cash in. I hope Cliff and company realize this and that things get ironed out because these Chinese cabinets are not up to the Orange standard and the money that is charged.
Orange OR120
Matamp Legend 120
Matamp 4x12
Fender Jazzmaster
www.myspace.com/tommyjarvisband

windsen
Tiny Terror

Post by windsen » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:44 am

+1

I too was very dissapointed by the construction details and quality of the ppc112. It sounds great but I'm not sure it's totally worth the price tag.
| Splawn | Orange | Gibson | ESP |

bower
Orange Expert

Post by bower » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:19 pm

ahh that makes me uneasy - was it purely cosmetic issues you have with it or is the sound not great either?

G&L Legacy, Brian Moore i2000, Orange AD30R :D

Luke
Orange Master

Post by Luke » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:10 pm

I like the way mine sounds, especially since the speaker has broken in. The bubbles in the tolex and crooked Orange badge is very dissapointing though.

Acid Test

Post by Acid Test » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:55 pm

If Orange's aim was to make things more affordable, then they have failed. The Krank Rev. Jr. cabs are better quality at a much lower price - you could could get 7 Krank cabs at the price of 4 Orange cabs. They also sound fantastic.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BayofPigs</i>
<br />
I understand that Orange is trying to make things more affordable for the masses, but I almost wish I would have got the Mesa 1x12 the store had in stock.

Sometimes I really worry about the current direction of the Orange line and hope that quality does not get sacrificed in order to cash in. I hope Cliff and company realize this and that things get ironed out because these Chinese cabinets are not up to the Orange standard and the money that is charged.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

smalltownzero
Rocker

Post by smalltownzero » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:07 pm

I was also a little disappointed in the quality of workmanship on the cab. The sound...the sound is great...but for the three and half bills I paid for it I kind of expected it too look like it could take some punishment.
Mark

Blainy
Orange Master

Post by Blainy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:54 pm

6/10 because the tolex didn't match your curtains? Do we buy Orange cos it's pretty or cos it sounds great? Put some nice purple flowers in a vase on top and no-one will notice.

BayofPigs
Orange Hero

Post by BayofPigs » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:09 am

No Blainy, the 6/10 didn't come from the tolex shade being different, I could care less about that. What concerned me the most was the way the tolex was put on the cabinet. For the money paid I would have expected better is all I am saying.
Orange OR120
Matamp Legend 120
Matamp 4x12
Fender Jazzmaster
www.myspace.com/tommyjarvisband

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:17 am

I know where you are coming from.
Your Orange 2x12 and your Matamp 4 x12 will have perfectly glued tolex......so you have something to compare it with.
Made in China shouldn't bother us if the quality is the same....but it isn't.........and how far down the line do we go before we say...."Well it isn't quite built the same but it sounds ok" to "It isn't quite built the same and it DOESN'T sound ok".......

Trouble is...........we are giving all our nmanufacturing away to the Chinese because it is cheaper.........they are just waiting for the day when they can say "This is what we charge now...go make it yourself if you can do it cheaper....Oh...you don't have the factories anymore??"
Brian
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:34 am

"This is what we charge now...go make it yourself if you can do it cheaper....Oh...you don't have the factories anymore??"

Or the Dollars, or the Pounds for that matter. They do...
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Acid Test

Post by Acid Test » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:04 am

The Krank 1x12" is much cheaper, is higher quality, sounds great and is made in the states.

BListic
Orange Master

Post by BListic » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:30 am

the tolex on my 112 and logo etc was all perfect.

that makes me happy :)

_B_
Bryan
Southern California
=====================
That's the most powerful trank gun on the market!
=====================

windsen
Tiny Terror

Post by windsen » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:35 am

The tolex wasn't really an issue with mine. What I was really dissapointed with was the grill cloth. It's loose in the center and over time kind of sinks in or comes out making the front look real cheap. Out of the two ppc112s I own, both have this problem although it's only bad in one of the them. The other seems okay. But I checked out a bunch out the local store and just about all of them had issues with the grill cloth.

Either way I still think they sound great =)
| Splawn | Orange | Gibson | ESP |

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:39 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Acid Test</i>
<br />The Krank 1x12" is much cheaper, is higher quality, sounds great and is made in the states.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"><u></u>+1
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blainy
Orange Master

Post by Blainy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:01 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BListic</i>
<br />the tolex on my 112 and logo etc was all perfect.

that makes me happy :)

_B_
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

So was mine. And I would have been unhappy if it was hanging off. Actually, it does look pretty.:D