Boost pedal

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

brinktile
Rocker

Post by brinktile » Sun May 20, 2007 6:27 am

I need a good boost pedal, any suggestions? I've Got a Tube screamer and an RC boost. They dont boost my signal enough for lead work, even when cranked all the way up.

What is everyone using for a boost?

Thanks, Jarred.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sun May 20, 2007 6:32 am

What amp are you using, and what is the amp set to (clean, dirty, low gain knob-highmaster, etc)?

brinktile
Rocker

Post by brinktile » Sun May 20, 2007 7:17 am

Retro 50 head. Gain 2:00, Volume 10:00, eq's at 12:00.

Keld
Tiny Terror

Post by Keld » Sun May 20, 2007 7:38 am

Sorry if I'm repeating myself form another thread, but you should try the bbpreamp. I like it a lot with the Retro 50 and it has separate controls for volume, gain, and high and low eq.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sun May 20, 2007 7:41 am

You might try using your pedals still, and just taking the gain knob back a bit to about 1:00. I found that I got bigger boost levels out of most of my pedals by doing this. I believe, at least to my ear, that when you crank up the gain to the 2:00 level, you start getting the really compressed tube sound, which is great, but a boost pedal only compresses things more, thus you won't be able to get the same reaction you would if you back the gain of, set the master to where you want, and then use the boost.

But then again, I'm not an owner of a Retro 50. Try this idea out though, it's simple, and may sound stupid, I know. I didn't think it would do much for my Rocker, but it was a great way to still get some guts out of my pedals.

brinktile
Rocker

Post by brinktile » Sun May 20, 2007 7:53 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Maybe I'll try the bbpreamp. What do you think of using my pedals in reverse. Turning up my amp and setting my RC boost for a lower sound, and when I go to my lead, hitting the boost off. Would this work?

brinktile
Rocker

Post by brinktile » Sun May 20, 2007 5:24 pm

Neil, backing off my gain even to about 10:00 doesnt do the job still. It just doesnt boost me enough to cut through in the band setting. I'm finding that I have to reach over and adjust my volume knob and then back it down after a solo.

There has to be a simple solution. How is everyone getting a decent boost level. Is anyone playing solo's?

Jarred.

guitarmy50
Orange Expert

Post by guitarmy50 » Sun May 20, 2007 5:42 pm

For boosting volume and gain a tad for solos alot of people seem to like the MXR Micro Amp. Alternately, sometimes I find it works to roll my guitar's volume down a bit, set the gain and volume on my amp how I like it based on that, and then turning the guitar's volume back up for lead work.

notagain

Post by notagain » Sun May 20, 2007 6:06 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by guitarmy50</i>
<br />For boosting volume and gain a tad for solos alot of people seem to like the MXR Micro Amp. Alternately, sometimes I find it works to roll my guitar's volume down a bit, set the gain and volume on my amp how I like it based on that, and then turning the guitar's volume back up for lead work.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

In most cases, IMHO, that is really all you would need
to do!

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sun May 20, 2007 7:15 pm

Jarred,

Just as a general point, for solos you should be boosting the volume of your guitar signal up to about the same as where vocals are. You shouldn't need to go louder. I'd be surprised if the RC boost doesn't help you there...

As a serious question, have you tried using your volume control instead?
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

half_deaf
Orange Master

Post by half_deaf » Sun May 20, 2007 7:29 pm

Do you have anyone in the crowd telling you about the mix? Not doubting what your are saying.. it just seems strange you cant get enough volume even with the boost cranked. As a guitarist and a soundman, these things stick out: 1)Are you cutting through the mix? sometimes a tweak of the EQ can help alot..especially if you have another guitar player or an overpowering bass player 2)Is your rhythm volume as loud as it needs to be ? Maybe your overall volume is too low before your lead work even starts. 3) Are these volumes from your stage perspective or from a trained ear in the crowd? Positioning in the room can really alter things.

Just some thoughts to ponder. If those dont work out, I dont know. The BBE Boosta Grande will give you 20 dB of clean gain. But at the end of that 20 dB spectrum = noise/hiss.
Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior !

Retired from the forum because of the intolerance of supposed "tolerant" people.... good night

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Sun May 20, 2007 8:24 pm

ive found rollin back helps loads.. and i also bulit myself this... just because i could!? hehe... stickin it out front of the amp.. allows it to act like a volume pot on the guitar, having a pre set ammount of roll off but in a footswitch... where as puttin it in the fxs loop.. just limits pre amp gain, into power amp.. so instead of rolling off gain like it would before.. all it does is alter the volume..

appoligies for the lovely picture quality! an i built it for about 15 quid.. 30 usd ish!?
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

brinktile
Rocker

Post by brinktile » Sun May 20, 2007 8:25 pm

Wow, this is why I love this forum. Great suggestions. As far as backing the guitar volume back, I loose some of my killer sound with it backed down on the rhythm. However, I will try it again.

Heath, I think you may have hit the nail on the head. We have an overpowering bass player,(right next to me when we play), and another guitarist who plays a cornford head that cuts through very well. So when I do some lead work I have a hard time cutting through, I may just not be loud enough. The other guitarist and the drummer cant hear me on lead work. We havent played out anywhere yet, so its not the audience.

brinktile
Rocker

Post by brinktile » Sun May 20, 2007 8:28 pm

I forgot to ask, is it a stupid Idea to play with my amp cranked with my RC boost on low for rhythm, and then kick the boost off for lead work?

Jarred

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Sun May 20, 2007 8:29 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by brinktile</i>
<br />Wow, this is why I love this forum. Great suggestions. As far as backing the guitar volume back, I loose some of my killer sound with it backed down on the rhythm. However, I will try it again.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

treble bleed mod?

that might help...

if u tweek the amp to sound as it would for ur rythem sound with ur guitar on 7 instead of 10.. then when u turn up.. use that!?
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .