ad140tc too loud?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

pigwagner

Post by pigwagner » Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:26 pm

AD140 owners:

I'm thinking about getting the twin channel head (if I can find somewhere in this godforsaken place to play through one). My question is: is it really too loud for club gigging? I have a JCM900 SL-X that isn't too loud. Will the ad140tc really be too loud on stage at a club? I play in a three piece, and getting a big sound with lots of low end is what I need. Having two channels is a big deal too. Would a Marshall PB-100 solve any volume issues I might have? Thanks.

wvhillbilly

Post by wvhillbilly » Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:43 pm

you can pull it off. this amp is not a one trick pony. i play with a good bit of low end. but it is a lot louder than a jcm 900 sl-x i had one before i got my orange also.

hide the bibles from the youth
hide the bibles from the youth

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:04 pm

You might not need the Power Brake but it could be useful if you want a more full-out sound. The masters are very good though and the amp would probably work fine for you even turned down. Billy

pigwagner

Post by pigwagner » Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:32 pm

Thanks for the response. I found a store in Houston with an ad140tc and an ad30tc combo. I'll try em both. Here's an interesting webpage I found about wattage and driving power tubes versus pre-amp tubes.

http://dobermanamps.com/faq.html

I have an Ampeg 412 cab that I like very much so maybe an ad30htc would fit well.

Axmaster

Post by Axmaster » Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:15 am

The Houston Orange Dealer is Great Southern Music on Highway 6. Ask for Justin. Just got back from doing a shoot out with my OR120 and the AD140TC. The AD140TC sounds great through the Orange 4-12. Very loud with thick tone and great clarity. BUT, the OR120 is even bigger and badder. Maybe the AD140 Lead is a better match. I'd love to have one of the new heads as well as the OR120 'cause they're just so cool looking. Played the combos, too. The AD30 may not be as versatile, but it sounds a lot better than the AD30TC.

gearnut
Tiny Terror

Post by gearnut » Sat Nov 09, 2002 1:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
The Houston Orange Dealer is Great Southern Music on Highway 6. Ask for Justin. Just got back from doing a shoot out with my OR120 and the AD140TC. The AD140TC sounds great through the Orange 4-12. Very loud with thick tone and great clarity. BUT, the OR120 is even bigger and badder. Maybe the AD140 Lead is a better match. I'd love to have one of the new heads as well as the OR120 'cause they're just so cool looking. Played the combos, too. The AD30 may not be as versatile, but it sounds a lot better than the AD30TC.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

I've got the ad30tc and like it alot. I think it's definitely a different beast though than the AD30. The ad30 is a bit cleaner, a bit more well, maybe voxy is the word. I love it, it's a great amp, but I felt I needed two channels. I love my ad30tc and it definitely holds it's own. People seem to bag on it alot for some reason...