I finally got to play a tiny terror

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

paul watts
Orange Master

Post by paul watts » Sat May 26, 2007 9:53 am

+100...Did our first gig with the new Lady singer last night, in a two floor restaurant, which had a gallery where we were set up, and high ceiling, open roof space, acoustics were perfect..
It was almost like playing in a church...
The lady singer's set had a mixture of Porter , Gershwin, and we had charts nicely arranged.
Did ' How High the Moon' really fast, a sort of if you get lost on the way up, meet you on the way down ,kind of song..Lots of applause and relief for us at the end of the set..
This was the 10th live gig with the TT, with the right valves,and venue it is sublime...
Catch our latest recordings at:http://www.myspace.com/terrymackley.

paul watts
Orange Master

Post by paul watts » Sat May 26, 2007 10:12 am

Just by the by...Two week countdown for 'little rock' to arrive, this is a post from the Matamp forum, what they were originally going to call it
"one of the names that was considered for the amp was actually the "Wow" amp - based on the fact that most people say "wow" when they first hear a Matamp "
Will let y'all know compared to TT sounds when it arrives...don't hold your breath..TTFN
Catch our latest recordings at:http://www.myspace.com/terrymackley.

Simon Wicks
Orange Master

Post by Simon Wicks » Sat May 26, 2007 12:31 pm

You know there are people who have put together some nice mods for the Tiny Terror to improve the tone ;)

Chaig

Post by Chaig » Sat May 26, 2007 5:04 pm

I've tried that TT through a bunch of different cabs/speakers and I have to say that the different cabs produced really different tones - Some were to my liking a lot, some not so much. I ended up getting an Avatar 2x12 close back with V30/G12H30, because it had a similar sound to a Dr. Z cab I really liked. I think it's worth trying the TT through a bunch of different cabs (if you have the oppertunity) before decieding if it is for you or not - you may be plesantly surprized, or maybe not.

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Sat May 26, 2007 6:19 pm

i tried it through a marshall 4x12... 1960a.. and didnt like it!.. could tell there was somethin there.. but it seemed the cab wasnt doing it justice...
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Sat May 26, 2007 6:21 pm

They must be funny with certain cabs, after some of the reviews here. Mine sounds great thru my 212s, and 112. Never have tried it thru a 412.
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Sat May 26, 2007 6:25 pm

i could tell it would be really good at the sorta mid gain'd powerful tone... so when u roll back, it does a decent clean.. and stick a tube screamer infront.. to push it for a little more gain!
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

twisted99
Orange Expert

Post by twisted99 » Sun May 27, 2007 12:16 am

I think I will take my cab down to the shop and give it a run through on that.
Steve
1983 Gibson Firebrand "The SG Deluxe"
1987 G&L ASAT
Schecter Damien with GFS mean 90s
Rivera Knucklehead 100
Avatar contemporary custom blue 2x12 with eminence governers
Lots of Pedals
Orange Micro Crush

johnreardon
Orange Expert

Post by johnreardon » Sun May 27, 2007 2:00 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by feider</i>
<br />They must be funny with certain cabs, after some of the reviews here. Mine sounds great thru my 212s, and 112. Never have tried it thru a 412.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Gary Moore says in this month's Guitar mag that he used a TT + Marshall 2x12 on his new CD Close as you get. Not sure which track, but the whole CD is great.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sun May 27, 2007 3:02 pm

I pretty much concurred with Steve's review. I thought it was a great little amp, however, it wasn't knocking any of my current ones off their perch.

As with all the Rockers, I would not be ashamed to use one though: good range of sounds. Just happier with what I currently have...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

airforce_brian
Orange Master

Post by airforce_brian » Sun May 27, 2007 4:28 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mr_william</i>
<br />i tried it through a marshall 4x12... 1960a.. and didnt like it!.. could tell there was somethin there.. but it seemed the cab wasnt doing it justice...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I used to own a Marshall 1960A cab and I tried putting my RV50 through it one day and it sounded like absolute garbage. If I had of tried the orange through that cab in the store I would never have bought it. I think the orange sound just doesn't match those G12T75's.
PRS Custom 24
American Vintage 62 Jazzmaster
Orange AD140
Orange PPC 412
http://www.myspace.com/brianellismusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pr513
Tiny Terror

Post by pr513 » Sun May 27, 2007 8:57 pm

Hi all, my first post here. Done a lot of reading and thought I'd throw my hat in the ring.

I went to the London guitar show and tried out a TT and it sounded absolutely amazing- The guitar I tried was a gibson Les Paul and through an Orange Cab, but I'm not sure which. It had lovely Power amp distortion.

I bought one straight away and took it to a studio to crank it with a Marshall 4x12 and a Vintage 30 (sitting in a Laney Pro Tube AOR from the 80's) and whilst the pre-amp distortion was good, I was disappointed with cranked tone. I took it to Denmark Street and tried it with an Engl 2x 12 and felt the same.

I think a new set of tubes both the will definately bring out the best in the head, as well as an orange cab (which one will be decided by another trip to the music store with said TT) But it should sound good through both my speaker set-ups so given the lack of options changing the tubes is the only real option here.

My point is that if I hadn't heard the original potential of this head- and just ordered it and got it as is- I would be disasppointed.
Heres hoping a new set of tubes will change all that..

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sun May 27, 2007 11:19 pm

They will, but only to an extent... the circuit design drives the tone by and large, and new valves will only shape that, as with speakers. I'd suggest that different cabs & speakers will probably have a greater impact.

Presumably Ade designed the TT with the Orange cabs in mind.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

ssx

Post by ssx » Mon May 28, 2007 6:16 pm

I've had the TT for 6 months now w/avatar 212 v30/g12h30 cab. I maily kept it 15 watts but the volume was ratteling some things loose around the house. Then I found a real sweet spot on the 7 watt setting with the volume at 2 oclock and the gain at 11 oclock. Working with the guitar volume and an overdrive pedal I am amazed at the variation of tone I can get without causing my cats to have siezures.

pr513
Tiny Terror

Post by pr513 » Tue May 29, 2007 9:58 am

Thanks for info on speakers- I'm was thinking of buying a PPC112- the only reservation was that I'd read in a magazine that the Tiny Terror sounds better through a V30 as the speaker is close to saturation rather than the 100w PPC112- The other choice would be a PPC212 which I think is Ade's preference following the gearwire video-

Anyone compared a PPC212 and a PPC112? using a Tiny Terror?