your bands name

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

robotfactory
Tiny Terror

Post by robotfactory » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:46 am

here is the story behind my current band's name: i'll fight for thomas

we wanted to call the baned "portman" (yes, after natalie), however, we decided to not go this route as there was already a band in the UK called "portman". we were sure that we only wanted to use a one-word band name. during a "band name conversation" my buddy / the other guitarist in our band said, "lets just call it 'thomas'". my response was, "how are we ever going to convince people to join a band called thomas"? his response was, "i'll fight for thomas". we both paused, looked at each other, and said, there it is.

thomas = vada's friend in the movie my girl, if you wanted to know why thomas was chosen to begin with.

Frank H
Orange Master

Post by Frank H » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:05 am

Believe it or not this poison was our drink of choice around 20 years ago. Made in Sommerville Massachusetts. We weren't a real band but we had gig offers. When someone asked Kats, our bass player what the name of the band was the first thing out of his head was,"Zig & The Allens 100",
Quickly shortened to the Allens.
Our official logo was lifted right off the bottle. Probably a good thing we're not that big.

basshole
Orange Expert

Post by basshole » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:09 am

For some reason we got stuck in aviation when discussing our band name, there's a certain timeless feeling about aeroplanes, rangin from the 50-60's through this date.
99% of the time you get on a plane you're heading somewhere you look forward to going.
At first we thought of "Pan Am" but for obvious (legal) reasons we scratched that early on and ended up with Jet Airliner.

Of course that awesome song by Steve Miller, whom we both love, played it's part as well.
Andreas

McCartney - Lynne - Langdon - Sting - Miller - Jenkins - Hendrix

teenagekick
Orange Master

Post by teenagekick » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:22 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gillyzoom</i>
<br />The band plays a mixture of psycho punk blues swampabilly white trash rock'n roll.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Is this a joke only a few people would know, or what you actually play?
hi, i'm ross. i'm 16 and i live in north london. i have rocker 30 combo and a Gordon Smith Gypsy 2 in black.

finally a sig i can be proud of!!

BayofPigs
Orange Hero

Post by BayofPigs » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:50 am

The Tommy Jarvis Band

Me and my friend at the time were just jamming in the garage and would record everything we did. One night when we were drinking and watching the fourth Friday the 13th film we were cracking up at a very young and hilarious Corey Feldman. His character in the movie was Tommy Jarvis, so it started as a joke and kind of still is. I would like to come up with a better band name, but it is funny watching people scratch their heads when you tell them the name.
Orange OR120
Matamp Legend 120
Matamp 4x12
Fender Jazzmaster
www.myspace.com/tommyjarvisband

bgarrett_uk
Orange Master

Post by bgarrett_uk » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:46 am

Dave Rich Band

The Piano player is Dave Rich and it's his band.

We have thought up some other names for it - but I can't print any of them here.

inmytimeodying

Post by inmytimeodying » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:55 am

Ranges
it's my last name and the drummer's (we're brothers) and the other two members are also brothers, and it was decided we had the cooler last name.

Snitz User
Orange Master

Post by Snitz User » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:07 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by teenagekick</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gillyzoom</i>
<br />The band plays a mixture of psycho punk blues swampabilly white trash rock'n roll.

Is this a joke only a few people would know, or what you actually play?

do u specialize in being a SMART AR-E or does it just come natural you know what u can do you little tool...... 2 fingers too you little man

airforce_brian
Orange Master

Post by airforce_brian » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:47 am

My current band name is Space Is For Stars. Our singer wanted to name us something to do with sleep, such as sleep city, or something to do with film, such as 50's film noire or a few others I can't remember. I didn't want to end up in a band with names like either of these so I started throwing out random suggestions and Space Is For Stars was one of them. I actually suggested it as a joke, and ended up agreeing to it just so we wouldn't have one of his names, but now I really like the name. Previous bands I was in were Loophole, 7 Days Late, and Pave the Rainforest(was a joke, and we don't condone that type of activity)
PRS Custom 24
American Vintage 62 Jazzmaster
Orange AD140
Orange PPC 412
http://www.myspace.com/brianellismusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bentfinger
Orange Master

Post by Bentfinger » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:56 am

Well, I played in a band in the 90's called Roadside Prophets (almost famous). Broke up in 97, and I started a project called "Cold Pole" (hard to say when Phucked upp). Rejoined my partner from RP in 2000, who had started a band called "FragileX with the Bassist from Hallows Eve. Jammed with them a few times / no mojo. After 200 gigs, they split. My partner from RSP, and I, rejoined to form a new version of FX, and after i found out what FragileX was, I wanted to change the name to "Jane Fondle". But, since the name was well known in Atl, and we had a CD, No Prob. The upside is.. Now there are alot of people who know what Fragilex is because of the band... Actually.. Forget the name.. I just wanna play..
http://www.myspace.com/fragilexrock
www.reverbnation.com/fragilex

"I Wanted To Be A Rock Star, But I Must of Been Standing In The Wrong Line"

MSP
Orange Master

Post by MSP » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:18 am

Let's see, I go by Bristol the Orange, because I read some short story about an orange that was actually a tangerine and it was mixed up and the orange was named Bristol. It was silly but amusing.

Most recently I've started a death polka band. It's a joke of course. We're called FORK, because Spoon was taken and it's abbreviation we don't know what for, but it sounded metal in a humourous way.

The last band didn't have a name.

The one before was originally The Carousel Pie, because my friend and I were really into eating pies at the time and carousel pie sounded like a type of pyschedellic drug. Then we were Bunny Funeral, because this other friend of ours was stoned once and he tried to think of the saddest thing and he thought a bunny funeral would be the saddest thing.

Honourable mention: Dirt Cat. We had an idiot music teacher whose band was called Mud Dog and they play really awful blues.
http://www.myspace.com/sleuthband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

riffmonster
Orange Master

Post by riffmonster » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:32 am

current covers band 'skynful' was formed out of two previous bands - skynt and spoonful.

Bit dull really :D
Mark

mike
Orange Expert

Post by mike » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:34 am

sombre reptile comes from Sombre reptiles in the Brian Eno's "Another green world" (1976)

rabies
Orange Master

Post by rabies » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:19 am

well, one of my bands is called "a day at the arcade"
although i've recently given up on this band because we can't find a drummer, and my bassist thinks that pot is more important than the band/friendship
i was just driving one day and it just sort of popped into my head

my current band joined a couple months ago, we're called "the truth in fiction"
they invited me to join after they had come up with the name...i'd like to change it because there is already a band using that name

Aslan
Orange Master

Post by Aslan » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:44 pm

The Wildcats, We were all attending Kansas State University (the Wildcats), so the name was easy.

Gear:
Retro 50 & PPC212
RV50H & PPC212
65Amps Royal Albert
65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS David Grissom
PRS Prism
PRS Santana MD
PRS 305
PRS Hollowbody II single cut
PRS Sunburst 22