ot: homegrown marketing

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

theinteriorleague
Orange Master

Post by theinteriorleague » Fri May 25, 2007 3:50 pm

Curious to see, who here does their own flyers, shirts, buttons, cd design/layout? Post some pics.

This flyer is prior to the band name change.

a pair of buttons (the green and purple look good on an off-white print stock):

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Fri May 25, 2007 4:35 pm

When you are just starting, you have to. I like the artwork.

The guitarist in a band I record has a girlfriend who is an artist, so that helps. He also is majoring in a program in Music Business, so he has been indocrinated in how to promote. So far they have buttons and posters. They need to make some money before moving on to t-shirts and hats.

In previous life, we used to post all of own flyers, because the venue would not be as aggressive as we would be. We also negotiated for more of the gate if we did the promotion. That has incentive built into it.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grim
Tiny Terror

Post by Grim » Fri May 25, 2007 4:39 pm

Here's a current flyer (in the spirit of shameless self promotion) :oops:

Our singer is a graphic designer in the real world so we let him get on with it!

Grim

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat May 26, 2007 12:45 am

I do the graphics and website for The Allens... I think this is going to become a t-shirt soon...

notagain

Post by notagain » Sat May 26, 2007 12:46 am

You do the Aliens too?

notagain

Post by notagain » Sat May 26, 2007 12:47 am

I would love one of the Allen's T-Shirts, and would
of course pay for it.

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Sat May 26, 2007 1:38 am

Personally, I would like the Limited Run Collectors Edition "Aliens" Shirt.
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

wallis
Tiny Terror

Post by wallis » Sat May 26, 2007 12:40 pm

Notice the lobster!
Erik

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Sat May 26, 2007 4:56 pm

ive seen bands make thier own "beer mats" as they usually play pubs and clubs.. usually contains other gig dates.. myspace.. band email.. name.. photo.. that kinda stuff...

so yeah, as another idea to go along with this thread, "unique ways of self promotion".. and "what to contain in a poster" or somethin.. somethin a little less obvious than name, time etc.. could help some people out!

to get a background of a poster, i had windows media player do them there "visualisations" saw a good retro kinda white, orange and brown 1.. pressed "print screen" got it into paint.. used that.. it worked quite well!
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat May 26, 2007 5:10 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mr_william</i>
<br />ive seen bands make thier own "beer mats" as they usually play pubs and clubs.. usually contains other gig dates.. myspace.. band email.. name.. photo.. that kinda stuff...

so yeah, as another idea to go along with this thread, "unique ways of self promotion".. and "what to contain in a poster" or somethin.. somethin a little less obvious than name, time etc.. could help some people out!

to get a background of a poster, i had windows media player do them there "visualisations" saw a good retro kinda white, orange and brown 1.. pressed "print screen" got it into paint.. used that.. it worked quite well!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

The beermat/ coaster thing is a very cool idea. Sheryl and I were going to do it for our CD if we had ever finished it. No one around here (New England) has ever done it and it would be a cool thing to be the first band to do it.... They're not cheap though- I would have thought they would be an e=inexpensive means of promotion but all of the prices I was quoted were steeper than I would have thought...

ClamMan
Orange Expert

Post by ClamMan » Sat May 26, 2007 8:22 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bclaire</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mr_william</i>
<br />ive seen bands make thier own "beer mats" as they usually play pubs and clubs.. usually contains other gig dates.. myspace.. band email.. name.. photo.. that kinda stuff...

The beermat/ coaster thing is a very cool idea. Sheryl and I were going to do it for our CD if we had ever finished it. No one around here (New England) has ever done it and it would be a cool thing to be the first band to do it.... They're not cheap though- I would have thought they would be an e=inexpensive means of promotion but all of the prices I was quoted were steeper than I would have thought...

We sell a tile coaster with our CD cover on it for $5.25. I assume a cardboard/plastic beer mat would be quite a bit cheaper.
The Quahaugs
My band, my music, my gear
http://www.thequahaugs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Quahaugs/316363379010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/thequahaugs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Sat May 26, 2007 10:19 pm

yeah, but rather than sellin em... just a really cheep 1 almost like a flyer.. but as a beer mat.. its amazing how often people actually pick up beer mats, mess about with em.. and most importantly!... read them!
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

theinteriorleague
Orange Master

Post by theinteriorleague » Sun May 27, 2007 12:19 am

Billy, the coloring on that flyer is excellent.

Coasters are a great idea.

sadcorps
Rocker

Post by sadcorps » Sun May 27, 2007 2:10 am

The Youngs use relatives for T-Shirt designs, album covers, flyers etc.

Here are some examples -
Women's Shirt / CD Cover - Image

Men's T-Shirt - Image

Flyer -

Flyer - Image

Flyer - Image

Let me know if you want their contact information.
1971 Fender Precision Bass > Malekko Heavy Industry Barker Assmaster > Orange AD200B > Orange OCB410/Orange OCB115