I'm part of the Tiny Terror club finally!!!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

TheHog107
Tiny Terror

Post by TheHog107 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:18 pm

Hi All!

I just wanted to say 'hi', my Tiny Terror came in a week ago and I have to say I'm really really impressed. I got the 1*12 Orange Cabinet with it and the bass coming out of it is insane 8). This amp is fantastic for Heavy Metal to Blues. I really have to say I usually end up turning the gain down, even for metal stuff.

To all those looking for an apartment amp, I have found that often I'm getting a better sound with the volume turned down to about a 1/4, it actually seems to open up the sound quite a bit.

Cheers!

kungfu
Orange Expert

Post by kungfu » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:52 pm

Welcome to the forum!
It's great to hear that you like your TT:)
Which speaker do you have in your PPC 112?

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:58 pm

Cool and Congrats!
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

Aslan
Orange Master

Post by Aslan » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:44 pm

Welcome, I will warn you Orange amps are ten times more addictive that cocaine! Two of my friends have Tiny Terrors and love them, they are a great amp for getting a solid sound in a small package. Enjoy!

Gear:
Retro 50 & PPC212
RV50H & PPC212
65Amps Royal Albert
65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS David Grissom
PRS Prism
PRS Santana MD
PRS 305
PRS Hollowbody II single cut
PRS Sunburst 22

TheHog107
Tiny Terror

Post by TheHog107 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:20 pm

I believe my speaker is a vintage 30 ? (does that sound rite?) I'll have to check tonight...

Its funny cause I also own a Fender Blues Jr and everyone always talks about how "Boxey" it sounds. I never really knew what that meant until I started playing the Tiny Terror and went back to the Blues Junior. The Tiny Terry really opens up the tone.

Orange amps are addictive? Man I'm in trouble I'm super quick on the GAS. I started buying Fulltone pedals in the spring, and I'm up to 12 pedals (5 of which are ODs) Is there a Gear Junkie Anonymous meeting somewhere???

Cheers!

Grim
Tiny Terror

Post by Grim » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:37 pm

Hi there & welcome to the club.

Interesting that you find the bass coming out of the TT insane.....makes me wonder if mine is faulty because I've done nothing but struggle to get it sounding full enough since buying it a month back.....changed tubes, bought a new p/up, I'm trying new pedals & I'm still finding the sound a little thin. :(

really bugging me as I'm generally loving the sound of the amp - Just wish it had more bottom end.
Grim

Blainy
Orange Master

Post by Blainy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:50 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TheHog107</i>
<br />I believe my speaker is a vintage 30 ? (does that sound rite?) I'll have to check tonight...

Its funny cause I also own a Fender Blues Jr and everyone always talks about how "Boxey" it sounds. I never really knew what that meant until I started playing the Tiny Terror and went back to the Blues Junior. The Tiny Terry really opens up the tone.

Orange amps are addictive? Man I'm in trouble I'm super quick on the GAS. I started buying Fulltone pedals in the spring, and I'm up to 12 pedals (5 of which are ODs) Is there a Gear Junkie Anonymous meeting somewhere???

Cheers!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Welcome, my man. And congrats on your choice. The standard speaker now is indeed the vintage 30, 16 Ohms. Don't know if this is the reason why it sounds better at lower volume. Mine's got the 100W 8 Ohmer in it, and it sounds better the harder you push it; more and more punch and grunt. Mind you, even in a room 15x10m with a high ceiling, I've yet to get it on 15W setting for more than a few minutes - when I did the rest of the band complained it was too loud. At rehearsal there yesterday I was running 7W, volume about 2 o'clock and gain between 10 and 3:D depending on the requirement.

Chaig

Post by Chaig » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:03 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Grim</i>
<br />
Hi there & welcome to the club.

Interesting that you find the bass coming out of the TT insane.....makes me wonder if mine is faulty because I've done nothing but struggle to get it sounding full enough since buying it a month back.....changed tubes, bought a new p/up, I'm trying new pedals & I'm still finding the sound a little thin. :(

really bugging me as I'm generally loving the sound of the amp - Just wish it had more bottom end.

Hey Grim,

I was at first worried about the bottom end of the TT before I got it and my cab, but I got a 2x12 with a V30 and G12H30 (which is suppose to have a bit more of a tighter bottom end) with a closed back and there is plenty of bottom end there. I also from time to time use a boss GE-7 pedal to e q even more sounds in and can add even more bass to it, sometimes too much bottom end.

So if you haven't already, try playing around with a equalizer pedal a bit - it could help you out.

Grim
Tiny Terror

Post by Grim » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:09 pm

Thanks Chaig.

I'm running a single V30 PPC112 sometimes doubled with another V30 open backed cab. Sounds better with the 2 but doesn't fill out the bottom any.

My choice of guitar is obviously a big part of it, I use a Tokai Junior style with only a bridge P90, but still I never had any issue before with my Laney combo.

Maybe an eq pedal is the answer to my concerns, more spending though!!
Grim

Dunky
Orange Expert

Post by Dunky » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:14 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TheHog107</i>
<br />I believe my speaker is a vintage 30 ? (does that sound rite?) I'll have to check tonight...

Cheers!

Yeah that's the main problem I'm finding with my TT... makes the amps I had before sound flat so I don't use them so I get loads of 'what's all this stuff lying around the house for' off the wife. There should have been a warning on the box....; compensation claim coming:D

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:46 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dunky</i>
....so I get loads of 'what's all this stuff lying around the house for' off the wife. ....

Story of my wife...and it is partially true.
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

Dunky
Orange Expert

Post by Dunky » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:08 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rrrajo</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dunky</i>
....so I get loads of 'what's all this stuff lying around the house for' off the wife. ....

Story of my wife...and it is partially true.

yeah but to be honest she deserves a gold medal for putting up with me. I'm Spoiled rotten most of the time ;)

TheHog107
Tiny Terror

Post by TheHog107 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:16 pm

Wow Grim,

I'm surprise your having trouble with the bass. Mine sounds anything but thin, in fact I turn up the treble just to thin it up a bit. (maybe this is cause I came from a Fender Blues Jr?) The guitars I play with it are a Jackson Soloist, Gibson SG and Fender AM Strat. They all sound good. I find I'm getting the best sounds by turning the amp up to just distorting and throwing an OD pedal on top. The AC booster really tightens things up and brings out the harmonics.

Cheers!

Blainy
Orange Master

Post by Blainy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:53 pm

re Bottom end.

I play a 2005 LP Standard. I have the tone control on the TT almost permanently on full treble. I'm intrigued to try single coils through it, but with the LP...

You have put a thought in my mind. The reason I went for the high treble setting was because (especially on the neck PU) at bedroom volume the tone tended to be a bit muddy. But turn it up and the muddiness goes completely. Next time I crank it, I'll turn the tone anti-clockwise and see what happens!

TheHog107
Tiny Terror

Post by TheHog107 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:11 pm

Well I guess its not just me. My treble is usually around 3 oclock. The single coil pickups go great with the Tiny Terror, although I play with much less gain when using my strat. I find turning up the volume tends to muddy up the tone a bit as well. How loud do you usually have your TT?