Things would be better if TT got a FXloop

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Vincent87

Post by Vincent87 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:18 pm

finally tried the TT in Hong Kong's local music shop.
again, i was being touched by the sound of Orange, and am thinking to buy a TT for some smaller gigs...HOWEVER the lack of FX loop in TT really deducts some points as i need it for my set...
anyone feels the same way or just "forgive" it coz of its pretty sound?

anyway, would there be any ways to add the fx loop to it?
Gibson SG gothic
Fender MIJ Telecaster Vintage 62
ORANGE Rockerverb 100
ORANGE PPC412 cabinet
ImageImage

johnreardon
Orange Expert

Post by johnreardon » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:47 pm

Personally never use effects, so it doesn't bother me. In fact, the simpler the better as far as I am concerned

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:49 pm

If it had an FX loop, it would no longer be Tiny or cheap.

I don't "forgive" it - it just is what it is! And I like it. If an FX loop is really that important to you - just get a looper pedal OR adjust all your effects so they sound good in front of the pre-amp.
Greg

paul watts
Orange Master

Post by paul watts » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:14 pm

Anything's possible if you throw enough money at it..
Would involve gutting the TT and installing another valve,wiring and a couple of jack sockets.
There are some which have had aftermarket DI out installed.

The question is why??? The beauty of this little amp is the simplicity, three knobs, two switches, an input jack, speakers out, plug in and away you go...

We don't deduct any points, less is more....
Catch our latest recordings at:http://www.myspace.com/terrymackley.

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:29 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by paul watts</i>

The question is why??? The beauty of this little amp is the simplicity, three knobs, two switches, an input jack, speakers out, plug in and away you go...

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Exactly, I bought it for what it is. If you keep adding things , before you know it, you have a Rocker 30. Which is fine too, but it would not be at that price any longer.

If you asked me three years ago, I would not have bought one as it does not have an Effects Loop nor Reverb. Now, I have learned to play without both and prefer it. None of my amps have Reverb.

I would not put a Line out on the TT. I only say that because for about 70.00 you can buy a REd Box that utilizes one of your speaker outs and converts it to a DI Signal.
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

MSP
Orange Master

Post by MSP » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:43 pm

If you need an effects loop that much it might not be the amp for you.
http://www.myspace.com/sleuthband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dunky
Orange Expert

Post by Dunky » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:50 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Norrin Radd</i>
<br />If it had an FX loop, it would no longer be Tiny or cheap.

I don't "forgive" it - it just is what it is! And I like it. If an FX loop is really that important to you - just get a looper pedal OR adjust all your effects so they sound good in front of the pre-amp.

Used to use lots of reverb/effects 'cos I thought I needed them, after a few months with TT have weened off them ' less is better', but if you really need the effects loop then TT may not be for you.

BTW what's a looper pedal?... never heard of them but am intregued none the less:?:

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:05 pm

There are two kinds of pedals referred to as "Loopers".

1. Digital recording device fashioned in a Pedal that records a few seconds of your guitar and plays them in a Loop for you to jam on.

2. Pedal that has a Loop in it that you can control several other pedals. For example, you may have three pedals that you want to switch on Simultaneously. In this case you would run them into this "looper" pedal and you can turn on/shut off only those without disturbing the rest in the Pedal Board.
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

Dunky
Orange Expert

Post by Dunky » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:09 pm

Ah I get it now ... thanks for the explanation :)

Blainy
Orange Master

Post by Blainy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:38 pm

My FX loop is my Zoom G2. I don't use any of the gain/drive FX on it, except if it's just for a few bars with the TT set totally clean (gain below 10 o'clock). With the G2 gain 'off' you can use just about all the other FX and of course, the TT gain sounds great when you need it.

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:59 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dunky</i>

Used to use lots of reverb/effects 'cos I thought I needed them, after a few months with TT have weened off them ' less is better', .....

Weening oneself off Pedal Effects is the Healthiest, Cost-Efficient Goal for a Guitarist!
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

tmv91

Post by tmv91 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:09 pm

I do not know very much about amps/heads, so is an FX loop where the effects are built into it?

airforce_brian
Orange Master

Post by airforce_brian » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:19 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tmv91</i>
<br />I do not know very much about amps/heads, so is an FX loop where the effects are built into it?
An fx loop consists of a "Send" jack which sends the signal out of the amp, after the preamp, and a "Return" jack which goes back in to the poweramp. An fx loop doesn't contain any fx, it is just a way to place effect pedals after the preamp section of your amp. Some effects such as modulation and delay effects often sound better after the preamp, and others such as distortion pedals or wah's sound better before the preamp.
PRS Custom 24
American Vintage 62 Jazzmaster
Orange AD140
Orange PPC 412
http://www.myspace.com/brianellismusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:54 pm

After using the tt and ad30, and the soldano astroverb, I will never buy another amp with more knobs. Simplicity is so much more.
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chaig

Post by Chaig » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:32 am

Hi Vincent,

I have the TT and I like it just fine without the FX loop. I sometimes have a boss ge-7 infront and it works just fine. Like others have said, it is what it is - just like the Valve Junior wouldn't be what it is if it had the extra applications that the TT has. I would just go for what you "need", if you really need an FX loop, go for an amp that has one. The very few pedals i've had in front of the TT have worked great with it.

BTW, I come from HK, I'm guessing you checked the TT out at Tom Lee? I always disliked going to Tom Lee as most of the people that worked there always had serious attitude - it has by far the worst service I've ever experienced in any guitar shop ever - every time I asked to check something out they would act like I was asking them to give up their left arm or something. I remember that quite a few years ago one of the guys there actually told me I couldn't try any guitars that were above $10,000hk (about $1200 US) if I wasn't seriously considering buying it. Another time me and a friend of mine had a few hours to kill and we spent it jamming in Tom Lee (at "low" volume), and they actually told us to stop playing because we jammed for a while and didn't buy anything. And don't even think of trying out an amp by seeing what it sounds like cranked, it would be equal to shouting profanity at their mothers. And then when some local musician with a name (big fish in a very small fish bowl) come in, everyone starts brown nosing them.

The only reason the people I knew put up with going to Tom Lee was because HK doesn't "really" have other options for other shops - Tom Lee pretty much cornered the guitar market and drove other places out of business, and compared to the stores I've been to here in the US, their variety and quailty of gear is a joke. For thoughs who are unfamiliar with Tom Lee, it is Hong Kong's "Guitar Center", but 10x worst stocked and 100x less friendly.

Sorry for the rant, but I was just reminded of my crappy experiences there, which were pretty much all my experiences there.