~sigh~ Dilemma.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

WannaBWeiland
Orange Master

Post by WannaBWeiland » Wed May 30, 2007 2:00 am

Well, I have a rig that's capable of crushing the heaviest of alternative, grunge, and metal bands. As of lately, maybe even the last few months or so, I've been playing a lot of clean and just overdriven stuff with my box of rock and wah pedal. I'm thinkin' of gettin' rid of my Les Paul studio and gettin' one of those new Fender Classic '60s strats. What do ya guys think about it? I know that the Dual Recs don't have the best of cleans, but mine cleans up pretty damn well. Thinkin' about gettin' a Vox AC15 to tide me over as well and then put the half stack on reserve for when I use humbuckers or wanna play some metal stuff.

I've been having a few financial dilemmas and I'm trying to reassure myself that all this equipment was worth it and that me struggling to keep on living normally with food, a place to live, and gas, etc. doesn't require me to sell all my sh*t.

I keep thinkin' that I'm gonna have to quit playing for awhile, pick up a third job, and be that guy who settles for a Gibson Songwriter in his bedroom that has 5 strings and a fishing line for a high E string and a broken tuner. Sorry for the ramble guys, but just lookin' for some advice. Thanks.
Gear:
'93 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Breedlove Studio C250/EO
Mesa Stiletto Ace
Mesa Vertical 2x12
CAE wah, Pitchblack, BB Preamp, Timmy, DM-2W

...and The Rumsfield

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Wed May 30, 2007 2:02 am

I would wholeheartedly reccomend an eric johnson strat. They are very nice. Or a nice g&l legacy. Just a suggestion.
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chaig

Post by Chaig » Wed May 30, 2007 2:56 am

Another good choice maybe one of those G&L superstrats from the mid to late 80's. One of those g&L superhawk's with 2 humbucker's or Invader's 2 single coils and 1 humbucker from the 80's sound awsome, and you can get a nice range of tone's through them too. You can find them used for pretty good deals.

Bael
Orange Expert

Post by Bael » Wed May 30, 2007 3:11 am

Could you give me a good description of your BOR? I am thinking of getting one for a JCM 800/2204 combo. Thanks...<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by WannaBWeiland</i>
<br />Well, I have a rig that's capable of crushing the heaviest of alternative, grunge, and metal bands. As of lately, maybe even the last few months or so, I've been playing a lot of clean and just overdriven stuff with my box of rock and wah pedal. I'm thinkin' of gettin' rid of my Les Paul studio and gettin' one of those new Fender Classic '60s strats. What do ya guys think about it? I know that the Dual Recs don't have the best of cleans, but mine cleans up pretty damn well. Thinkin' about gettin' a Vox AC15 to tide me over as well and then put the half stack on reserve for when I use humbuckers or wanna play some metal stuff.

I've been having a few financial dilemmas and I'm trying to reassure myself that all this equipment was worth it and that me struggling to keep on living normally with food, a place to live, and gas, etc. doesn't require me to sell all my sh*t.

I keep thinkin' that I'm gonna have to quit playing for awhile, pick up a third job, and be that guy who settles for a Gibson Songwriter in his bedroom that has 5 strings and a fishing line for a high E string and a broken tuner. Sorry for the ramble guys, but just lookin' for some advice. Thanks.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

professor plum
Orange Master

Post by professor plum » Wed May 30, 2007 3:36 am

p-94's(humbucker sized p-90's) in the studio>!> as it dose seem to me that you have bonded with it, and p-90s are awsome =)
valve.(((J0HN)))Resident village idiot
and some tech helper type said, "Gee, Mr Atkins, that guitar sure sounds fabulous!" Chet put the guitar on it's stand and said, "Well, how does it sound now?"

brinktile
Rocker

Post by brinktile » Wed May 30, 2007 4:48 am

Hey Feider,
Is that an Astroverb? Do you like it? Can you get that signiture Soldano overdriven sound with it?

Sorry to stray off the topic, but it looks cooooooooool!!!

Jarred.

Chaig

Post by Chaig » Wed May 30, 2007 4:50 am

You should check out something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-L-Invader-USA_W0Q ... dZViewItem

They have a g&L skyhawk with 3 single coils on ebay right now also. I have a g&l rampage that is plretty much the same guitar as this 80s Invader, but mine has 1 single humbucker and in volume nob. I should mention that I have a les paul standard, and I can get some equally thick and heavy tones with my rampage, and still have a that awsome strat tone. Seems like you'd be able to get an even wider range of tone from these Invaders, and you wouldn't have to give up that thick heavy tone either. And it has that awsome fat g&l headstock for a plus. Do I sound like a pusher yet? =)

Man I wish I had an unlimited budget laying around. Oh, just so you know, I'm not the seller, nor do I know the seller - just a huge fan of the 80s superstrats.

twisted99
Orange Expert

Post by twisted99 » Wed May 30, 2007 5:59 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chaig</i>
<br />You should check out something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-L-Invader-USA_W0Q ... dZViewItem

They have a g&L skyhawk with 3 single coils on ebay right now also. I have a g&l rampage that is plretty much the same guitar as this 80s Invader, but mine has 1 single humbucker and in volume nob. I should mention that I have a les paul standard, and I can get some equally thick and heavy tones with my rampage, and still have a that awsome strat tone. Seems like you'd be able to get an even wider range of tone from these Invaders, and you wouldn't have to give up that thick heavy tone either. And it has that awsome fat g&l headstock for a plus. Do I sound like a pusher yet? =)

Man I wish I had an unlimited budget laying around. Oh, just so you know, I'm not the seller, nor do I know the seller - just a huge fan of the 80s superstrats.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
+1
Having just got an 87 ASAT. I can say that the 80's G&L builsd quality is absolutely superb. Mine feels better than many custom shop models from fender or gibson. During the 80's very limited numbers were made to keep production quality high. I am very suprised they can be had for under a grand and have no doubt that the price is only going to rise.
Steve
1983 Gibson Firebrand "The SG Deluxe"
1987 G&L ASAT
Schecter Damien with GFS mean 90s
Rivera Knucklehead 100
Avatar contemporary custom blue 2x12 with eminence governers
Lots of Pedals
Orange Micro Crush

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Thu May 31, 2007 12:59 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by brinktile</i>
<br />Hey Feider,
Is that an Astroverb? Do you like it? Can you get that signiture Soldano overdriven sound with it?

Sorry to stray off the topic, but it looks cooooooooool!!!

Jarred.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"><u></u>Hey Jarred, sure is. No, the overdriven sound is great, but it isnt like the hr50. Although, it does good classic rock, and blues.
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Thu May 31, 2007 1:42 am

If you are concerned about finances, then I'd ditch the new Strat + amp idea. Just buy a used Strat when you can afford one. They are everywhere! Keep the Studio. It's much better to have two guitars and one amp.
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;